CDCs .. some advice please?

Summerskye

Gold Member
I've been asked by a client if she can bring her 13-year-old daughter to see me when she comes for her appointment on Monday. Apparently the girl is overweight for her age and has tried a number of diets, but would like to do CD with her mum so she can get support at home too.

I've already told her that her daughter is too young to be accepted as a client - that the minimum age is 16 due to the very low calories in the diet and her daughter still in her growing phase etc.

She has come back and asked if it's possible for the daughter to do one of the higher plans (1200 or 1500 cals) and I wasn't sure whether that would be OK for her or not.

Can anyone confirm with me whether I could allow her daughter to do one of the higher plans so that I can let my client know over the weekend?

Many thanks! :)

Hiya Summerskye,
not a cd counsellor, but I'm sure the age is 14 with doctors consent. Hopefuly a cdc sill be along shortly to answer your question!

Hi Geri

I'm a CDC myself, and I'm fairly sure the minimum age is 16.

Unfortunately this wouldn't be with doctor's consent as there isn't time to get it - but I am happy to be corrected if I'm wrong about that :)

Hahahaha Sharon, course I know your'e a counsellor :p

I've put a post asking for another Counsellor to come answer your question... Hopefuly you wont be waiting too long.

should have added to my previous post, 'sorry not much help' lol :D

I'm sure it is 16 as well Sharon. Looked through book and paperwork and can't find anything that would help. The youngest client I had was 16 and with parental and Doctors written permission.

Sorry not a lot of help - hopefully someone wiser or more "in the know" will come along soon!

Hi Sharon,

I called Lisa at HO regarding a similar query for a 15 year old girl. Lisa advised me that 1200 is fine as it's not considered Low Calorie. My client comes with her mum (also a client) and is in contact with her GP, who is delighted with her loss of more than 2st 7lbs so far...

Hope that helps a bit.

Love,

Jas.xx

At 13 I'd very seriously be recommending exercise rather than a diet. She's very young to have already tried a number of diets. She should be talking to her doctor first and foremost.

I really, really wouldn't put her on any programme unless it's with her doctor's consent. If she's very obese and exercise alone isn't an option, then she should be speaking to her doctor anyway. I really, really wouldn't do it. Do you have any insurance cover other than that which is provided by Cambridge? If not, it's not worth the risk unless you have any specific qualifications relating to kids and nutrition.

A 14 year old can do SS and 790 with Doctor and parental involvement. Ideally healthy eating is advised or one of the higher calorie programmes. Any CD programme at this age is with both Doctor and Parental involvement.

If you look at page 8 of the Sole Source booklet this is covered under other groups.

I have recently had a 14year old who did one week SS, against our advice as I think it is too harsh at the at age, then she changed over the 790 and has now lost 2 stones:)

At 13, however, it is contraindicated for all programmes go through the back of the yellow book and advise the health eating options.

Linda

I've contacted my client and relayed back to her the information. Apparently her daughter is 14 next month and they are now going to speak to their GP first to get his/her advice.

Thanks for your help and advice everyone. :)

Morning Sharon!
I've had a few teens on my books, mainly 15/16 yrs olds, but all had GPs and parental involvement (usually Mum was doing CD too!). The best way to approach it, as I agree with Linda that SS is quite brutal for a 14 yr old, would be to ask her to do a serious Prep (not a week, but possibly 3 or 4). If she can't handle simply cutting out the naughties, it'll be a good indication if she could cope with SS/790/1000/12000kcal programmes. Perhaps after the 2nd or 3rd week, Mum can introduce one CD pack a day into her routine - maybe for breakfast?
Obviously, you've mentioned that Mum is doing CD already, but what you need to drill into her, is that she really must change what goes into the cupboards/fridge/freezer for the whole family. Not only will that help Mum with temptations, but big help when stabilising and maintaining her target weight. Children only get obese by what the parents buy in the weekly shop or money they give them - harsh but true! You don't see many 8 yr-olds pushing the trolley around the aisles and getting their hard earned cash out to pay for it all!!! Mum must changed her attitude towards the food bought in order to set the example for her kiddiwinks! Perhaps her daughter could also start walking more or go swimming with Mum? Something nice 'n gentle to start with! Good luck - hope a solution comes up that suits all next month!

Lainey xxx :wavey:

Back