Cheap meals

Dont know about all of you, but I'm very skint now as spent far too much on pressies this year and I don't get paid until end of jan! Any help with meal ideas or recipes that I can make to help me through?! Thankyou all x

There are several thousand recipes in the recipe forums...

Pasta shapes and a tomato and veg sauce,curried rice and veg,slimming world quiche,jacket spuds and beans,soups( could keep you going for a couple of days),pasta salads,sw chips egg and beans,homemade fish cakes using cheap fish and mash,hope these are of some help :)

Green recipes will be cheaper than EE and base your meals around pasta, rice, pulses, lentils and meatfree products as these are cheaper than meat. Go for frozen veg and fruit rather than fresh and shop around for bargains and special offers. Plan your meals so there is no waste and use all leftovers. There are loads of threads on hre about doing SW on a budget so try doing a search for more hints and tips.

When I'm struggling for money I tend to buy frozen veg. Cheaper and there is no waste- what you don't use will go back in the freezer, so I tend to buy those bits that are called for in the occasional recipe but not an everyday staple. I've had the same bag of pepper in the freezer for ages!

Lollipop2855 said:
Thankyou for the tips everyone. Am going to do a bulk shop tomorrow after planning a months worth of meals! X

Wow a months worth !!!!
Share some ideas with me as I really struggle trying to keep everyone happy in my house !!!! ( there are 7 of us !!!!) :)

I buy the packs of pre-cooked chicken pieces from Iceland as you can make so many recipes from it and you only need to use as much as you want instead of using say a chicken breast then cutting up and ending with to much.

bilsat said:
I buy the packs of pre-cooked chicken pieces from Iceland as you can make so many recipes from it and you only need to use as much as you want instead of using say a chicken breast then cutting up and ending with to much.

I used to buy them as well,but they have added water and stuff in them and I don't like the texture now.
But I do agree that they are handy :)

After reading Mama's thread I think i'm going to have a go at a week worth of rice dishes. Easy to bulk out with free veg and stir in green portion of meat or fish to flavour. Plus it will be cheap :)

JezVonSavage said:
After reading Mama's thread I think i'm going to have a go at a week worth of rice dishes. Easy to bulk out with free veg and stir in green portion of meat or fish to flavour. Plus it will be cheap :)

Mama is a legend !!! Lol

The mushy pea curry sauce is very cheap - you can use the value mushy peas & tinned chopped tomatoes -

1 Tin Mushy Peas
1 Tin Chopped tomatoes
1 Fried Onion (in frylight)
Medium Curry Powder (as much as you want to taste

Can be used as is, or you can add vegetables e.g. cauli, peppers, mushrooms etc

I tried that once but it still tasted a lot of mushy peas and the consistency wasn't quite right. Do you think I should cook it down for longer?

JezVonSavage said:
I tried that once but it still tasted a lot of mushy peas and the consistency wasn't quite right. Do you think I should cook it down for longer?

I bulk it out with more tomatoes and any veg ( quite like sweetcorn but looks not great! ) and reduce it and is yum. It goes very thick. I often have it on its own.

I shall have a bash at that Jade, thanks for the tip ;)

One thing I have found is I tend to waste a lot of food mainly because of laziness for example if I cook a chicken and there is some left, I forgot to put it in the fridge to have the next day.
Or if I make a curry or chilli I forget to refrigerate any left overs, even freeze them if I won't be having immediately! I am starting to do this now as it saves lots of money.
Red days are definitely more expensive which is a pain as I prefer them :rolleyes:

I find that cartons of passata are cheaper than tinned tomatoes so I go for that instead and I prefer the taste. Pasta is always a good cheap essential and it is easy to make a variety of pasta bakes using passata, garlic, herbs etc with other stuff thrown in such as onions, frozen sliced peppers, chopped bacon. If you like a creamy bake, then mixing some milk or low fat natural yog with the passata is good.

Loose bananas are cheap at the moment and I know they are more for desserts but you can do a lot with them.

Jacket potatoes and loaded potato skins are cheap options.

Beany pie-I use individual dessert size bowls or hot pot type dishes. Layer the bottom with beans, top with a layer of mash and then add your hex a cheese on top. Heat in the oven until beans are warm and cheese melted, grill the top if you like it crispy.

Savoury bread and butter puddings are good, there are some recipes on the recipe forum i believe.

I am also a massive fan of freezing leftovers. I have an aunt who is brilliant at making the most of her shopping- she could get three meals out of one chicken!! (A roast, a hotpot with the legs and a soup with the carcass!!)

To save money, I do a weekly food menu and write a really detailed list for when I go shopping. I only buy what is on the list- it also cuts my shopping time down, I can get round Asda for a full weekly shop in about 20 mins if I know what I want!! I always try to take advantage of the meat that is 3 for £10 (I believe tesco does a similar deal) and if we get a meat or fish that we won't be eating that week I make sure there is a use for it the week later. Also, we always go shopping at about 3pm on a sunday- when all the fresh stuff in our asda gets "whoopsed" (reduced) because the shop closes at 4.

Back