Cat Lover Sue's Year of Change - Because I'm Worth It!! - UPDATE!

Cat Lover Sue

Slimming and Swinging!
Well it's my 1st year anniversary today of starting Weight Watchers and I'm not normally one to go on about my success, but it's such a massive milestone.

It all started with me getting on the scales and thinking I would be about 15 stone. Perhaps 15st 7lbs at the very most. Both of which would be bad enough at 5' 3" and 42 years of age, but I got the shock of my life when I stepped on and the scales told me 16st 7lbs. To say I was beyond words would be an understatement. I was gutted. I knew things were bad - had been for years - but even so :eek:.

But it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. It was the massive kick up the arse I needed to sort myself out. I had successfully lost about 3 stone on WW about 15 years ago but true to form put it all back on and much more when I moved house and we had no kitchen to speak of for about 6 months so was living on take aways and the George Foreman. Good habits just melted away. So it was get online, order myself the up to date WW stuff and get going. I found Minimims very soon after and got logged on here as well. The help, advice and just general cameraderie has helped me immensely. I don't attend a WW group - its really not my thing - but follow the plan and record my WI each week in my trusty notepad.

About 3 months into the plan and the weight was falling off nicely, I stumbled across a thread on here about Kettlebells and thought I would give them a go. Best thing I have ever did. I'm not a sporty person and me and exercise don't get along very well but I have been able to find something that I am able to stick to, am pretty good at and actually enjoy. I work my heart out for 20 minutes, 3 times a week - that's quite enough for me. Again its DVDs so I am doing it in my own home and not having to go to a gym. I appreciate this makes me sound anti-social, I'm not - it's just that once I am home from work and looking after an elderly relative, the last thing I want to do is go out again.

So where has all this effort got me? Drum roll please...

I have lost over 5st 7lbs (79 pounds to be exact) and 85cm in total from my waist, hips, boobs, arms and thighs.

:bliss::bliss::bliss:

To say I am a happy bunny is an under-statement. I won't deny its been hard work at times - but perfectly achieveable. I have put on weight only a couple of times - 3lbs at Christmas and 3lbs when I was on holiday. Both gains were reversed the next week. I have been totally focused on this and remain so. I just feel so positive about things because I KNOW I can do this now!

I reached my initial target of 11 stone at 48 weeks, and have now adjusted my target to 10 stone. This will take me into the healthy BMI category. My start BMI was over 40! Not good. My aim is to reach 10 stone and then try and knock a few extra pounds off. In my head this will give me a buffer as I never want to go over the 10 stone mark once I get there.

So that's where I am today. Still focused and feeling good. I have gone from a tight size 22 in jeans to a comfortable 16. I can even get in a pair of 14 jeans but still need to lose the jelly belly a bit more for them to feel comfy. If it wasn't for my big boobies I would easily be in a size 14 top as well. Just knowing I can shop in more than Evans and Ann Harvey means the world to me. I have saved cash and my lovely in-laws gave me M&S vouchers for Christmas so I have a little stash put away for when I am going to hit the clothes shops big time. Up to now, apart from bras, I have been getting bits as and when I need them in the sales and off ebay.

Another bonus is that I have inspired my best mate to start WW and she has already lost 2 stone. Hubbie has also picked up the kettlebells and has stopped picking at food in the evenings and he has also lost over 2 stone and is feeling so much better health wise as well.

Apologies for the long post but I wanted to record how I feel so I can look back at this every now and again and give myself a pat on the back. To all those of you out there still on their journey, perhaps this might inspire you a bit - if so - GO FOR IT!

Finally I would like to say a huge thanks to everyone on Minimims. Whether I have contributed to a thread or just lurked on it, I have found some invaluable bits of advice and support. Its a fabulous site and I am so grateful to have found it. :thankyou:

UPDATE:
Well I should have done this 3 weeks ago but I'VE ONLY GONE AND BL00DY DONE IT! :D
Can't quite believe it myself but I hit my 10 stone target on week 69 on my weight loss journey. I was delighted as you can imagine and celebrated as only a girl can - by spending quite a lot of money on clothes!

My plan now is to lose another 4-5lbs which will keep my nicely under my goal weight so I can still cope with Xmas and Holidays without thinking too much about food and goals and targets etc. I just want to enjoy my life but keep within the rules I have set for myself. I intend to continue with WW in the week as I am really in the zone with this now and the food I eat is within plan, I like it and it has become an easy routine for me to fit around my work and home commitments. I am also continuing to do my kettlebell DVD three times a week. I was deliberately careful not to start an exercise routine I wouldn't be able to keep to. Me and exercise will never be firm friends but I accept I need to do it so will just get on with it. I have everything I need to do it so I can keep up with it. At weekends I can cut myself a little bit of slack which is nice and so far I have managed this without going overboard - long may it continue! :)

So all in all, I have gone from a size 22/24 clothes to a 14. I would be a 12 on top were it not for my boobs but so be it. Talking of boobs, they have gone from 38H to a 34GG and finally, finally I can wear pretty (but clearly still sturdy :)) bras instead of industrial jobbies in the amazing colour choice of black, white or occasionally nude! A whole new shopping world has opened up which I am embracing - although I am slightly taken aback of the amount of choice available - when you've only be used to shopping at Evans and Ann Harvey, believe me it's quite bewildering. But again I feel I am up to the task! Ha ha.

So peeps, that's me. I know its a well-worn phrase but seriously, if I can do it, you can do it. The difference with me this time has just been utter focus. I don't know why it was different but it was, and thank goodness as I was heading down the road of a health disaster. Yes I could get run over by a bus tomorrow but 1) my coffin will be cheaper as I am considerably smaller, 2) I wouldn't put the pall-bearers backs out lifting me and 3) I will be going out wearing gorgeous matching undies!
:D

Last edited:
Just wanted to write that you're amazing :) you're story is brilliant and congratulations for doing so incredibly well :) x

Thanks both of you. Much appreciated. xxxx

Congratulations! Loved reading your story :cool: can relate as I am aiming for a big round 5 stone loss too. Am over halfway (1 stone 9lbs left to go) and your story has given me the inspiration and resolve to know I can do it :character00238:

Aw thanks both of you. Nice to be called an inspiration! :)

[h=2]@Cat Lover Sue, thank you so much for this post, we are of similar weight and height at our starting point but I am only 2 weeks into it. Seeing this post was a blessing and I shall be looking up to you as I continue my journey with SW. Well done girl and you are a true inspiration to us newbie's xx[/h]

Hi Chebi - what lovely things to say. Thank you very much. :)

I cannot praise this site enough for help, advice and general encouragement. As I said in my post, I don't get to an official WI (weigh in) and do it all myself using the WW books and calculators, so I don't really get to discuss diet related stuff with like-minded folk. Having this site has helped me immensely and I would encourage you to use it as much as possible.

You're on your way with 7lbs off already. I didn't think of the weight I wanted to lose all in one. I just split it down into 7lb goals. That seems so much more achieveable as a target and I liked to put a shiny 7 sticker on my signature! It's like getting a gold star when you were a kid! I know SW have lots of different goal and achievement stickers so get pasting them into your signature as you go. It's a visual boost every time you log on and see your posts! :)

Good luck and don't forget to have a wee treat every now and again - food or non-food related. :) xx

Well done, you must be delighted, I have just started on SW and have about 8 stone to lose but after reading your story I feel that this time I might just do it.

Great motivation... Wow! I love reading stories like this.

Wow great post, thanks for sharing :)

As you yourself know its tough when you first start out, you question whether you can actually do it & the little doubts creep in BUT reading your story & those of so many others confirms that it can be done, you just have to want it badly enough & be willing to put the effort in :) x

And here's the evidence:

Me - 18 April 2011, weighing 16stone 7lbs:

Mull 2011 Cannon.jpg

Me at goal day, 1 September 2012 weighing 10 stone:
Sue - GOAL DAY - 1 Sept 2012.jpg

Click on me for a bigger pic.

Thanks Jaly. xx

Awesome Job Sue! You rock!

Ha ha! Thanks Hannah. We appear to be alike in our focus to get to our goals. Yes we have to negotiate everyday challenges - like your Korean buffets :), but ultimately we remain on track. I just wish some other folk in the TL thread could get the hang of it instead of undoing all their good work every 3 weeks by having a massive and prolonged binge!

Keep going Hannah and you WILL get there. You have done a brilliant job already. xxx

Ha ha! Thanks Hannah. We appear to be alike in our focus to get to our goals. Yes we have to negotiate everyday challenges - like your Korean buffets :), but ultimately we remain on track. I just wish some other folk in the TL thread could get the hang of it instead of undoing all their good work every 3 weeks by having a massive and prolonged binge!

Keep going Hannah and you WILL get there. You have done a brilliant job already. xxx

Thank you so much! I really feel your attitude and where you are mentally is so key in this and I finally feel positive and confident about this, which is a great place to be! :)

​Hi Cat Lover, I haven't been around on here for ages and just wanted to say what a wonderful and inspiring story you tell. Your pictures are amazing. Many congratulations to you...you look fantastic!!! xx

Hi CL - long time no see. Hope you're ok. Thanks for the comments - much appreciated. You look like you've been doing ok with your weight loss. Only 8.5lbs to goal. You can deffo sort that by Xmas! x

Back