Chilli help please ?

poppyi

Hi
im new only just started slimming world and would really appreciate if anyone can help.
i was out for lunch today and there didn't seem to be anything to choose to fit in the plan, it was all breads and oils and panninis etc!
the healthiest thing I could see was home made chilli with rice and salad.
My question is, when you look up syns for a chilli in a restaurant they are coming up at 10 to 12 syns, but on e easy, the meat, tomatoes, peppers etc would all be free so what is it that makes it high syn value? I make chilli at home for no syns and this looked no different, even if they used oil could I not count the oil as a he b?
Just getting confused! I wouldn't normally choose to go eating out when I'm still a little unfamiliar with the plan but this was with work so had to really!
thanks in advance!

poppyi said:
Hi
im new only just started slimming world and would really appreciate if anyone can help.
i was out for lunch today and there didn't seem to be anything to choose to fit in the plan, it was all breads and oils and panninis etc!
the healthiest thing I could see was home made chilli with rice and salad.
My question is, when you look up syns for a chilli in a restaurant they are coming up at 10 to 12 syns, but on e easy, the meat, tomatoes, peppers etc would all be free so what is it that makes it high syn value? I make chilli at home for no syns and this looked no different, even if they used oil could I not count the oil as a he b?
Just getting confused! I wouldn't normally choose to go eating out when I'm still a little unfamiliar with the plan but this was with work so had to really!
thanks in advance!

I'm sorry to be a pain but please could anyone help? Thanks!

Hi poppyi,

I don't know exactly what the syns would be for but I am guessing it's oil, non lean meat (mince is quite high in fat) and probably the proportions of meat/rice to veg not meeting the 1/3 veg rule.

SW do make an allowance for free foods within the calculated syns. I looked at the Chilli menu and not sure exactly what you had but a cup of their chilli is 580 cals. When you think each syn is about 20 cals that would be 29 syns so 10 -12 isn't bad!

Don't worry about it now anyway, eating out is always tricky and we just have to do the best we can. You could try and cut down your syns for the rest of the week if you need to or just accept it and move on. Good luck in your weightloss journey :)

Oh thank you for that! That makes sense now. I just counted the syns and went on from there. Thanks so much for your reply.
:)

Back