Chinese Takeaway portions

Mummoth

Silver Member
Total stupid question I'm sure, but unless I buy first & then weigh my Chinese takeaway, can I be sure how many syns it has? In the SW book (& online) it gives the syn values of a fair amount of Chinese takeaway stuff, but Chinese takeaway portions are HUGE! I mean, take sweet & sour chicken balls - you get about 12 huge balls, far too much for even greedy guts me. So are the syns really for one typical Chinese takeaway portion?

Basically you can't so always weigh if you can. Otherwise you could easily be doubling or tripling the syn value quoted because as you say some portion can be very big. The figures quoted are for an average portion, but what exactly that is, is anyone's guess

My hubby wants to know where your takeaway is, ours only give six or eight pieces in the sweet'n'sour chicken! LOL

Seriously though, I now tend to make my own versions of the chinese takeaway - at least then I know exactly what is in it and don't have to second guess syn values.

Meantime, a little of what you fancy now and again does no harm as long as you remember MODERATION does it!:)

If you weigh it when you get take away, when you go out you're much more likely to stick to the plan because you know what the portion is supposed to look like (if that makes sense?) - you can judge it by eye a bit better.

p.s. our Chinese also gives us 12 HUGE chicken balls! My BF can only eat 4 or 5 and I'm a vegetarian so the rest go to waste. But they are so cheap!

Back