Christmas - food mentioned!

emmapetty

Going for Goal!
Well this year, me and DHB and off to my Mum's for Christmas dinner. We originally said we would go out somewhere nice, but now we have other family members joining us - and they are getting a bit 'sniffy' over prices. So as per usual my poor Mother will be slaving over the stove. Anyway, I have suggested 'contributing' in some way, as a way of helping. So my dearest Mother has left me to dessert!!! :eek: So today I have been looking at Christmas pudding recipes (I start doing them around mid/late September to mature and enhance flavours) This year though, as there is a lot of us (around 10!) I am going to do 2 christmas puds - my usual traditional one (I make them every year as my way of contributing) and I have found a 'Very Berry' christmas pud too. I'm also doing my usual yule log to keep the chiddlers happy. Now the reason for my post, is that I am not drooling! ha! I've said to myself, right...The christmas pud can't be eaten for 3 months while it matures anyway, so there is no point in drooling atm, I can drool on Christmas day when I am going to allow myself a piece. I have said quite firmly to my Mum though, that this year I am by no means going to be indulging in all the chocolate, mince pies and everything else that comes with Christmas. I hope to be on the maintenence by then - and as always with Christmas I expect I will put on some weight, which I am ok with, but I just really don't want to go completely bonkers. My plan is to count calories for meal times and have 'healthy' things, and perhaps have a couple of treats/drinks. Is anyone else going to be up to maintaining (hopefully) by Christmas, and worrying about weight gain etc? I know it's really early to be thinking about it, but writing out these recipes has got me thinking about how best to 'behave'. I'm just fretting because my family tend to 'indulge' at Christmas, we are such a huge family and there are visitors everyday over the Christmas period, and treats galore - I'm scared about the temptations that I will be facing. Do I just have it, but a slither (small bit) or avoid it completely and have a ciggie outside instead?! ha! HELP! Hugs x x x

I am going to my Dad's for Christmas this year. I won't be at maintenance by then - I reckon I'll have about three and a half stone left to lose. At the moment I am seriously considering not having Christmas dinner at all and sticking to SS.

I know my Dad will think I am bonkers though, and might actually be offended.

I think I will have to cross that bridge when I get to it.

I should be maintaining at christmas and I think I would have a slither rather than avoid it. I think I have very good will power (gave up smoking, drinking, biting my nails and started dieting all at the same time and have not had anything I shouldn't have) so a slither means a slither. If I felt that a slither would turn into a binge then I would avoid it. If i was still ss'ing then I would ss over christmas. Being slim means more to me than having a meal that I could have when i've finished. It's not the food that makes christmas christmas, it's being around your loved ones and enjoying time together. I used to think the food was a major part of christmas, and always have a massive blowout on food and booze. It's like people use christmas as an excuse to over induldge. Sorry i've been rambling! You will know nearer the time what to do, you will proberly feel really strong and know that a slither means a slither, and if not then after your slither go outside for a ciggie! All we need to remember is moderation! x x

I should be maintaining at christmas and I think I would have a slither rather than avoid it. I think I have very good will power (gave up smoking, drinking, biting my nails and started dieting all at the same time and have not had anything I shouldn't have) so a slither means a slither. If I felt that a slither would turn into a binge then I would avoid it. If i was still ss'ing then I would ss over christmas. Being slim means more to me than having a meal that I could have when i've finished. It's not the food that makes christmas christmas, it's being around your loved ones and enjoying time together. I used to think the food was a major part of christmas, and always have a massive blowout on food and booze. It's like people use christmas as an excuse to over induldge. Sorry i've been rambling! You will know nearer the time what to do, you will proberly feel really strong and know that a slither means a slither, and if not then after your slither go outside for a ciggie! All we need to remember is moderation! x x

I completely agree - Christmas is about loved ones not food. I do have good willpower too, you sound similar to me! I know I will only indulge as an 'outburst of cravings' if I avoid the things completely - BUT if I have a slither (and I mean a slither) I know I will be happy enough to have had any at all! I think CD has made me appreciative of even a bite!! ha ha! Hugs x x x

Hiya
Hopefully I'll be maintaining by then. The way i'm going to deal with Christmas (after thinking about this for about 3 minutes!) is not to bother to buy a ton of sweets, chocolate - and my major major downfall - NUTS. If they are not in the house I can't eat them 24/7. And my god, believe you me, i do (did). My b/f always makes (made) me feel guilty, because he can just have the one chocolate... me, i need(ed) to sit there with the tin on my lap and eat until my teeth ached and I felt queasy... NOT ANYMORE. NONONONONO.

I will definitely be having a Christmas Dinner... and a mince pie, and a piece of Christmas Pud... because my philosophy is, i could be knocked over and killed by a double decker bus on Boxing Day and what a bummer that I didn't have a lovely Christmas Dinner... my last Christmas Dinner!!

You have to live and enjoy time with your family and if that means sitting around a bulging dining room table, so be it.

I hope by Christmas I'm at that stage where food isn't going to make me lose all control, and it's something to enjoy and not to stress over.

I'm actually looking forward to Christmas. Thanks Emma!! May have to start doing some Christmas shopping!! Plan ahead!!

Lynne
x

For me Christmas is a time to enjoy and that does include some food and drink.

I should be at goal and maintaining by then but I intend to eat what I like but just do so in moderation. You won't put on much weight if any, as long as you don't go mad! Most of us would have been dieting for most of the year and so it's a perfect time to let our hair down a bit!

I will also be doing extra exersize too, problly running.

Its may fave time of year and I simply can't wait to enjoy the party season being nice and slim and wearing some nice outfits. BRING IT ON! :xmascheers:

i think its wise to plan ahead. decide what you are going to do and stick to it!
so i would have the slither and then thats it, eat it slow while the others have thiers then just chat and enjoy the atmosphere

i wont be having christmas dinner as i will still be ssing and far from goal. its really just a gloryfied sunday dinner so i shall have a soup and just enjoy being with family

I will (hopefully at the rate I'm going) be at the calorie counting higher stage and maintaining a lower weight, I plan to have a nice normal Christmas dinner, just smaller in size than previous years, and if I am at target then I'll be allowing myself a 'window' of weight, both up and down that I never intend to come above/below.

Mind you it's easy to say now as I'm only on week 6, though I was quite pleased with myself at this weeks (low) loss even though I had to go up to 1200 for a week due to suspected swine flu .... so maybe I will have the will power needed.

I feel quite good already planning stuff like this, shows me that I'm aware of food issues in the past, and am already aware that they might become a problem again unless I plan, plan, plan!

I too will be maintaining by Christmas. I am just going to be 'sensible' like my slim sisters always are and not go bonkers. What I have found really interesting this time around is that when I ahve eaten in the past few weeks, I have even had carbs and have still lost or stayed the same.

My relationship with food seems to have changed/be changing and instead of thinking, OK I have given myself permission to eat and thefore stuffing my face with all the wrong things I've been sensible enjoyed it, put it behind me and moved on. No eating until I feel sick or thinking what the hell I've blown it so I will stuff my face with all the things I've been 'missing out' on!

I am hoping this bodes well for the future and maintenance and I can continue to enjoy food without letting it control me...... here's to Christmas and my holiday in Canada as a slim person :D:D:D x

Hopefully I'll be well into maintenance by Christmas day. I'm planning on having Christmas dinner as normal but just not going mental as in past years; one yorkshire pud instead of three for example. And a couple of chocs instead of half the box. That type of thing. Also, my hernia op will be will behind me and I'll be properly into getting toned up, so I'll up my exercise and hopefully burn off some excess that way. Finally, I'll just watch the calories on the days around Christmas and try and even things out.

So exercise, restraint and a sensible approach. Which is just how I should be living my 'calorie life' by then anyway.

i fully intend to be off this diet by christmas - i'll be eating fruit pastels in church that morning as per usual and looking forward to my mum's potato stuffing

yum yum

I'll hopefully be maintaining by then, seems a long way away though!! Luckily my family xmas isn't a big binge time! But i'll be careful anyway, i want to enjoy xmas dinner and will just have a little of what i fancy!! Luckily we're quite active and go on lots of walks! xxx

i've pondered this one quite a lot recently, hay, what can i say, i'm organised! lol
I have SS'ed through EVERYTHING so far, my leaving do, holiday, etc, and its never crossed my mind to come off the diet....by Xmas i will be off the CD plans i would imagine and although i wont be going mental, i WILL be having what ever i like at Christmas!

Now by "whatever i like", i dont mean a huge binge eating session, never have done that though in the past, but if i want Christmas pud, i will have it, if i want choc's i will have them....BUT....i will be exercising my at the same time so any gains will be negligable and temporary.

Personally, i dont see Christmas as a 2 week event, its 1 day out of 365....and for me, there is only so much crap that can be comsumed in 1 day....its when your still using the excuse "Christmas" on December 30th that you know there are issues that need addressing!

xxx

I'll be maintaining by then and will be having christmas dinner as normal...everything.

I can go stright back into ss no probs have already proved this year already after coming back from holiday and eating for 2 weeks

Its only one day!

Lifes too short to scrimp on a nice crimble dinner :D

I will still be SS'ing in December however I have christmas day and then my birthday only a few days later :eek: I have decided that I will SS all week however christmas day I will have a 810 meal but if I want it more veg thats allowed. No choc pud/cake/christmas pud though/chocs though. This is because on my birthday I will be going to a local pub with Mum for my birthday meal. Its tradition now and something I would never give up, even to be 'slim'. I wont go mad and I will have a salad and maybe a small amount of red meat, some cocacola and a small amount of cake, all of which I havent had since my start date. For me just getting there and completing the diet so long (and I will get there) will be my reason to have one day off :D

I SSed all the way through last Christmas and I won't be doing it this year because if I stick to it now, I will be moving up at that point yay!!! Turkey and green veg for me hehe! x

Back