Change of focus......good idea?

Browsie

Silver Member
So I would like a consesus of opinion please.

I have been doing SW for 2 yrs since my 2nd son was 2 wks old. I have lost just short of 2 stone in this time. As many will have seen in numerous unhappy posts I have really struggled since Christmas 2011. I finally got back into the swing of things around August 2012 and was ok, even after a Sept holiday until Christmas hit again.

I know some of you will say that Christmas shouldn't make a difference and why treat it differently but I love food, cheese, crackers, pate, houmous, olives, anything with pastry and I avoid or work them all into SW most of the time. (Totally avoid the pastry stuff) but at christmas its there and I need it but then acn't get back to it. I wish I could just stick to plan but I can't, I suppose if I could I wouldn't need SW!! (please don't feel sorry / angry with me I know where I'm going wrong I'm not stupid or in denial.

I have been messing about with the same few pounds since Jan this yr. On, off, on,off you get the picture and basically weigh the same as I did last Oct. Sooooo.....I have decided to stop going to classess.......NNNOOOOOO!!!!! I hear you shout. But please hear me out.

1)I feel that I am paying money to just get weighed and feel like crap about myself every week.
2)I have always wanted to do one of the chartity challenges that are in the SW mags, I have been saying to my OH for ages, when I turn 40 I'll do one of these.

Well someone said why wait? So I have investigated and am going to do the great wall of china trek. I can't sign up for it at the moment because I'm doing a degree with the OU and have 2 small children (4 and 2) who I wouldn't like to leave for that long (10 days) So I've started running again and am going to enter and 5k and 10k and train for them. I'm going to buy 2 money boxes, the type you can't get into without a hammer and still weigh every week at home. If I loose or maintain £5 will go in my china fund (it cost £250 to £350 just to register) if I gain or maintain for 2 or more wks it goes in a family fund for the kids.

I'm hoping that shifting my focus from the diet side of things to the challange of getting fit for a particular reason will help me get this last stone off!!

Thank you for sticking with me and reading through the rambling essay. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

I think that sounds like a fab idea

Fantastic idea :)

It's definitely a shift of focus and your fitness will be incredible.

Best of luck with it all and look forward to hearing about your progress

I think its a lovely idea and also a good thing to aim for, I hope it gives you the motivation to get back on track, good luck :)

when do you think you'd be looking at doing the trek?

Ah thanks guys, I think I just needed it confirming that I am doing the right thing and not copping out!

I need to save enough money to reg for the trek, so at £5 a week for £350 it'll be just over a year. But to be honest I was thinking either late next yr or early the next. Thats why I thought I would get a few 5 and 10k's under my belt to build my confidence. I'm really excited to get going really and am hoping I don't chicken out or loose this initial enthusiasm!!

My sister decided a few yrs ago she wanted to do great north run, she was I think about 16st.
She didn't follow a plan she just ate well had a treat once a week only and trained for this half marathon, she never weighed herself has no idea what she weighed but easily was in size 10 high street jeans and skirts etc so lost a lot.

I like sw plan but my point is if you switch your focus to the challenge and fitness. Eat to the plan the weight will come off but you have to keep it up week on week on week :)

The thing is, SW and physical training go so well together because a lot of the free foods are high in protein so they help rebuild muscle and fuel you for arduous training. I honestly can't imagine being on any other kind of food plan and training at the same time.

I am going to try and stick to plan I think by using the money to save for china rather than going to class it will give me extra focus. If it doesn't work ill be no worse off than I am now considering I weight same as in oct. I just can't keep plodding on as I am. Even if I don't weigh less at least ill be fitter. I'm going to enter into race for life 5k in June and great Yorkshire run 10 k in sept to have some thing to aim for. Thanks for all your comments.

The thing is, SW and physical training go so well together because a lot of the free foods are high in protein so they help rebuild muscle and fuel you for arduous training. I honestly can't imagine being on any other kind of food plan and training at the same time.

I agree, at times my mum has said about how while I'm running a lot I shouldn't follow slimming world, but I've always had an answer, there are plenty of on plan foods which help with energy before a run and repair after.

Back