Chilli con Carne

scobbiemum

Hiya! Chilli Con Carne is my fav all time meal. I have been making it the SW way with just adding passata, kidney beans and chilli flakes but I'm not really getting the same taste as if I popped a dry mix or can in.
Can anyone suggest a low syn chilli mix please?
Just in case it matters I'm sticking with the EE plan.:D

Hi scobbiemum,

I usually make my chilli with

onions
Extra Lean Mince
tin of tomatoes
some beef stock (approx 250ml ish)
about a tbsp tomato puree
chilli powder (to your taste)
kidney beans.

I brown the onions and the mince with the spice.

Add the stock and tomato puree and a tin of tomatoes and kidney beans then simmer until the sauce reduces. Approx for about an hour.

This should be syn free more or less - its half a syn for tomato puree.

Hope this helps

Kate xx

When I make chilli I use either extra lean or Quorn mince, onions, chopped tomatoes, kidney beans, beef stock cube, garlic, chilli powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, paprika and Italian seasoning. I brown the mince and the onions then add the chopped tomatoes and herbs then put in the kidney beans about ten minutes from the end.

I use the very lazy chilli out of the jar. It's fab, hot, but fab! Also I use tinned tomatoes not passata and add a tsp of sweetener too. I also use a beef stock cube in it but don't make stock, I just crumble the cube in.

I'd avoid the sauces and packets, they are full of rubbish anyway!!

recipes up above are all brilliant - plus isn't BEANFEAST a free food? Just add your mince and some extra spices to a packet of beanfeast bolog mix and you're good to go for a quick and healthy meal.

The Mexican chili, alas, is 3.5 syns per packet. But it makes loads so you could make it stretch if you wanted it?

I love chilli and have it almost every week. I chop a large onion and fry with 4 chopped garlic cloves in fry light until soft. Then add 1 tsp mild curry powder, 1 tsp hot chilli powder and 1/2 tsp ground ginger. Cook for 1 minute and remove from pan. Add extra lean mince and cook till brown. Then put the onion back in and add a can of tomatoes, can of chilli beans and a few shakes of tabasco sauce. Simmer for 25 mins and then season and add 2 tbsp of ketchup - 2 syns but it really adds to the flavour (and I have less than 1/4 of what I make so it's only 1/2 a syn).

How does this fit in with Easy Extra. How many syns per serving from a Chilli made in this way?

Greelyi, sometimes there are meals that just don't require the 1/3 superfree...and that is fine, occasionally.

However, if you want to chuck in some extra veg into the sauce, you can and that would count. Something like mushrooms and diced (tiny) courgette maybe? Or something else of your choice. Or another way to get some added veg is to serve he chilli with a side salad.

Looking at the above recipes, they would all be SYN free on EE

Hope that helps....

Last edited:
How does this fit in with Easy Extra. How many syns per serving from a Chilli made in this way?

As long as you bulk up with plenty of super free it should be Syn free. I buy chillipapas chilli mix, it's all your spices in a little packet which is also syn free, it tastes amazing

Thanks Lentil2 and Samantha26, I went the side salad route and really quite enjoyed the chilli.

I expect that I will spend some time searching out the hottest chilli powder I can buy in a UK supermarket over the next few days.

Regards,
Ian

Thanks Lentil2 and Samantha26, I went the side salad route and really quite enjoyed the chilli.

I expect that I will spend some time searching out the hottest chilli powder I can buy in a UK supermarket over the next few days.

Regards,
Ian

Glad to have helped!

Regarding the chilli, you could try using fresh chillis.....Scotch bonnet is hot, hot, hot!!

Back