chickpea cake

GemmaB1984

Last nite at class a lady was saying about a SW friendly chickpea cake which u can add essences, eggs and drinking choc too and she sed its lush and tastes like a cake not chickpeas!

anyhoo was wondering if anyone had a recipe ?

thanks muchly xxx

Enjoy :) :)

chickpea-cake.jpg
Chickpea Cake

Ingredients

• 250g Chick Peas, Tinned, Organic, Tesco
  • 5g Vanilla Extract, Average
  • 1 Tsp/2g Baking Powder, Average
  • 3 Egg/168g Eggs, Medium, Average
  • 100g Cheese, Quark, Average
  • 25g Sweetener, Granulated, Splenda
Method

Pre heat oven to 180 degrees

1. Spray a 7 inch cake tin with fry light and leave to one side.

2. Drain the chick peas and rinse thoroughly with water.

3. Place the chick peas in a blender and blend until smooth then add the eggs and blend again.

4. Add the sweetener, vanilla extract and baking powder.

5. Blend again until mixed in.

6. Place the mixture in the tin and bake in the over for 20 mins or until it has risen and is firm to touch.

7. Take out the over and leave to cool.
Whilst the cake is cooling place one tub of quark in a bowl and add sweetener to taste then mix together.

Once the cake has cooled cut in half and add half the quark mixture and sandwich the 2 halves together.

Spread the remaining quark on top of the cake and add some fresh fruit for decoration.

you just need to be careful when having this, as slimming world head office have confirmed you need to syn the chickpeas, as you are using them as a substitute for flour.

so it is 5 syns I think per 28g of chickpeas.

I thought chickpeas were free? Does that mean I have to syn asda chickpea dahl? Hope not, because I just love it!!

I thought chickpeas were free? Does that mean I have to syn asda chickpea dahl? Hope not, because I just love it!!

your right they are free when used in a filling meal.

the are synned in a cake, because they are used as a substitute for flour. The same would go for cous cous or anything like that which you use to replace flour .

Oh, didn't know that. Thanks you..... so glad my chickpea dahl is free :)

Hello brit mum in canada, does that mean that the onion bhajis(chick pea blended in recipe along with the mashed potato) and also the cous cous dumplings would be synned? If so is there an alternative because I am struggling, im keeping my syns down but want to make stew and dumpling, and all the other nice things without it been synned. Thank you in advance :confused:

No you'll be fine with your bhaji. I think the question you need to ask is whether you would have used that product in that way before SW. Clearly you wouldn't have chosen to use chickpeas or cous cous when making a cake. Also you are using the chickpeas as part of a main meal and will be eating them in limited quantities rather than as a snack where there is the potential to eat large amounts very easily.

try going back to the main recipe page and doing a search - there is a blue button to the top right of the sticky section that says 'search this forum' :)

I'm just going off to make chickpea cake now!

happylauren said:
I'm just going off to make chickpea cake now!

Just be aware this is an old post, and things like this are no longer officially free, and are classed as food abuse because you are not using the free food as it was intended!! Altho a lot of people still eat them and lose weight! :)

Back