Choosing your goal weight

lasttimelucky

Hi all,
I was just wondering how you chose your goal weight. Having been overweight/obese since about the age of 2. I have never been a healthy weight or size so have just had to pick a figure that is at the upper end of a healthy bmi although I have no idea what I would look or feel like at this weight. Also I am concerned that if I lost the weight needed to be that bmi I will end up with lots of lose skin.
Any advice gratefully received!!

I chose a bmi of 22.5 - mid range healthy. That was a good weight for me - but I would have been willing to change the goal if it was too far/not far enough.

Thank you

I believe it depends on your body type - where you store your fat the most (as we all vary in that respect), what structure your bones are and other things. If you've been overweight like me pretty much from the word 'Go' - then, expect loose skin - there's no avoiding it. At my heaviest I was 18st 7lb and when I slimmed down, I got the skin. It's NOT THE END OF THE WORLD! Loose skin (unless absolutely hanging) can be toned up by exercise. If it's excessive then surgery can help.

Assessing where you feel the best is important, take it week by week from about 11st onwards and see where you feel comfortable. I for example HATED being a size 8 (it was alien to me) and felt comfortable being size 10-12 as my body structure has very wide ribcage - I looked like a scarecrow at the lower ranges! Some people feel brilliant at 14/16. It's up to you. :) I suggest having a little padding at the end as... well, I hated the feel of bones everywhere (+painful!), it wasn't natural for me! :D

i am meant to be 9 - 10 stone which is a healthy weight for me but i feel i would be too slim then so i decided to do several goals, always do small goals because it feels better as they are within reach not seem like too far away.

I want to be a BMI of 24.9! Just into healthy range but I will be more than happy!

I think max is 10 stone for my height (5'4). I want 6 stone off before my wedding, I haven't really chosen a 'goal weight' and as it stands now, I don't plan on continuing the diet beyond my wedding.

i've chosen my goal weight (10 stone) based on my BMI ... and because it's a nice round number ;p

Because I can't remember what it's like to be that small, despite that being my goal I may feel happy a little more or even a little less (i don't think i'll know until I get there...) but the goal is definitely 10 stone :]
xo

I plumped for the first BMI box inside the healthy zone for my height, and it said 24.1, so that's what I'm aiming for which will be 12st 1lb (I'm 5'10"). I have no idea what I will look like at that weight as although I was fairly fit and athletic when I was younger I was pretty muscular as we had horses and I played rugby. Oh well of I get there we shall see!

Back