Changing habits, permanently

AmandaJayne

Trainee Maintainer
I hope this is on the right forum, I couldn't decide whether to post it on this one or "Bring your head inside...". Anyway, I was chatting with my husband this morning about his coming back to Falkirk to work again after nearly five years commuting to Aberdeen weekly (yippee!).

"Make sure you don't automatically drive north on the first Monday of your new job" I joked. Then I thought of the last two months when I had not driven my usual route to work (schools in my area had seven weeks holiday this year). Last Monday was the first time for 7 weeks that I drove to work and I settled right back in to the routine, no problem, like I'd never been away.

It got me thinking. If we have had 'bad' eating habits built up over years but for a few months stop the old habits, learn new habits about eating healthily, it will still take just one deviation onto the 'old' path to take us right back to the old habit. It will be easy and familiar and comforting, maybe. Does that make sense to you?

How stong we have to be to return straight away to the new route. Maybe we do go back for a while, but somehow once again we find ourselves back on the old route, and maybe getting comfort from it like the old days.

Before we know it, we are putting on weight again and feeling bad. What do we do next? Well, returning to bad habits is what I have been doing :sigh:. But that's in the past now :rolleyes:.

You don't fail until you give up, that's what keeps me going, anyway.

I agree. It is definately habbit and routine that makes me kick into old ways.

I need to form the new habbits, the healthy habbits. It really is about time I got back on track and started what I do best, weight loss and exercise.

I couldn't have put it better myself...

I think it's like anyone who has a "habit"... What I personally feel is that like people who have a drink (alcohol), or a drug problem, we have to learn we can do without certain things but one trip up and your back where you started and I know I've been there far to often :(

Back