Chilli con carne

Jodieboo

Gold Member
Hi guys.

Hopefully saving time cooking dinner.. do you think this can of chilli con carne would be ok?

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-esto...e=Products&headerVersion=v1&_requestid=205876 Minced beef with kidney beans, onions and textured wheat protein in a mild chilli sauce.

Ingredients

Water , Tomato Purée (27%) , Red Kidney Beans (24%) , Minced Beef (9.0%) , Onions , Modified Maize Starch , Red Peppers , Textured Wheat Protein (contains Roast Barley Malt Extract) , Sugar , Wheat Flour , Chilli Powder (Paprika, Chilli Powder, Chilli Spice Blend) , Salt , Jalapeno Peppers , Garlic Powder , Potato Starch , Ground Cumin , Onion Powder , Colour (Paprika Oleoresin) , Paprika Extract .

I'm just a little confused whether I could just syn the sugar in it and have the rest as free/superfree foods.

Any help appreciated, thanks x

Unlikely to be syn free - there would probably be syns in the beef (as not extra lean), maize starch, wheat protein, sugar, wheat flour, potato starch.

You'll need to post the brand and nutritional info so someone can work out the syns though

Hi guys.

Hopefully saving time cooking dinner.. do you think this can of chilli con carne would be ok?

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-esto...e=Products&headerVersion=v1&_requestid=205876 Minced beef with kidney beans, onions and textured wheat protein in a mild chilli sauce.

Ingredients

Water , Tomato Purée (27%) , Red Kidney Beans (24%) , Minced Beef (9.0%) , Onions , Modified Maize Starch , Red Peppers , Textured Wheat Protein (contains Roast Barley Malt Extract) , Sugar , Wheat Flour , Chilli Powder (Paprika, Chilli Powder, Chilli Spice Blend) , Salt , Jalapeno Peppers , Garlic Powder , Potato Starch , Ground Cumin , Onion Powder , Colour (Paprika Oleoresin) , Paprika Extract .

I'm just a little confused whether I could just syn the sugar in it and have the rest as free/superfree foods.

Any help appreciated, thanks x

If you just tell us the make and name of it we can look it up for you ;) Or just post the nutritional info and we can calculate it. You cant count it as free, no.

Is it this one?

If so it's

Smart Price Chilli Con Carne, canned, 392g can 1

That's on Green/EE. On red it's:

Smart Price Chilli Con Carne, canned, 392g can

Those foods are counted as free and considered in the syn calculation - and yes, you could count them as free for a food diary, etc.

Yeah it is the smart price one, thought the syn value was very fair so I picked up a few cans. I can understand why/how it's synned but I just wondered whether I could count the kidney beans, peppers and such as free/superfree

X

No kidney beans are NOT superfree, they are only free. The rest of the tin (tomatoes/peppers etc if they are) can count *towards* your 1/3 SF, yes, but I wouldn't think a tin contains anywhere near enough stuff to contribute much at all - you certainly need more SF than what is in a chilli con carne tin.

Back