Chikikie's Diet Diary

I have no intention of rising to a debate over who's personal trainer is correct. Believe what you want. Your problem. I'll stick with the research.

I think you'll find its EVERYONES problem when you spout inaccuracies when they believe you. now please leave my thread alone i do not wish it to be closed. thankyou

Chikikie, I feel I must say that KD is a very well respected member and moderator of this forum and never gives out advice that is not accurate. No one has said that you can't build muscle while you are losing weight but you won't if you are malnourished. I am martial arts trained and all the Sensei's at my academy have extensive qualifications and are also trained fitness coaches. I have no doubts over KD's credentials and I wouldn't dismiss her advice.

This is a support forum which works on mutual support by ALL members

Hi Chikikie

I have been reading these posts with interest and would just like to add something to the mix.

Over the years I have found that cutting down calories (the amount of fuel you give your body) cuts down on the weight you carry. However, there is a delicate balance between cutting down on the excess calories and not having enough of the essential "fuel" for a healthy body.

It is well known that when a body is starved of essential nutrients it will find it elsewhere and the first place it goes looking is the muscles (the so called cannibal effect). This is problematic in that muscle has the ability to burn fat and you are then depleting your best ally in the weightloss battle.

It has been my experience that when you work against your body's best interest there is usually a pay-back and in this case pay-back often comes in the form of another well known effect - the yo-yo. This is when the diet becomes too difficult to maintain and your body's ability to burn fat is also depleted. I hope this helps. I have found an article that explains this in more depth and have posted the link below.

Fitness Together of Buckhead Web Log: The Pitfalls of Calorie Deprivation

Reactions: KD
From what I can see from your diary it looks like you are having enough calories therefore this shouldn't be a problem for you anyway. I just think you misunderstood what KD has said and was quite rude to her about it

Just stopping by to post another couple of links you may find interesting and useful. They explain the pathway - Calorie deprivation = muscle depletion - muscle (matabolism) = fat burning, therefore calorie deprivation is ultimately not helpful in weightloss. The first one also explains how the body uses cravings to obtain what it is needs when it feels threatened. I hope this helps. Definitely worth a read.

Dynamics of Bioanalogics Body Composition.

http://www.theallineed.com/health/05040502.htm

Last edited:
Back