Chinese Buffet

Hi everyone :)

My Auntie has decided that instead of going to the safe place of Wetherspoons tonight, we are going for a Chinese buffet at the new restaurant that has just opened up.

I am now completely dreading this and have a feeling I'm going to end up eating loads! What's the best thing to eat on a green day in a chinese buffet? I was thinking starting with soup and then just eating noodles and rice...does that sound good? The lure of the chips will get me though - I just know it! Today I'll have eaten: Bran Flakes and Milk and my HEXB and HEXB, 2 Pieces of Bread as my 2nd HEXB with 2 LCL as a HEXA and Tomatoes and Spring Onion and 1 Banana. So really i've been pretty good...so I should just go out and eat? Ahh!

Help would be very much appreciated!

GG xx

Last edited:
Not sure that Wetherspoons is all that "safe", given the syn values that have been quoted here recently.

They have chips at a Chinese buffet? How odd - not very Chinese.

I would have a good look at what is on offer and go for things like chicken and prawns, as long as they are not in batter, some plain rice or noodles, and vegetable dishes if you want to stick to a green day.

Have a look at pages 68-69 of your SW book for some ideas on syn values (or in the directory if you have one) for Chinese food. Then you will know what definitely to avoid (7.5 syns for two pieces of sesame prawn toast!!).

But honestly, it's just one night - go out and have a good time, and get back on track straight afterwards.

You shouldn't be dreading a night out with friends and family, you should be looking forward to it - enjoy it and make sure that they do too.

HI,

When we go to the Chinese Buffet I try and do red days (sorry that's not very helpful is it?) I eat loads of the Chilli Prawns that you peel and then go round and pick out the Prawns in black bean etc with peppers and onions !!!!! and the Chicken ! I usually manage to maintain and that's with a bottle of wine too!

I know its a bit naughty as I am eating all the expensive stuff but it is soooooo nice!

**eat with chopsticks!**

that's my best advice really - slows you right down ;)

Other stuff includes:
try to resist the deep fried crunchy starters / prawn cracker and chips (soup instead)
choose boiled rice rather than egg fried
when serving yourself, aim for lots of the veggies in the dishes - most people pick out the veg so you should get lots!
lots of fresh melon and oranges for desert

oh, and *enjoy it* by all means be sensible, but don't feel deprived

Back