Child not eating because mummy isn't?

Hi Emma,
I saw your status on FB, so tracked this down on here, missed it before. So sorry you're stressing about little one not eating but (excuse shouting) IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT!!!!!!!!!
You are worth giving yourself this chance. You have done brilliantly so far.
Children of O's age will not starve themselves. Absolutely not. My youngest (4) is probably ASD (as is eldest) and is incredibly faddy about eating, but although he is slim he isn't starving himself. My HV did say that me giving him milk because he didn't eat was counterproductive as it fills him up - perhaps the smoothies are the same for your lad?
As I said on FB, maybe try giving him soup or milkshake when you have your packs, but so long as there is food he can have, don't worry.
Does he have school meals or a lunchbox? Try doing the opposite! Involve him in making a lunchbox for home or a picnic or party-style food (sandwiches etc), whatever might tempt him...but don't make a big deal of it.
You're a good mummy, and you're well on the way to being a yummy mummy.
{{hugs}}

Sharon x

OMG! How rude was that first reply over there on the family forum?

I am positive some people don't think before they post!! In fairness to that particular poster, she has apologised if she upset you Emma!!

I do hope that ur little boy is OK. I am sure that there are things that you can try like people have already mentioned like seeing if he wants soup too, getting him involved in the preparation of food stage to get him more excited to try what "he's made", that sort of thing.

Don't give up on this just yet honey. Remember that no matter what people who don't understand the diet say, what you are doing now will benefit all of your kids in the future!

B x

I'm so sorry Emma that you've had negative feedback on the other forum. Some people just can see past the end of their own nose!!!!
You keep going on LL and I'm sure your son will eat when he's hungry.
I think the idea of maybe giving him chunky soup is great and what about a cereal bar if he will eat one!
I know your worried but I'm sure this phase won't last long.

M xx

Hi,

My 5 year old and 3 year old both go through no eating/eating very little phases. It can last a good couple of weeks somtimes... Then they start eating again...

There are so many reasons I suspect that causes this, but he always snaps out of it, and I'm sure yours will too. I don't think its to do with your LL eating, otherwise all parents who didn't eat infornt of their kids (i.e. working parents!) would have kids who didn't eat! and that just isn't the case... so I really don't think being on LL is to blame.

Just my opinion... try not to worry (yes, I know - that's the easiest thing to say to a parent, but the hardest thing to do!)

I'm not really sure what to do tbh I'm just really concerned about it all because at 5 he's obviously too young to understand.

Emma xXx

Hi YummyMummy,

I just noticed this last sentence. I wonder if that is really true? I did try to explain it to my 5 year old, and we have a term for the Food Packs - we call it 'Medicine Food'. Then, he understands that like all medicines we occasionally take, they are only for one person at home, and everybody else doesn't need to take it...

Try explaining it to him in different ways - he may surprise you and understand :)

Hi FYM. Is your son at school? There's lots of healthy-eating awareness at infant schools these days helps them to understand good and bad choices. Also to understand why the bad choices can be so yummy. This can sometimes confuse their thinking about food. I'm sure your son will get back to eating normally. You know him and what can motivate him. Talk to him, continue to eat with him and involve him as much as possible, talking about what you'll enjoy eating together really soon. Will he eat soup when you have soup?

I have three young girls and was a bit scared as to how my LL diet might affect their thinking about food. My approach has been to be absolutely honest with them and involve them as much as they want to be. I stress that they are normal healthy weight and I want to be that too so we can have adventures together as they grow up. Every time one says 'Mummy can't eat that' I say that 'I can if I want to, but I choose not to at the moment'. The older ones select the foodpacks for the day and occassionally help me to prepare them. I always eat with them at the table. They have all asked to try the foodpacks and thought they were quite nice. I talk a lot about what sort of foods I'll eat when I am a normal weight and make sure it's foods they already like and are healthy.

I'm sure it is a phase and if you're relaxed about it, he'll probably come through it all the quicker. Please don't worry. xx

Sorry Emma, I feel a bit guilty because I suggested you post over there in the first place :eek: Thought you'd get lots of support from people, on other VLCDs especially, because I know wonderful people who face the same challenges on CD, Lipotrim, W8 etc.

I hope your mind has been put at rest by the positive posts you have received and I hope you don't discount the Families section totally in future because I personally know the mods over there and they are wonderful. I was surprised completely by the initial negative comments :eek:

Like most people have said, kids go through phases. My Mum took my Bro to the docs because he would only eat cereal at one point. The doc assured her, the same as many people have said, he'll eat when he's hungry.

He's probably just in Free Child - the next best thing to the Adult state we all aspire to exist in :D

Sorry to hear about the response on the other forum.
I'm on W8 and my daughter is 5, she wants to do everything like Mummy, but she has seemed to understand that I need to have special diet food to make my tummy smaller and seems to be happy with that. As someone else has said she has wanted to taste the drinks and I've let her, and also bought strawberry milkshake for her to have after breakfast at weekends - like mummy.
Although she has a good appetite, she does go through phases of not really eating, but they are just that. My son did as well, long before I'd tried any VLCD. I'm sure that your son will eat better when he feels the need, and it is definitely not your fault!!
Perhaps you could ask him to write a menu of what he would like for tea and reward him with a sticker chart?

Best of luck
:)

Back