Cholesterol lowering diet plan

elsmar30

Hi folks - had a phonecall from doctor today to say my cholesterol levels were raised (even after fasting for lipid testing) and I should look at following a diet plan aimed at lowering my cholesterol levels. I know about Benecol drinks, Flora products and avoiding fats/oils but just wondered if anyone had any examples of foods/meals that would fit in with mainly green days on my SW weight loss plan. Any advice will be gratefully recieved

Thank you all muchly :wave_cry:

Elspeth xx

You shouldn't avoid all fats and oils - you need some for general health. You should be looking at leaving out saturated fats and oils, and trans-fats. Sorry, but this means reading the small print on the labels!

And things like Benecol are definitely worth trying. Also, porridge is something which is said to lower cholesterol levels. But generally, SW is a good plan to be following as it is high in the good stuff and low in the bad stuff, so keep on with it.

But high cholesterol levels are not always something you can control with diet. Some people have perfect diets and still have high cholesterol and no-one really knows why. But at least you know now, and it will be monitored for you.

Good luck.

Thanks for the kind words about my diet and cholesterol Anna - that and high BP run in family so I really shouldn't be that surprised should I?
Anyway - I'll stick to SW and be positive - onwards and upwards eh?

cheers
Elspeth xx

Hi, i have familial hypercholesteroleamia (FH) and so does my daughter it is a genetically inherited high cholesterol condition. I have spoken to dieticians and SW is a really healthy way of life. If you follow the plan you will eat a diet low in saturated fat and high in fibre.

As already mentioned porridge is very good as oats are helpful in reducing cholesterol levels. Also i have found that a lot of dairy free foods are cholesterol free. I love chocolate and have found that i can have 200ml of Kara chocolate milk for a HE a lovely microwaved for a indulgent hot choccy drink and totally cholesterol free. I also swapped biscuits for ryvita fruit crunch.

Also there is no need to cut back on eating eggs as these do not raise your blood cholesterol levels.

Are you on any medication for it? Slimming world is a great lifestyle choice for anyone with high cholesterol and as the weight comes off your cholesterol levels will naturally improve as well.

Good luck in reducing your levels x x

Not on meds yet - hoping to avoid that if I can! Thanks for the post - that's why I love this group - there's always someone to advise and support

Thanks again
Elspeth

Back