Christmas without stuffing

Taz

Spam Hunter
Just wondering what people's thoughts are about Christmas and weight. I've been through many Christmas seasons in the many years I've battled with my weight and some have been disasterous while others haven't been so bad.

So here's what I want to know:

Do you say "It's once a year and I'm going to eat everything I see and deal with it in the new year" or "One day of celebration is not worth a huge gain"

And for those who go 'off plan' for Christmas, how long does that last and when do you go back to the plan?

Those who attempt the season without gains, what's your game plan?

An interesting discussion topic. Personally, a few months ago when I restarted my weight loss journey I was thinking that I won't overdo it at Christmas but I also won't restrict myself too much as I want to enjoy it. However, since that time, my thoughts have changed completely and not only am I going to attempt to get through it without a gain, I'm aiming for a loss. I feel that I've come so far already, undoing some of the hard work I've put into it just for the sake of a couple of minutes eating something nice just isn't worth it.

I won't be at home this Christmas so I don't have a lot of control over what we will have for dinner. However, I can't eat wheat so that's already Yorkshire puddings and stuffing off the table, and probably pigs in blankets depending on what sausages are bought. (I'm hoping my in-laws have forgotten that I can't eat wheat so they don't buy in gluten-free versions, otherwise I'll be obliged to eat it). I'm also planning on keeping alcohol consumption low as that's what usually triggers me to snack. If I don't drink, I'll find it a lot easier to resist any snacks that are passed around.

I'm also planning on going to a SW group over the Christmas break to weigh-in as this should keep me accountable. My group isn't running due to a bank holiday but I'm going to make the effort to go to a different group. I'm just trying to see Christmas as just another day where we happen to have a roast dinner. I wouldn't usually stuff myself with chocolate and crisps on any other day so why Christmas Day? I know I can enjoy the day just as well without all that food and drink, it's the company that makes Christmas special for me, not the calories :)

I'm loving your approach to this. I went nuts the first Christmas and gained 8lb. It really wasn't worth it and zapped my motivation in the new year. Since then I've been more careful

Very interesting post indeed Taz.. Seeing as how I have gained quite a bit just recently over the last few weeks it doesn't seem worth bothering too much although I think I will try to limit my intake of the goodies while I'm away.
I shall make a concerted effort to get back to my dieting after all the festivities have been over and gone as I am very determined to get the rest of this weight off before I get to my next birthday which is in August.
Hopefully I will have had this sleep apnea seen to before then which should help with my overall feeling of being more positive.

Reactions: Taz
Back