Christmas Dinner Soup :-)

Just clarifying , my Asda smart price sage stuffing 85g is 5 .5 syns per pack. I think I put 5 last week sorry. Not that half a syn will kill us ;) I forgot to buy turkey today :(

Just clarifying , my Asda smart price sage stuffing 85g is 5 .5 syns per pack. I think I put 5 last week sorry. Not that half a syn will kill us ;) I forgot to buy turkey today :(

I think thats cooked weight. My Tesco one was 85g but makes 300g when cooked and works out 20 syns per pack.

113 Kcal
Protein 3.5
Carb 22.5
Fat 1.0

Per pack. Pack weight 85 g

So I did get it wrong ? So do I have to weigh the cooked stuffing to calculate syns? I'm being so Doh! Over this :( I'm so confused at how many syns it is for a full pack cooked :( x

ermintrude said:
I think thats cooked weight. My Tesco one was 85g but makes 300g when cooked and works out 20 syns per pack.

Oh boy no wonder I didn't lose weight last week lol, stupid me. My first willy up ever! :(

Well mine is an 85g pack and says:

"One sixth of a pack (50g) contains: 65kcal
100g contain: 125 kcal"

So if 1/6th of a pack is 65kcal a whole pack is 65 x 6 = 390kcal = 19.5syns

Also it's not possible that 1/6th of a pack is "(50g)" cos then the whole pack would weigh 300g - which it doesnt, it weighs 85g, so it must be calories for cooked weight.

The Asda one might be different but I expect they're all pretty similar :(

I made mine into 20 balls so they're 1 syn each, and they were FABBO, totally lush! Like little mini-dumplings, they soak up all the juices yum yum! I had five in my soup, theyre deffo worth the syns! :)

113 Kcal
Protein 3.5
Carb 22.5
Fat 1.0

Per pack. Pack weight 85 g

So I did get it wrong ? So do I have to weigh the cooked stuffing to calculate syns? I'm being so Doh! Over this :( I'm so confused at how many syns it is for a full pack cooked :( x

How much water does it tell you to add? Just add that number to the dry weight of the pack and voila, you have the cooked weight! Then divide it by however many balls you make :)

Can't wait to make this! Bought the stuff last night going to make it Thursday I think. Thanks for the recipe :)

I have now made a chicken version of the Christmas soup..........

Pete’s Christmas Soup-2

Serves 4
Ingredients
Iceland Pre-cooked chicken chunks 300g
4 smoked bacon rashers, all fat removed
3 or 4 Sainsbury “be good to yourself” extra lean Cumberland sausage depending on how small you want the “pigs in blankets” to be (0.5 syn per sausage)
Small box of stuffing mix (optional) Sainsbury’s “Basic Stuffing”. Makes up to 24 balls (0.45 syns each) remove as many as you want and freeze the rest.
2 Ltr of Knorr chicken stock pot
Cupful of frozen peas
2 potatoes, peeled
2 medium onions
2 cloves of garlic
2 carrots
1 celery stick
1 parsnip
Dash of Worcester sauce
Dried sage

Method
Put the chicken in a saucepan, cover in chicken stock, keep the rest of the stock, and cook until the meat falls apart, remove and allow to cool, then shred the meat, set to one side.
Put the sausages into the fridge and chill, remove and slide the meat out of each skin, cut into 3 or 4 pieces, depending whether you want small or large “pigs in blankets” remove any fat from the bacon and cut diagonally to make 2 triangle pieces, roll the sausage meat from the widest end until you reach the end, return to the fridge until you want to cook. Freeze any remaining ones. Made the stuffing balls as directed on the package. Freeze any remaining ones. Cook in the oven with the sausages, for about 20 mins until cooked & browned.
Lightly fry the rough chopped onions, celery & cloves in a large soup pan. Add the stock, dried sage and peeled roughly chopped potatoes. Peel and chop the carrots & parsnip into small pieces, Leave to simmer for 25 mins until the vegetables are soft then blitz with the hand blender to make a rustic soup base. Season with Worcester Sauce, salt and pepper.
Add the chicken and peas to the soup base & simmer for 20 minutes. Plate up & place the stuffing balls & “pigs in blankets” on the top of the soup.

SkinnedSausageSmall.jpg

SmokedBaconSmall.jpg

PreparedBaconSmall.jpg

ChristmasSoup-2Small.jpg

Making this tonight :) can't wait!

Made this yesterday (with quorn pieces not chicken) then will add a tsp cranberry sauce & some stuffing pieces (4 syns)

It looks & smells beautiful so that's me sorted for next 3 days!!! :)

I did ours with chicken and cut up cooked Tesco light sausages and mixed them in it was lush! OH liked it too which is a miracle as I always end up doing him something different.

I'm just making thus again, but I messed up ,I blended the turkey this time. Well there wasn't much anyway,as I'm using up stuff. I'm sure it will taste fine. I'm not going to make the same mistake with stuffing again! I have my first Joes sausages in the freezer, I may get one out and put that on top for tomorrows tea. As the soup is for tomorrow and Saturday :)

ermintrude said:
How much water does it tell you to add? Just add that number to the dry weight of the pack and voila, you have the cooked weight! Then divide it by however many balls you make :)

I missed this sorry, I'll check next time ,I never knew that theory so Thanks x

My second attempt was lovely, but I'm full of a cold so couldn't really taste it. Not as good as the first one. I had my first Joes sausage chopped up in it x

Attachments

• image-1475094462.jpg
    image-1475094462.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 149
Oh my I made this tonight (minus stuffing balls and sausages) and have had two bowls and now want to go to bed so tomorrows lunch will come quicker!

I have literally just finished using my leftover turkey to make a bog standard turkey & veg soup- gutted I didn't read this first!! Might have to buy extra turkey on the next shop.

Back