Charleybarley tries again - Jan 2013

Friday 27th July

Started well, mid way through the day went awry, will claw it back tonight!

B - Egg on Toast (HEB+4 syns)

L - Chicken Pasta Salad (HEA+2 syns)

D - My Nandos Chicken, Mexican Rice (2.5) and Salad with Nandos sauce (2)

Snacks - 1 M&S biscuit from tin at work and 5 M&S chocs :break_diet:

Syns - Goodness knows, but I am planning on having a vino or two to toast the opening ceremony!

DIET STARTS TOMORROW!

xxx

Tuesday 31st July

Ok, so diet didn't quite start on Saturday! I have been off and on the SW train to be honest, but I so desperately want to lose a stone before Rome - I doubt that will happen now. I still can't exercise - swimming isn't an option because I handed back my gym membership, its a luxury I can't afford. Also our local swimming pool is gross! I have a sports massage tomorrow on my foot and although it is still paining me a little, I want to start doing some light jogging on it again. The thing is, when I exercise I find the SW plan so much easier to stick to, its like the two go hand in hand....and although I haven't been mega naughty, I haven't been counting my syns and have just, ever so slightly let things slip a little. Not a total fall off that wagon, but not brilliant - so today I try in earnest:

B - Hifi bar (HEB)

L - Roasted Veg Pasta with Mozzarella (HEA) and Chilli Sauce (1)

D - Sausage (1.5), Mash and Veg and Gravy (1) and mustard (1)

Snacks - Grapes and a punnet of Strawbs
Water - 2 litres

SYNS - 4.5

image-3537528009.jpg

This was gorgeous, just what the doctors ordered.

Last edited:
Wednesday 1st August

Day Two of being 100% (I hope!). I have my sports massage in an hour. I am really hoping that once it stops being sore from the massage, I can start training again.

B - Hifi Bar (HEB)

L - Roasted Veg and Sausage (1) pasta with mozzarella (HEA)

D - Hmmm, not sure. Will update later - I hate not having a plan for dinner, but do you know what? I am sick of getting home later than Mick to see him (who gets home earlier than me) sitting on his chuff watching TV, having done sweet FA since walking through the door - I, on the other hand get in, get changed, have a wee and start dinner, washing up as I go (sometimes the plates from the night before, if he hasn't bothered doing them!) then I present him with a nice meal. Which I then remove and take out and pile by the sink - sometimes he does them, sometimes he doesn't. This morning I got up and did the washing up from last night, which grated me, I know he could have done them when he gets in, but I hate thinking of the dishes congealing in the kitchen all day. I am on a cooking ban for today - just once I would like a meal cooked for me for when I get in. More than that though I would like him to think "I am going to cook for Char tonight" rather than me having to point it out. Mind you if the cooking were down to me we would be having ready made Southern Fried Chicken and Chips or ready made Lasagne or Frozen Pizza - which kinda got me in this state in the first place!

Hey Hun,

Your dinner last night looked lovely, proper comfort food mmmmm!

Your last post about Mick could have been written about my OH, how nice it would be to have a healthy meal cooked for you and not because you have nagged and had a paddy beforehand. But I am particular about things and I do love to cook so sometimes I think I bring it on myself, however just the offer would be nice sometimes :rolleyes:

Good luck with the sport massage
xx

Hey Hun,

Your dinner last night looked lovely, proper comfort food mmmmm!

Your last post about Mick could have been written about my OH, how nice it would be to have a healthy meal cooked for you and not because you have nagged and had a paddy beforehand. But I am particular about things and I do love to cook so sometimes I think I bring it on myself, however just the offer would be nice sometimes :rolleyes:

Good luck with the sport massage
xx

So true! I know I am the same, I am a bit OCD when it comes to people in MY kitchen - I find it difficult to relinquish control - he puts too much butter in the mash etc. But I think instead of throwing a wobbler at them or just getting on and doing it ourselves, maybe we should gently encourage our men to have a go. Give them a few recipes and get them to pick one, buy the ingredients and just do it - the rule of the home is 'he/she who cooks, doesn't wash up' which is, I think, how it should be when two people who both work in the City and are out of the house equal lengths of time. But that doesn't always pan out. On the odd occasion Mick does cook he uses every single pot, pan, plate and cup we own and leaves everything out - he doesn't have the capacity to clean and tidy as you go along, nor does he do what I think is key to a cooking operation - preparation! e.g. when he is cooking a Spag Bol, he will put the mince on and fry them to the point that they are overcooked and dry because he browns them before chopping any veg, which takes him ages anyway as he is very particular. Then he will have forgotten to put in the garlic or something that I think is key, mainly because he doesn't really like the smell of it! I, on the other hand, chop and get all my herbs and spices out, have my puree at the ready and my passata cut opened and primed... oh my god I sound like a Sergeant Major of the Kitchen! I should really just be thankful that he cooks at all shouldn't i?! I am such a meany.

How are you doing Vick? I will hop over to your FD.
xx

So true! I know I am the same, I am a bit OCD when it comes to people in MY kitchen - I find it difficult to relinquish control - he puts too much butter in the mash etc. But I think instead of throwing a wobbler at them or just getting on and doing it ourselves, maybe we should gently encourage our men to have a go. Give them a few recipes and get them to pick one, buy the ingredients and just do it - the rule of the home is 'he/she who cooks, doesn't wash up' which is, I think, how it should be when two people who both work in the City and are out of the house equal lengths of time. But that doesn't always pan out. On the odd occasion Mick does cook he uses every single pot, pan, plate and cup we own and leaves everything out - he doesn't have the capacity to clean and tidy as you go along, nor does he do what I think is key to a cooking operation - preparation! e.g. when he is cooking a Spag Bol, he will put the mince on and fry them to the point that they are overcooked and dry because he browns them before chopping any veg, which takes him ages anyway as he is very particular. Then he will have forgotten to put in the garlic or something that I think is key, mainly because he doesn't really like the smell of it! I, on the other hand, chop and get all my herbs and spices out, have my puree at the ready and my passata cut opened and primed... oh my god I sound like a Sergeant Major of the Kitchen! I should really just be thankful that he cooks at all shouldn't i?! I am such a meany.

How are you doing Vick? I will hop over to your FD.
xx

I completely agree, Rick will have a go at tea if nagged but he spends hours chopping precisely and uses every pan and chopping board too (that MUST be a man thing) and he asks me at every single step what to do, I shouldn't complain but it would be nice if he could just have a go rather than walking in the living room with a piece of potato asking how long it takes to boil then the same thing with the broccoli etc etc, I end up thinking it's just so much easier to make it myself. I'm sure he does it on purpose sometimes so I relent and take over. One of his 'best' attempts when I refused to help after having a strop resulted in mackerel with roasted veg cous cous, he cooked the mackerel for 45 mins in the oven - yes 45mins! Then roasted cucumber with the roasting veg as he thought it would be like courgette, i mean seriously?! It took me a week to get rid of the smell from the kitchen!! Bless him he can't win either way!

I have a new diary, thought it would help with the fresh start and all that. 1/2 day down and still on the wagon lol! xx

I completely agree, Rick will have a go at tea if nagged but he spends hours chopping precisely and uses every pan and chopping board too (that MUST be a man thing) and he asks me at every single step what to do, I shouldn't complain but it would be nice if he could just have a go rather than walking in the living room with a piece of potato asking how long it takes to boil then the same thing with the broccoli etc etc, I end up thinking it's just so much easier to make it myself. I'm sure he does it on purpose sometimes so I relent and take over. One of his 'best' attempts when I refused to help after having a strop resulted in mackerel with roasted veg cous cous, he cooked the mackerel for 45 mins in the oven - yes 45mins! Then roasted cucumber with the roasting veg as he thought it would be like courgette, i mean seriously?! It took me a week to get rid of the smell from the kitchen!! Bless him he can't win either way!

I have a new diary, thought it would help with the fresh start and all that. 1/2 day down and still on the wagon lol! xx

Aah that made me laugh! I bet that meal tasted a real treat!!!! Poor Rick! And actually poor Mick! They can't win can they?!

I understand with fresh starts and all, this is my third attempt at a diary, I am amazed I have stuck to it this long. I will have a little look for your diary, whats it called?
x

Charleybarley said:
Wednesday 1st August

Day Two of being 100% (I hope!). I have my sports massage in an hour. I am really hoping that once it stops being sore from the massage, I can start training again.

B - Hifi Bar (HEB)

L - Roasted Veg and Sausage (1) pasta with mozzarella (HEA)

D - Hmmm, not sure. Will update later - I hate not having a plan for dinner, but do you know what? I am sick of getting home later than Mick to see him (who gets home earlier than me) sitting on his chuff watching TV, having done sweet FA since walking through the door - I, on the other hand get in, get changed, have a wee and start dinner, washing up as I go (sometimes the plates from the night before, if he hasn't bothered doing them!) then I present him with a nice meal. Which I then remove and take out and pile by the sink - sometimes he does them, sometimes he doesn't. This morning I got up and did the washing up from last night, which grated me, I know he could have done them when he gets in, but I hate thinking of the dishes congealing in the kitchen all day. I am on a cooking ban for today - just once I would like a meal cooked for me for when I get in. More than that though I would like him to think "I am going to cook for Char tonight" rather than me having to point it out. Mind you if the cooking were down to me we would be having ready made Southern Fried Chicken and Chips or ready made Lasagne or Frozen Pizza - which kinda got me in this state in the first place!

Dont worry i have been with my boyfriend for a year and a half and hes NEVER cooked me a meal and that is no exaggeration!

Dont worry i have been with my boyfriend for a year and a half and hes NEVER cooked me a meal and that is no exaggeration!

Hey Lovey

How are you getting on? I have been a little slack on minimins and haven't been round to everyone's diary - I am going for a snoop now!

x

Thursday 2nd August

B - Hifi bar (HEB)

L - Sardine Pasta Salad (1) olives (2) salad cream

D - NAUGHTY EXPLICIT FOOD INTAKE! (Mick and I went to go to the cinema but it was rammed and so we decided to go for a meal in a fabulous steakhouse next door - I had mushroom alfredo to start followed by half rack of ribs with chips! We then went home and had desserts which was a options hot chocolate with squirty cream and 6 squares of cadburys whole nut - ALL ON THE NIGHT BEFORE WEIGH IN!!!!

Snacks - Melon; Apple
SYNS - The Lord only knows!

Last edited:
How are you getting on? Did you make dinner on Wed eve or did you continue with your 'cooking strike'? x

Getting on ok - a naughty evening was had last night pre-weigh in but it thankfully didn't make a difference this morning. I will be good all this week though to make up for it.

Wednesday was odd, Mick had a driving lesson (which means I get him before him) and we were supposed to go to the cinema, which we do quite often - on nights we go to the cinema we have a quick meal which is usually 2 mins Mexican Rice (which is heaven if you haven't tried it, only 2.5 syns for the whole pouch) with two fried eggs. So I relented and made that for us both, we got changed and went to the cinema only to remember when we got there that it was Orange Wednesday and the whole world and his mate was queuing up to see it, I couldn't find a parking space and Mick couldn't even get near the ticket booth, so we went home depressed. I ended up eating a massive bag of cheese and onion walkers to myself and had a small daim milka bar, Mick ate the best part of a large bar of whole nut!

Thursday we tried again and again it was jam packed and the cinema was fully booked so we went for a meal (see my post above!).

So all in all, I have had an up and down week both food wise and him indoors wise. We had a little chat about things last night as that and other things were bothering me. Things are now good, we are spending the entire weekend decorating my flat (body magic!) and watching the Olympics and attempting for the third time this week to watch Ted on Sunday morning!

How are you hun, what are you up to this weekend?

Friday 3rd August - WEIGH IN DAY - 3LB OFF!

Well that was a shocker, 3lb off - I am going to sound like one of those girls who I used to want to poke in the eye when I went to class but... I don't know how I have managed to lose, I haven't been very good!... which I guess is only partly true - I haven't been too too bad, but Wednesday and Thursday nights were BAAAD - I can only assume that those two nights will come back and haunt me at next weeks' weigh in. So I am pledging to be good all this week, I may even do a gentle jog in a few days to see how my foot will be.

B - 2 boiled egg and ham sandwich (HEB+5)

L - Ham Pasta Salad (HEA) for Mozzarella

D - My "Nandos" Chicken and Rice (2.5) with salad (3) for Piri Piri (1) for salad dressing.

Snacks - 2x 375g of Mixed Melon from M&S;

SYNS - 11.5

Tuesday 7th August

Not been on here for a while. I haven't been too bad foodwise, we have been busy with decorating the flat. I need to start seriously thinking about getting some proper exercise in. I may get out for a little jog tomorrow. My foot is not fully there yet but I will give it a go.

B - Grapes and Melon and Yog

L - Pasta Salad with Tuna (1) for olives and (1) for mayo

D - Bacon cheese burger, chips and salad (4) for various sauces.

Snacks - Punnet of strawbs

Wednesday 8th August

B - Hifi bar (HEB)

L - Chicken Pasta Salad (1) for Mayo (1) for olives

D - Chicken, New pots from mums garden, broc cabbage cauli (5) for cheese sauce.

Snacks - Melon and an apple

Syns - 7

Last edited:
Hi just popping by your diary! Bet you can't wait to go to Rome. I was in Italy a couple of weeks ago. Prepare yourself for the ice cream. Oh my GOD!!!! I've never tasted anything like it!! :)

teddysgoldengirl said:
Hi just popping by your diary! Bet you can't wait to go to Rome. I was in Italy a couple of weeks ago. Prepare yourself for the ice cream. Oh my GOD!!!! I've never tasted anything like it!! :)

Hey Hun,

Welcome to mu diary, sometimes I feel like I am talking to myself!! Yes so excited about Rome. We are there for a week we have rented an apartment about a 10 min bus ride away from the Vatican. I have heard lots of good things about their gelato and yes I will be partaking! I am told it is expensive out there though. I do plan on cooking a few times indoors and also doing picnics abd brekkie at the apartment- least thats the plan! One thing about me is that no matter how well I am doing with my diet, I always let loose when I am holiday. You gotta enjoy your right?? X

amyoh8 said:
Hope you ended up going to see Ted. I saw it yesterday it was pretty funny. Kind of not what I fully expected though.
Your food diary looks good going to try and get some inspiration from it :)

Hey thanks for coming by it's nice to know I could help inspire your taste buds. I can thoroughly recommend my spag carbonara, if you like that kind of thing. It's heaven on a plate, although I always make and eat far too much!!!

I liked Ted too, not my fav or most funniest movie of all time but good enough, abd I just love Mark Wahlberg!! I watched boogie nights for the first time last night - Mmmmmmm. Xx

Hey Hun,

Welcome to mu diary, sometimes I feel like I am talking to myself!! Yes so excited about Rome. We are there for a week we have rented an apartment about a 10 min bus ride away from the Vatican. I have heard lots of good things about their gelato and yes I will be partaking! I am told it is expensive out there though. I do plan on cooking a few times indoors and also doing picnics abd brekkie at the apartment- least thats the plan! One thing about me is that no matter how well I am doing with my diet, I always let loose when I am holiday. You gotta enjoy your right?? X

Oh yes I totally agree! When in Rome ... and all that! When my fiancé (still feels weird calling him that) and I were in Lake Garda we went totally overboard with the food. I'm talking a large pizza (each) for lunch everyday and AT LEAST two ice creams. And the wine! Don't get me started on that! I've heard Rome is expensive but the area of Lake Garda we were in was ridiculously cheap - we could get two pizzas, a fanta and a glass of wine for €10. We were half board in our hotel so that meant a 3 course dinner every evening which was delicious! I'm surprised I only managed to put on 4lbs because I sort of abandoned slimming world when he got off work on his hols, which was actually a week before we went to Italy. Wish I was going away again! No hols for me next year, saving for our wedding! :eek:

Thursday 9th August

I just realised that I haven't taken photographs of my food for ages, I will rectify this forthwith!

B - Hifi Bar (HEB)

L - Chicken, roasted veg and salad (1) for salad cream.

D - Carbonara with salad (HEA) (2.5) for chorizo

Snack - Apple, peach, cheddar pretzels (5.5)

Syns - 9

Back