CBT stuff-a minor rant

jcjazzy

Silver Member
Hi, Can anyone tell me if they found the rest of their group strangely uninterested in the CBT stuff?The locum keeps gamely ploughing her way through the book,but they aren't really getting it and just want to talk about food.I find it very irritating:mad:.Is it just me, or am I more of a "black and white thinker" than I realised?

What a shame. My group mostly do interact well in the CBT sessions. I guess it's partly down to personalities. I have found CBT quite useful and am generally a calmer person. Have you had a chat with your LLC to see if it is unusual for her groups? Is she/he an engaging facilitator?

I found that there were always 3 or 4 that tended to dominate and no matter how others tried or the LLC insisted, everything used to slide in their direction. It was more a disinterest in others.

Hi, Can anyone tell me if they found the rest of their group strangely uninterested in the CBT stuff?The locum keeps gamely ploughing her way through the book,but they aren't really getting it and just want to talk about food.I find it very irritating:mad:.Is it just me, or am I more of a "black and white thinker" than I realised?
This is exactly what's happening in my group too Jazzy - and exactly as Foxtrot says also, there's a few people that totally dominate the group. I'm ok with that in that I am perfectly capable of speaking up for myself ;), but there are definitely a few in the group that are intimidated by the "more assertive" few.
I'm actually quite disappointed in the group sessions, as for me, the main attraction of LL was the CBT, so have bought a book (CBT for Dummies) and am working through that myself - I'm finding it quite useful - may be worth a look for you too? xx

What a shame. My group mostly do interact well in the CBT sessions. I guess it's partly down to personalities. I have found CBT quite useful and am generally a calmer person. Have you had a chat with your LLC to see if it is unusual for her groups? Is she/he an engaging facilitator?
She is ok.She obviously knows the stuff as she's been a locum for years but she's not that assertive.I get the impression it's more to do with the personalities involved.Don't get me wrong they interact,but not really in the way we should be......

I found that there were always 3 or 4 that tended to dominate and no matter how others tried or the LLC insisted, everything used to slide in their direction. It was more a disinterest in others.
That is similar to my experience so far Foxtrot :eek:.I suppose that's group dynamics for you!

This is exactly what's happening in my group too Jazzy - and exactly as Foxtrot says also, there's a few people that totally dominate the group. I'm ok with that in that I am perfectly capable of speaking up for myself ;), but there are definitely a few in the group that are intimidated by the "more assertive" few.
I'm actually quite disappointed in the group sessions, as for me, the main attraction of LL was the CBT, so have bought a book (CBT for Dummies) and am working through that myself - I'm finding it quite useful - may be worth a look for you too? xx
Thanks Lucy.Its interesting that a few of our experiences are similar isn't it.The reason i chose LL like you was because of the CBT! The other thing that bugs me is different people stay each week so there's no consistency.Anyway rant over!Thankfully I've got this site for support too:D

Yep, me too - we've had new people start each week, so there's no consistency, and the group is really big now (I think it's 14, when I was told the max was supposed to be 12??) Anyway, I think that after week 3 no-one else can join, so that should be it for our groups now.

Funnily enough my LLC sounds similar to yours - she knows her stuff, but just isn't assertive at all - in fact she comes across as really quite intimidated by the group. Shame really, but we won't let it affect us! :)

I CAN'T STAND.................

people dominating a group - unless it's me !!
No seriously - the more I hear about your experiences in other groups the more I am so thankful that by fluke I happen to live in an area which has a FAB LLC.
She is a highly experienced counsellor apart from LL. Her facilitating has been rhe key for me. She's followed the LL stuff,but with more advanced in depth work as well as 1-1 sessions for people who need it.
I realise how lucky we have been. I admire you all so much for sticking with it.
REP REP REP and good luck everyone.xx

Oh my counsellor is fantastic and I can't fault her but while the weigh ins were being done we had to sit and were generally talked at by this minor group about the lapses they'd had that week and what they think they'd got away with.

When it came to the talk time if someone was explaining a reason or feeling, even a very emotive one, one of this group would pipe in with their own version, always 'more harrowing' of course. It just made me keep my trap shut and upset a few of the more uncomfortable in the group who would be reluctant to open up in the best of circumstances. I'm sure they had support from the LLC out of earshot too. I couldn't wait to get away from it all. That's why I don't do the group thing now.

Back