chemist scared the pants off me

matronix

Some advice needed
When I went to get weighed today I lost another 3 lbs. Still got 2lbs to get to new target. I am very happy with this target but my chemist asked if I would consider going to 11st t allow me a bigger leeway while refeeding. He has been very supportive since I started but he went on an on about the risks of gaining when refeeding and possibly putting on between 7 and 10 lbs. Its really put the wind up me. He more or less said that a weight gain in inevitable as it is such a low cal diet and the chances of paople eating more is so high. We have agreed that I will continue on 3 shakes until wednesday next and then cut down to two until next saturday for the weigh in. He has suggested that I prolong the refeed over two weeks and I will be taking one shake with me on holiday. I understand where he is coming from and he has given really good advise about exercise, smaller plate, eating off an empty place, ets. He is so positive about what I have achieved and does not want me to have to go back with a big gain. and I go on holiday on the 22 may so I need to be well off it by then.
I find the whole idea really daunting to the point where its better not to eat at all. I envisage going back after a week and having gained weight.
Reassurance needed please

I ve done a week on refeed now, half way through the refeed I gained a couple of pounds (I weigh myself everyday) but after the week had ended I'd stayed the same, actually I was half a pound lighter so I am happy with that. I followed the refeed programe exactly, if you dont you can gain 7 -10 lb (if you look at the 'sticky' thread it explaines more about it. I go on holiday on Friday so I ve got today and 3 more days to eat healthly, I'll probably follow the refeed programe thats on day 4-7 but have an healthy breakfast intead of a shake.
Try not to worry, the chemist has given you the correct information but thats only correct if you dive into food and eat like you used to eat. I would refeed when you feel comfatable and I would follow the refeed programe (not one that the chemist has made up) If you look at everyones refeed on here you can see that they have all either stayed the same or even lost on refeed (Kered lost loads on refeed)
Hope Kered doesnt mind me saying that but she and everyone else have done brilliant on refeed.
I hope this is some help for you hun, I looked at all the refeed diary's and took loads of ideas from them for my own x x good luck

I am not on refeed yet, but from what I have read yes you can put 7-10 pounds on of water if you dont refeed properly. From what I have read you need to be very disciplined on refeed and those that have had lost a few pounds and couple gained a few pounds, but then lost it. I am going on refeed for two weeks before my holidays so we will have to compare. I am sure someone who has experienced refeed will come along soon to reassure you.x

Don't panic!
You will only start gaining lots of weight if you lose control and don't do the refeed properly.
Like Floridagirl, I went up a few lbs immediately but by the end of the week was 1.5lbs down, then the next week I lost 3.5lbs.
I'm not going crazy but I'm having little treats and eating plenty. I'm trying to keep my carb intake low but I am definitely having lots more calories than I was on LT, so it doesn't neccesarily follow that as soon as you eat more calories your weight will balloon!
Follow the refeed to the letter, get some exercise and enjoy it hun - you will be fine.
And I guess the key to doing it long term is keeping it in check. So if you go up a pound one week you know that you have to be better behaved the next ;)
I know the main reson I put so much weight on is that I was avoiding the scales so was in denial about how much I had gained. If you take control of it you will be fine.
And as FloridaGirl said, have a look at everyone's menus, they are great for meal ideas etc.
x

I lost about 10lbs on refeed and the chemist refused to sell me any more shakes ( I was having the shake for breakfast for 2 weeks and still lost the following week when I was having breakfast)

I then upped my calorie intake and was maintaining until a bender in liverpool and Ive found it hard to get back into the swing of healthy eating and no snacks since then and have gained 3lbs, but I maintained for over a month x

I agree with what everyone says and as long as you follow refeed properly you should be fine. I stayed the same the first week, then lost weight the following 3 weeks (Of course I dont mind you saying that Floridagirl). Its only if you go straight to high carb meals the gain could be big, and its not a fat gain, its just the glycogen levels filling up too quickly.

Just make sure you have your 2 weeks of refeed before your holiday to get the best out of it. Good luck in your choice.

As most people have said, what the chemist said is correct, although he could have explained it a little better.

It's recommended that you do the refeed for longer if you've lost quite a bit of weight to allow your body to adjust to eating again.

If you do it for the two weeks as it shows, then try to stick to high protein/low carb/low fat when on your hols, you should be fine.

Hi, just looking at this thread and feeling unsure.

I'm due to start refeed next Tuesday which is the 12th of May and am going on hols 23 May which is less than two weeks of refeed before the hols.

If I take at least one shake during my hols and keep to low fat and sensible carb eating do you think I will be ok as in not put on weight or should I take two shakes a day after my week 1 refeed to be sure?

I just find it incredible that I hold down a relatively responsible managerial job during the day and manage to do it quite well, but when it comes to food and weight and weight management, I'm like a blundering idiot. :confused: Cracked isn't it??:)

Anyway once again, I am so glad I found this site, you're all doing so well and give me the hope I need.

Any idea who is the longest maintainer on the site?

Well done to you all:happy096::party0038:

I was on refeed for approximately 5 days before I went on holiday and actually lost whilst I was there, without being a saint all the time, so it's more than possible.

Just stick to the refeed religously before you go, then try the low carb approach whilst there.

Good luck.

Mark

Thanks Mark. I see you have done great. I've been following your refeed diary along with the others.

I need now to go off and brush up on my knowledge of what a carb is! I listened to the refeed CD from pharmacy and they recommend that 60% of your daily calorie intake should come in carb form. Does that sound right?

So if I was on 1000 calorie (and does that sound right also?) a day diet, 600 calories should come from carbs, 15%, 150 cals from protein and the rest 25%, 250 should come from fats. I think the 250 fat cals are probably mainly contained in the carb and protein food any way.

This is how I get myself all in a tangle:(

Off to work now, speak later.

M

I didn't get the option of a CD, but the figures don't seem right to me (certainly not from what I've been following anyway), but I guess someone like Mary, might have a better answer for you as she has been doing the calorie counting method, which is a little more "scientific" than my "that should be ok" approach.

Enjoy your day at work. :)

thanks

Hi All
have decided to refeed on thursday and stick to the lipotrim plan. will also take a sachet on holiday for during the day. Will then be able to have perhaps eggs, toms, fruit etc for breakfast and protein and salad at night with some potatoes as carb option. Will keep clear of bread though. does this sound ok.

Thanks Mark. I see you have done great. I've been following your refeed diary along with the others.

I need now to go off and brush up on my knowledge of what a carb is! I listened to the refeed CD from pharmacy and they recommend that 60% of your daily calorie intake should come in carb form. Does that sound right?

So if I was on 1000 calorie (and does that sound right also?) a day diet, 600 calories should come from carbs, 15%, 150 cals from protein and the rest 25%, 250 should come from fats. I think the 250 fat cals are probably mainly contained in the carb and protein food any way.

This is how I get myself all in a tangle:(

Off to work now, speak later.

M

I didnt see that CD either, but it doesnt sound right to me either.

Ideally your dinner should be half of your plate salad/veg, quarter of your plate carbs, quarter of your plate protein.

I tend to have half a plate of salad with quarter plate fish, quarter plate rice, sticking to this for your main meals is a good ratio, but on the first few weeks I wouldn't even have quarter carbs (rice, potatoes) to get your body used to carbs again.

Hi Mark & Mary

Attached is an extract from the lipotrim refeed which refers to carbs making up 60% etc. Have i picked up the wrong message? Glad I asked before I refeed:(

6. If carbohydrate foods are reintroduced gradually and in the right sequence over a period of days, the glycogen will return to a normal and modest level without unnecessary weight gain.

Carbohydrate foods include: vegetables, potato, cereal, breads, pasta/rice and fruits. There are carbohydrate foods containing a lot of simple sugars - such as fruit - and those we term 'complex', such as most vegetables.

These will form the bulk (60%) of your long term change to healthy eating buy need to be controlled during refeeding and afterwards for those who have had an insulin resistance problem.

What do you think?

M

Yeah, that makes more sense, I guess I am a little ignorant when it comes to carbs and I only really think of carbs as potatoes, rice, bread and pasta.

Looking at the full list I guess it does have a bigger part of my daily diet, all the salads, veg, fruit and cereal, so it probably is right.

Thanks Mary!

By the way, I hope it's not me that's boring you!! Ahem! :rolleyes:

M

Boring me??..........lol

Dont be afraid to ask questions, its is a whole new way of life after TFR.

Got a bit worried when I saw your mood down as bored :p

You'll not get rid of me that easily, thick skinned I think they call it :D

lol

Hahahaa, I think I changed that mood a few weeks ago when I was on a long 12 hour nightshift...........off to change it now lol.

Phew ;)

Back