Cate's diary...Total change

Hi Cate

Just wanted to wish you all the best.

Re: alcohol. You should avoid alcohol for the first two weeks at the very least. The latest book says you can add alcohol in moderation after two weeks and the older ones suggest rung 5 of OWL (not sure what book you have). From my experience (!!) I notice vodka and diet coke is ok whereas wine will stall or even cause a small gain if you have more than a couple of glasses. It's best to limit it as much as possible as when the body is burning alcohol, it is not burning fat - but it's not always easy to go without I know.

Re: sausages. Please check the labels as some are very high in carbs and have bread/rusk in them which is not allowed. I don't live in the UK any more but seem to remember that black farmer sausages or premium sausages are the best choice as they are very high meat content with no risk/bread.

Good luck! I'll be back to see how you're doing.

Jane x

Good to know about alcohol, it's nice to know in the not so distant future I can indulge a little! X
Just back from my G.P. and all good, bloods fine, and he is happy I start on Atkins tomorrow!! So so excited. He has asked I have bloods done in 6 months time.
So tonight I am working last of my night shifts (thank god, it's so so busy at work ), tomorrow morning I am heading to tesco to do a massive Atkins shop!!!! X I have my list of essentials, and have menus running through my head, bacon and eggs here I come x

Oooh yummy. Make sure you get a few things you can just grab from the fridge if you need a snack - mini cheeses, cooked chicken, mini pepperami. Once you're in K you shouldn't need to snack as often but it's always useful to have something on hand when you miss the convenience of carbs.

Will do, thanks for the advice. I have a list kind of, but know from past experiences shopping after a 12 hour nightshift, always results in a random shop! So god knows what I will come home with....have you any advice on what to eat if eating out??? Have lots of shopping trips planned, and so don't want to spoil it by eating the wrong things??

Yes nandos is fab and if you're really caught out a bk or McDonald's burger without the bun is a fine stopgap. GBK do a bunless burger with a salad, too. Most restaurants do steak or chicken and salad.

Ok today was day number 1!!!

I slept most of it,
Only has dinner this evening, it was massive.
Sirloin steak, with mushrooms fried in butter, courgettes cooked in garlic olive oil, and a small amount of a creamy sauce (cream added to the steak juice).it was divine. X

Try not to skip meals regularly! I too have slept through some days though and it can actually be helpful to avoid cravings on your first day ;) good luck!

Ok today was day number 1!!!

I slept most of it,
Only has dinner this evening, it was massive.
Sirloin steak, with mushrooms fried in butter, courgettes cooked in garlic olive oil, and a small amount of a creamy sauce (cream added to the steak juice).it was divine. X
I'm guessing you were on nights? Dinner sounds yum! Here's to day 2!

Yep night shifts... I never skip meals (I may have to many if anything) did not wake until gone 4pm, normally I eat through the night when working, but as I wanted to be totally carb free, I stopped at midnight and just consumed water and black coffee (considering I have been waiting for weeks to start, I was totally unprepared) today I have woken up to bacon and eggs, it was lush! Think I may keep for weekend treats, and stick to my fav an omelette in the mornings. I have chicken breast a bit of mayo and fresh uncooked spinach for lunch, think the rest of the sirloin with some blue cheese for dinner. Fridge packed full of goodies so all set.... X

Ordered!!!!! The bento box that is!!!!! Mind I love the suitcase x
Have a banging headache, and feel rough. Maybe coincidence? I am drinking water +++ it's easy to do as feeling thirsty +++ going to visit family today, so taking my own food with me, mum seemed a bit stumped when I informed her I was not eating carbs, bless her. She is doing weight watchers, and doing really well, but she eats so so little, I could never do it.

Woke up ridiculously early for a Saturday!!! Been reading lots of people diary's (lots of ideas) have noticed some items such as chocolate bark, green and blacks coco with cream, sugar free jelly and cream. Now I would class myself as a savoury girl, it was sausage rolls all the way!! But I so so want something sweet!!!!! So can I have any of the above on induction, I will not eat if they are not ok, just a little something sweet to make the craving go!!! X

Ok I have had a genius idea, or has the potential to be a genius idea, I can make egg custard!!! Just need to make it low carb?? Has anyone made?? Think I need to order some low carb goodies like that liquid sweetener x

Cocoa bark is okay on induction. You do need to watch quantities though. I haven't made it in a while but from memory my recipe was:

30g coconut oil
1 tsp cocoa powder (green and blacks)
Liquid sweetener (or tablets dissolved in very small amt liquid)
Vanilla or almond essence
Dash of cream (optional)

Put the coconut oil in a microwaveable tub and zap until melted - about a minute.

Thoroughly mix in the cocoa powder (you may need a little more or less), sweetener and flavoring. Also mix in cream for a more 'milk' chocolate.

Pop in the freezer for a minimum of 10 mins, then cut into chunks and eat.

- other people have recipes including nut butters but those aren't suitable for induction.

Other induction suitable desserts include rhubarb cooked with sweetener, sugar free jelly and cream, cream whipped with some cocoa powder and sweetener, cheesecake made with soft cheese whipped with sweetener and a flavoring.

Egg custard is doable, I made it with alpro soya milk but it did come out a bit thin. You can also make it with double cream but again careful with quantities - Atkins limits cream on induction as its so calorie dense. I never tend to make desserts bigger than one portion as I find it do easy to overeat.

If you look up moonlights meals in the recipe section you'll find an induction friendly Swiss roll recipe too.

Oh and cheesecake cupcakes! I made these on page 28 in my diary.

Cheesecake cupcakes!

They came out perfectly this time. Got the proportions right and they taste just like little mini baked cheesecakes. Very rich.

200g soft cheese
(I used marks and sparks full fat soft cheese)
1 medium egg
candarel tablets dissolved in a tbsp hot water
(adjust sweetness to taste)
Vanilla essence

If you need to, soften the cream cheese in the microwave for 15 secs.

Beat together the cream cheese, egg, vanilla and (cooled) sweetened water. You should get quite a thick batter.

Spoon into cupcake cases (I used silicone - they might be hard to get out of paper)

Cook in a waterbath for 15-20 mins - for me it was in a fan oven at 180.

They won't brown on top although they might get little brown patches. You'll know they're done when they're quite firm and you can insert a knife cleanly.

Turn oven off but leave the cupcakes in for a few more mins to cool slowly - keep checking them.

Best eaten after a couple of hours (or more) in the fridge.

You can switch up the flavoring - I think I may use lemon next time.

View attachment 53047

View attachment 53048

Back