Cheap red ideas?...

All great ideas! I tend to buy joints of meat on offer - at Morrisons last week I picked up a shoulder joint of pork for about a fiver and when I got home split it into 3 portions and froze 2 of them! Works out at about £1.80ish for a nice joint (plenty of meat for the two of us) and just served it up with loads of veggies (I always have frozen veggies - green beans, broccoli, carrot, swede etc.) xxx

Cornflour is on my list now!
Might have to invest in the silicone tray thingy - where would I get one cheap do you think? I also want to get some silicone ice cube trays to make some jelly sweets
Oh and I'm going to make a batch of tomato soup today...I normally make whatever veg I have going soup but it never actually tastes of any veg iykwim so might stick to a 1 veg soup.
Is BNS free on red? Quite fancy BNS soup or BNS and cauliflower curry (saw jamie Oliver make it and looked yum)

Oh and I'm going to make a batch of tomato soup today...I normally make whatever veg I have going soup but it never actually tastes of any veg iykwim so might stick to a 1 veg soup.

With soup, if there's no dominant flavour - I just lob some sort of pork products in it - always makes it taste good!

Poundland have 3 tins of tuna flakes for a £1. I always keep some in the cupboard as they are quick and easy to turn into a meal

Rotisserie chicken from the hot counters isn't free. You'd need to syn it.

Getting cheaper cuts of meat and using a slow cooker is a great way of saving money too x

No you don't. so long as you remove the skin it's fine. There's been another thread on this in the past and the supermarkets have confirmed that they don't do anything to the actual meat of the chicken other than put a glaze, or rub onto the skin. I know a lot of people seem to think they're injected with fat/sugar/oil but I checked and it's not true.

Is after all only a roast chicken!

Jennyonaplate said:
No you don't. so long as you remove the skin it's fine. There's been another thread on this in the past and the supermarkets have confirmed that they don't do anything to the actual meat of the chicken other than put a glaze, or rub onto the skin. I know a lot of people seem to think they're injected with fat/sugar/oil but I checked and it's not true.

Is after all only a roast chicken!

My consultant says other lol happy days, I can never be bothered to cook a chicken myself! X

Cornflour is on my list now!
Might have to invest in the silicone tray thingy - where would I get one cheap do you think? I also want to get some silicone ice cube trays to make some jelly sweets
Is BNS free on red? Quite fancy BNS soup or BNS and cauliflower curry (saw jamie Oliver make it and looked yum)

B&M sell silicone cupcake/muffin trays and cake tins for £2 and ikea do the silicone icecube trays in different shapes.

Just thought I would add that the major supermarkets do smoked salmon trimmings which are about 87p a pack and in red days I love them! Feels like a real treat! You can h e some with eggs for breakfast or a nice brunch or with salad or I often have them with ryvita and laughing cow. They would be lovely in a quiche too!

someone asked about thickening sauces on red days - when I make casseroles (especially in the slow cooker and they are too wet) I whizz up the some of the stock with as many as the onions and veg as I can fish out, and a couple of cubes of meat - add it back to the stock - much more body to it!

Back