Ready Meals and Sunflower Oil

Chloemn

Hello

Today I got myself the Beef and Veg Crunch Ready Meal. Online, it says Sunflower Oil is 6 syns- so how can the meal be Syn free?

Iceland listed the below ingredients:

Carrot and swede mash (45%), diced cooked beef (18%), water, sliced red onions (10%), onion purée, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, maize starch, beef bouillon, garlic purée, barley malt extract, black pepper, thyme. Carrot and swede mash contains: carrot (54%), swede (42%), salt, ground black pepper, ground nutmeg. Diced cooked beef contains: beef (99%), salt. Beef bouillon contains: yeast extract, potato starch, salt, flavouring, chicory extract, beef stock (beef extract, onion powder, carrot extract, tomato powder, dried lovage), sunflower oil.

Just confused now!

Thanks
Chloe :)

From the FAQs on the website

Q: Why are there ingredients listed on the packaging that aren’t Syn-free, eg sugar or starch?

A: Because of packaging legislation, when we use a Free flavouring ingredient such as soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce, we have to list all the ingredients within the flavouring – and these may include sugar. In some dishes, we’ve used tiny amounts of starch in a sauce to ensure it retains its quality throughout the manufacturing process – but because the amount is so negligible, it wouldn’t even register as ½ Syn for the whole meal.

Ah I understand now- thank you :)

The list of ingredients needs careful reading. The sunflower oil is one of the ingredients of the "diced cooked beef" component of the meal. It is last on the list, so it is the smallest ingredient of that component, which itself is only 18% of the whole meal.

So the amount of oil will be really tiny.

Back