Christmas in the 70s - nostalgia alert!

Maximus

Gold Member
Looking back it was an exciting time. some of the pressies, wow! a Chopper bike! - Spacehopper, clackers (still feel the pain) but boy oh boy, did anyone ever get the hang of an Etch-a-sketch? - I figure all those who mastered it are architechts now lol.

Did anyone ever play Monopoly and NOT say the words "ooh wouldn't it be great if this money was real"?

Best of all though was really looking forward every week to Top of The Pops!

Steve

Anyone else's favourite 70s memories?

Christmas Top of the Pops was a must in our house on xmas day ;)

I'm from a house of girls so it was all barbie, cindy and carebears :p

i thought Care Bears was more an 80s thing? along with My Little Pony? - I recall my own daughter being into all of that.

70s christmas music really stood the test of time - Slade Merry Xmas Everybody and Wizzard's I Wish it could be Christmas everyday were both in the same 1973 chart! - amazing.

Eeh! I'm getting old!

For me it was Christmas in the 50's.

As 5 kids Christmas in our house was a riotous affair.

Nostalgia stirs something in my soul when I remember Kunzle cakes, tangerines, cashew nuts. String puppets. Board games that all the family played. We had the first T.V. on our street and the Queens Christmas Speech was watched and listened to in awe. In those days there were more intervals than programmes.

kunzle.jpg

Because of the lack of sophistication in the 50's our Christmases were so simple, so wonderfully noncommercial.

It really was family time and ludo, snakes and ladders, Chinese checkers, monopoly etc were how we spent our day.

We always went for a walk with dad before lunch whilst mum put the finishing touches to the Turkey and all the trimmings. All the vegetables were home grown and the house smelt fabulous a real Christmas smell.

We did the tree on the 24th of December, dad up the ladder and all of us kids handing him glass ornaments to place on the branches...............

What lovely memories. Thank you for starting this thread.

Wow christmas trees being put up on 24th of December - u see some being put up in October round here!

I was growing up then, so I remember Buckaroo, Sindy, everything....I had the car, the caravan,the horse, the bicycle!!! Haha! The relatives that gave you a fiver in your card !!! You felt SO rich!! Also, having Matchsticks, yummy, Quality Street, so more-ish !! I also got Etch A Sketch, Spirograph, and a Compendium Of Board Games.....

Phew !!

P.S. Also just remembered the Wombles L.P, we loved that, eeekkk!!

Diva x ( the old bird !!!)

Oh - I always wanted 'Buckaroo' as a kid, but had sent everyone potty with 'Operation' (on my own with a nurses outfit) so it was a no-go.

Crazy putty and slinky's were always there in your xmas stocking too.

And dolls that cried and wet themselves. (Whose idea was THAT???!!!)

I've bought one of my friends some She-ra pyjamas for christmas. I know she's going to be SO excited. (She's younger than me so the 80's is her era of christmas nostalgia).

I really miss Woolworths at this time of year you know. :(

Oh yeah...Woolies at Xmas was a real treat!

Considering all I hear anyone say about it was how good it was and how much they miss it...how did it go bust?! It seems it was a real favourite :(

Blue Peter annual every year!! lol

MichelinMummy said:
Oh yeah...Woolies at Xmas was a real treat!

Considering all I hear anyone say about it was how good it was and how much they miss it...how did it go bust?! It seems it was a real favourite :(

Online retailers and supermarkets that sell everything cheaper is what did for Woolies IMO - Woolies were great when those things didn't exist but they just couldn't compete with the likes of Amazon and Play in terms of price. It never fails to amaze me that HMV are still going.

oh dear im going to show my age now i didn't have a sindy doll i had tressey (not sure if i've spelt it right) she had a button on her tummy if u pushed it in her hair would grow out of a hole at the top of her head, and my mum and dad bought me a tape recorder which i happened to find under their bed before christmas and played it they had put a message on it i had to act very surprised when i did get it lol. and we seemed to have snow every xmas when i was a child my dad made me a heavy wooden sledge we took to the hills behind my house those were the days :)

Morecambe and Wise! And having to take a present to the old man next door who had a bushy moustache (with bits in :eek:) and having to give him a Xmas kiss:yuk:

Oh yes. Definitely Morecambe and Wise.

And we always had jigsaws in our stockings. (No - not the ones we were wearing) so that kept us quiet (ish) on Christmas morning.

And always board games. Yahtzee and Boggle particularly, but different ones every year.

My mum made the best bread sauce EVER.
And we always had "hot cakes" for breakfast.
We were so sophisticated!

Aww - so glad i started this - such a nice, warm nostalgiac glow lol. AlthoughI called it in the 70s nostalgia is different for everyone lol.

Now then. I need help I remember Tippy Tumbles and Penny Puppy Walker and "Tessy the smaller, Sheena the taller" - all dollies (70s) but as I'm a bloke I just recall the adverts/jungles.

PS Spirographs. Did anyone actually become an architect after mastering these lol?

We didn't do dolls in my family either - though there's only me and my sister. So I can't help. And I don't know the adverts either - cos we never EVER had ITV in our house, only BBC.

And I loved Spirograph, but no, I didn't become an architect.
I also loved Altair pads - anyone remember those? You coloured in the shapes to make really exciting patterns!

We also had some wooden building stuff, called Connector. Does anyone else remember that?

I always wanted mousetrap but my parents wouldn't buy if for me :( I remember Girls World, you pulled her hair out and could style it and put make up on her!

We didn't do dolls in my family either - though there's only me and my sister. So I can't help. And I don't know the adverts either - cos we never EVER had ITV in our house, only BBC.

And I loved Spirograph, but no, I didn't become an architect.
I also loved Altair pads - anyone remember those? You coloured in the shapes to make really exciting patterns!

We also had some wooden building stuff, called Connector. Does anyone else remember that?

I don't recall Connector - or maybe I just don't recall the name? I, like many others had Meccano, but I was useless at it. So I never became and architect or design engineer.

Am I sounding too old if was to say most of these "toys" involved you doing or making something happen rather than a video that happens for you?

Thought so lol.:eek:

Yup, Maximus. But I'm with you all the way!

The connector was second, third or fourth hand even when we had it, so I have no idea what era it really comes from! The stone age, probably...

Back