Carnie Wilson - her two books - a recommendation...

DQ

Queen of the Damned
I don't even know why I ordered these, but I saw her on the TV the other day, and found myself trying to get hold of her books. I ended up getting them on eBay but that's cos I'm impatient :rolleyes:

I read the first one on Friday evening:

[amazon]1561709077[/amazon]

and although I don't think gastric bypass surgery is the answer for me, it was really interesting reading the thoughts and feelings of this person who wanted to lose 150 lbs. Some of the things she wrote really struck a chord in me - can't describe why, and am going to read the second book:

[amazon]1401902286[/amazon]

today as an update. I would recommend the first one - it makes you face up to some of the stuff we are all dealing with - that losing weight is just a part of the journey. We all need to do the headstuff too in one shape, form or other.

Really thought provoking but easy to read. A lot of people may already have dealt with this stuff and find her books a bit too 'cheesy' and light but they have helped me this weekend, and I think brought a lot of thoughts to the forefront and I wanted to share it with you guys.

:)

that losing weight is just a part of the journey. We all need to do the headstuff too in one shape, form or other.

So true. Wonder if anyone ever manages to maintain without doing the head stuff:confused:

Guess not if they've had a real weight problem.

Books sound interesting DQ :)

The books sound interesting Queenie. Is this Carnie Wilson from Wilson Philips the group? I love some of the songs they used to sing, just wondered? :D

The books sound interesting Queenie. Is this Carnie Wilson from Wilson Philips the group? I love some of the songs they used to sing, just wondered? :D

Yes, which is part of what made the book interesting - her describing how she felt being the 'fat' one in the videos, etc

Thanks for that hun. I think this will be good reading for me. I have to say though that when I used to watch the videos of them I always used to think, what a really pretty woman she is and such an awesome voice.

It's on my list now...;):D

The Carnie Wilson thing is interesting because a) she was once a poster child for 'fat rights' and used to campaign against discrimination and b) my WLS pals in the US say she did not pay for either her surgery or her body reconstruction - not sure if that is true or not, and c) she regained a lot of weight and has been fighting to keep it off, ever since. Oh, and d) she was totally airbrushed in the Playboy shoot - but then, so are the thin busty girls!

It just goes to show that surgery alone can't really be expected to 'cure' the dozens of reasons why people eat too much or too little or whatever.

Hi Girlygirl, she actually addresses a few of those issues in the second book - the Playboy shoot, regaining or looking like she is regaining, and her heartfelt belief that people shouldn't be discriminated against because of their size but that not making her decision to have WLS a betrayal, more of a personal choice.

I have really enjoyed reading both of these books, and can see me going back and re-reading stuff. She comes across as very honest, self-deprecating, confident and real and I can relate to so much of what she had to say.

Yes.

And she had every eye on her, just waiting to gloat at any gain! When she did regain quite a bit she did so under serious scrutiny.

I think that being in a hugely successful girl band, with two beautiful and THIN relations, did her harm. By contrast she felt ugly, tho she was in fact very beautiful. Easy to see why she didn't feel beautiful.

But the Playboy shoot was ill-advised because, unlike most post-WLS peeps, she was gifted the most expensive cosmetic surgery around - and the industry made further millions on the strength of that.

Her story is one of personal triumph over adversity and discrimination but it is by no means a story achievable by other WLS patients. I have watched Carnie speak on documentaries, in person, more or less suggesting that it could be. Only if you have half a million dollars, and can afford the very best lifelong post-op care in the world.

Have finished 'I'm Still Hungry' and really enjoyed it. She has a list in the back of the book of suggestions, and obviously a lot of it is based for Americans but she says some of the plastic surgery afterwards was paid for by her medical insurance.

What I also found interesting was the fact that people felt she had taken the 'easy way out' by having WLS when in reality she has to make decisions every day that decide whether she will 'dump', throw up, etc.

I'm definitely going to keep these and re-read them - heartily recommend them as a way of getting into the headspace a lot of us will need to be in with regards to our ongoing weight loss journey :)

They sound really interesting - hadn't heard of them before so thanks for the info.

Inspired to read them - next stop, Amazon ;)

The easy way out? NO WAY!

A lifetime of being monitored, of having regular blood tests, of taking 'horse pill' type supplements (lol), and of having to be ultra-careful about what you eat just to be able to keep it down, is anything but easy.

I don't think I could face it. Even when I was 20st plus I couldn't have. It takes a lot of courage.

The easy way out? NO WAY!

A lifetime of being monitored, of having regular blood tests, of taking 'horse pill' type supplements (lol), and of having to be ultra-careful about what you eat just to be able to keep it down, is anything but easy.

I don't think I could face it. Even when I was 20st plus I couldn't have. It takes a lot of courage.

Part of me wishes I had the courage (and the money :rolleyes: )

Part of me wishes I had the courage (and the money :rolleyes: )

Yeah, I know what you mean.

Most peeps with a serious weight problem have considered it at some point, I think, and wondered whether we might qualify on the NHS.

Being really heavy is way different to being moderately overweight. We tend to feel fat even when only a little bit over our 'ideal' weight but we don't think of surgery apart from lipo or a tummy tuck. When you have lots and lots to lose and you just can't stick to a diet you feel miserable and want to get down on your knees and beg for help. I can remember thinking it might be a great idea to get my jaws wired! Can hardly believe that, now.

Jaw wiring must have been horrible. Wonder if anyone on this forum has ever had it done?

Been re-reading 'Gut Feelings' and what she says about how she felt when she was coming up to losing 100 lbs really is sticking in my mind. Somehow it feels like she plucked some of my deepest thoughts out and wrote them down.

I feel like this book is going to be well thumbed this year, but is doing me the power of good.

As for jaw wiring - do they still do that?? :confused:

Back