CD and general anaesthetic.... :(

blue_grapefruit

Gold Member
I'm having my preop appointment for my complete wisdom teeth removal on the 11th of september.

They say the bottom two are growing under the jaw and so i have to follow A HIGH CALORIE diet to repair the bone following the operation.

Now they havent given me a date fro the op, but it will be a month or so after my pre op.....

WHAT DO I DO?! aaaargh! xxx

Well, it depends on how much they are bothering you. Why don't you ask if it HAS to be done now, or can it wait until the New year? It's your body, and your NHS.

Did they really mean HIGH calorie, or did they just mean you need to eat nutritious food after your op to make sure you have enough nutrients to heal. I know after heart ops they say not to restrict calories, but at the same time they don't say eat heaps.

If it does need to be done asap, then my advice would be get it done, then recover, then get yourself back on CD asap. You've managed so well this time, you will be able to get back on it after an op too.

I had my wisdom teeth out a couple of years back & neither the dentist or the hospital told me to eat a high cal diet.

CD is nutrionally 100% for all vit & mins.

Maybe go up to 810 plan for a couple of weeks? I would've thought a high protein & calcium diet would be better???

xx

Aww Leah :(

The official line for Cambridge and generals is no less that 1200 cals for 2 weeks before the op, and 4 - 12 weeks after, depending on healing. I find that mouthy things tend to heal really quickly. I had the same sort of thing a few months ago with the jaw bone (will spare you details....as I know Leah ;). Didn't have a general, but was surprised how quickly it healed.

Can you get your CDC to phone for medical advice?

Was under the impression you weren't allowed to do CD for 3 months post surgery?

Was under the impression you weren't allowed to do CD for 3 months post surgery?

I believe 3 months is the guideline, but much depends on other factors, so it can be as little a 4 weeks, probably with the say so from the dr.

Always worth getting your CDC to clarify with the Cambridge medical officer if you are healing well and everyone is happy that you are back to norm.

Ah dom, you sound so wise (i know the truth)

I have been on the waiting list for 16 months so can't really pass it by - and the high calorie thing is because the bottom teeth are stuck under the bone so they chip away at my jaw *VOMIT* and they say 2000 - 2500 cals a day (i dont think i could manage that!)

I don't have the option to have it under local because of how far they need to split the gums (omg, passing out here)

MAkes me sick just thinking about it, not slept in days

:eek::eek::eek:

:hug99:

Ah dom, you sound so wise (i know the truth)

I have been on the waiting list for 16 months so can't really pass it by - and the high calorie thing is because the bottom teeth are stuck under the bone so they chip away at my jaw *VOMIT* and they say 2000 - 2500 cals a day (i dont think i could manage that!)

That's what they did to me. Had to cut a fair amount of jawbone away (no general). I didn't have to do such a high calorie though. Can't see why a general would mean that amount of calories:confused:

It was okay though Leah. I walked home (alone) after it. Bit shakey, but was back at work that afternoon.

There again...I am a loony.:D

That's what they did to me. Had to cut a fair amount of jawbone away (no general). I didn't have to do such a high calorie though. Can't see why a general would mean that amount of calories:confused:

It was okay though Leah. I walked home after it. Bit shakey, but was back at work that afternoon.

There again...I am a loony.:D

You had to have the four out too?

OMG not reading this thread anymore

You had to have the four out too?

OMG not reading this thread anymore

No. Just two. That was enough :D The other wisdom teeth came out fine. It was just the ones that had wrapped around my facial nerve and jaw (something like that anyway).

I did have 2 hospital dentists working on it together and they were so nice :)

I wrote about it on here at the time. But think I made a fuss, so best not read :D

Hey missus,

I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed under general anesthetic and wasn't told that I had to follow any kind of diet (I wasn't on CD at the time though) so just eat whatever you can, it probably won't be alot but you will crave what your body needs. I ate alot of mashed potato and soup and I was eating steak within the week. As long as you follow the plan they give you, i.e use the mouthwash twice a day or after eating and only eat things which won't get trapped you will probably heal really quickly! You will be miserable for a couple of days after the op but you will be fine, honest! And don't worry about being scared or nervous as you have nothing to worry about :D

Scared? Nervous? I'm terrified hun!

It might have something to do with needing to stay under sedation for 4 days afterwards? urrrgh x

It was okay though Leah. I walked home (alone) after it. Bit shakey, but was back at work that afternoon.

There again...I am a loony.:D[/quote]

You WALKED home and went to WORK after all that???:eek: Loony isn't the word for it! BARKING MAD! Superhuman!

Im no expert but 2500 cals!? Thats rediculous. I understand youl have to have some calcium in your diet but surely 1200-1500 is enough?

you sure the person wasn't jealous...and wanted you to gain weight?? what a strange recommendation. I had all 4 out under a general, was fine & healed nice & quick. You will be fine & very well done you!! xx

Scared? Nervous? I'm terrified hun!

It might have something to do with needing to stay under sedation for 4 days afterwards? urrrgh x

Any idea why? I've never heard of that before :confused:

You WALKED home and went to WORK after all that??? Loony isn't the word for it! BARKING MAD! Superhuman!
Certainly not superhuman :D Barking mad...well...yes.

I was too frightened to drive and it's the alternative I use if I'm not using the car.:eek:

Back