Cruise PV chicken liver & mushroom spread

CheeseGirl

Gold Member
Slightly modified from the original recipe that's always been a hit at parties, unfortunately the butter and cream have been omitted:)
The spices are all a pinch here and a pinch there, to taste.

300g chicken livers, trimmed
200g white mushrooms, roughly chopped
1 onion, roughly chopped
couple of chopped shallots, if you've got some in
3 cloves garlic, crushed (or more if you're so inclined)
Spices: 1 bay leaf, nutmeg (or mixed spice), tarragon (or sage is good), thyme, sweetener
salt and pepper
butter flavouring
brandy flavouring
couple tablespoons quark
fresh chopped parsley

Saute onions and mushrooms in large skillet 2-3 minutes, add livers, garlic and spices (except salt) and continue to cook about 10 minutes until liver no longer pink. Remove bay leaf, add salt to taste then butter and brandy flavourings, parsley and quark. Puree with hand blender until smooth. Chill. Spread on savoury muffins or dukan bread. Even bf couldn't tell this wasn't the original recipe with butter and cream :)

this sounds delish , I need to try it thank you for posting xx

my original (pre-diet!) recipe was similar to the one above: frying up the livers with onion, mushroom, and also some bacon. wonder if it would work with ham instead? i don't suppose i could use bacon and trim the rind and fat...:confused:

Made this today. Yum yum yum. Had it on some Dukan bread. Really really good. So good in fact could eat the whole lot. Do you know how long it keeps refrigerated or can it be frozen ( so I don't eat it all!).

Thank you for sharing this one shall be making again.

my original (pre-diet!) recipe was similar to the one above: frying up the livers with onion, mushroom, and also some bacon. wonder if it would work with ham instead? i don't suppose i could use bacon and trim the rind and fat...:confused:

I'm not sure how ham would help, part of the purpose of bacon is to impart yummy flavour and grease and I doubt ham would be of benefit. Maybe some low fat turkey bacon? I can't get any where I am so could only be jealous of that! :)

Made this today. Yum yum yum. Had it on some Dukan bread. Really really good. So good in fact could eat the whole lot. Do you know how long it keeps refrigerated or can it be frozen ( so I don't eat it all!).

Thank you for sharing this one shall be making again.

I've kept this in the fridge with no problem for 5 days, any longer than that I'd start to worry :) I've never frozen it, but generally (in my experience) foods containing dairy products don't seem to hold up well. I wonder if you could freeze it without the quark, and add that in after defrosting? When we can't eat it all I usually share some with a friend or someone:)

Thanks for replying. I put it in the fridge. Good to know how long it lasts - don't think there will be any left by day 5 .............

Back