Coke Zero

Officially no it wont be, same as on LT but it wont knock you out of ketosis

How strange, i was just gonna start a topic on this myself. From what I have gathered, coke zero will not take you out of ketosis because it contains no citric acid, but i think diet coke does. Although I had a can 2 days ago and it didnt knock me out of ketosis. I think the whole point is, that lighterlife is about abstaining from food and about respecting boundries because thats where a mojority of us have failed in the past. Although i deffo wouldnt recommend drinking coke zero. We all have those moments where we need something a bit diff, especially me. I only have the choc shakes and i gag with them lol. Im having a coke zero as i type this ......... naughty naughty lol. So i think having coke zero as a back up is better than having something foodwise that will start you on a nasty path. Im not gonna start drinking it everyday though. I do want to do this properly x

Hi clairepbear,

Thank you for the reply i must admit i have had two cans tonight i have not had any for at least a month, i have had a bad two weeks not losing a lot of weight i was having two of the bars a day on lighter life total but i think its to many carbs so going down to one for breakfast and see what my weight loss will be next week.

Yeah ur only meant to have 1 bar a day. I dont even have that lol. i dont like any of them. So I just have 1 cranberry bar on a sunday during my meeting because i dont have anything before my weigh in. But i still think its pretty rank. wish i wasnt so fussy. Yeah if ur gonna drink anything then stick to coke zero, but at least have ur water intake before u do x

Your not allowed anything on LLT apart from packs, water, black teas or coffee hence why it's called abstinence. If you can't abstain completely from the things which let you spiral out of control in the first place, what's the point in doing total abstinence, or kidding on to be doing it.?!

I agree with Jen I am afraid. the whole point of LL is about reeducating yourself about what is good for your body and eating within a set plan.

Diet drinks are not a healthy substitute for water and it is thought that the artificial sweeteners can lead to actual cravings for sweet things.

Come-on ladies - you are paying to lose weight (a substantial amount of money, by the way) don't jeopardise that by doing something which is off-plan and then complaining that you aren't losing weight as quick as you would like.

I don't want to be harsh, but part of the problem many of us have regarding the way we eat is based around the crooked thinking that a little won't hurt. In fact a little does hurt - not just our bodies but our minds. We beat ourselves up when we don't lose weight and fail to make the connection between the "little bit" and our perceived failure. Knowing you have stuck to LL 100% allows to step away from all of that guilt and look at the facts. it is either you haven't drunk enough water or the bars might be causing an issue. you won't then have to factor in that diet drink you had or the nibble of this or that.

Stick to the rules and it will work. Keep it simple and see results.

Sorry to be the big bad wolf!

Totally agree x

I think i see everyone's point, but i guess in the end it's up to the individual and what works best for them. I'm not sure if the arguement that 'artificial sweeteners can lead to actual cravings for sweet things' would hold though, as all the bars, milkshake mixes and water flavourings countain articifical sweeteners, but i guess again it's individual personality and what you feel comfortable and able to manage=)xxx

Yeah its deffo down to the individual. I see everyones point to. I have had fantastic weight losses, 15lbs in 15days. And I understand that the whole point is to abstain, and I did say that in my earlier post. People shouldnt beat them selves up so much. The way i see it, is that having a can of coke zero once in a blue moon, which isnt going to bring you out of ketosis, is better than eating something naughty that will. I use it as a savouir for my weak moments. And I really dont feel guilty about it. x

if you're doing LLT you're not supposed to have coke zero, even if it doesn't affect your weight loss. The programme deals with your psychological dependence on drinks and food in order to help you maintain your weight once you reach your goal. Having done LLT three times and twice put weight back on, I cannnot empahsise enough the importance of sticking to the programme. As soon as you start having the odd 'treat', even if it is coke zero, you've come off the programme and the chances of you putting all the weight back on again...and more, increases significantly.
Just don't do it. You don't need it. And if you do, you need to address the reason why you think you can allow yourself to have it before you get to your goal weight, because otherwise you're not going to change your eating habits. And unless you change your eating habits for life, including your reliance on fizzy drinks, you will put your weight back on so you might as well just save your money and not bother doing the diet in the first place

I am sorry if I came across as harsh in my earlier post - and I suppose that it is up to the individual. But for me at least - LL is about changing my habits and becoming a healthier and happier person.

Fizzy drinks (diet or not) are unhealthy. They perpetuate the notion of "being on a diet", they suppress hunger and cloud our understanding of our hunger signals. They are full of chemicals, colourings etc. They are shoved down the throats of our children by huge advertising campaigns. And they are addictive due to the caffiene content.

I had to realise that I wouldn't allow my young children to drink fizzy drinks because I care desperately for heir health. yet I drank them myself. I was a hypocrite and had no appreciation of the importance of my own health. Cutting them out is probably one of the best parts of doing LL.

When I reintroduce food again, I want it to be healthy, whole, natural and clean. I don't want chemicals in my body, I want to avoid artificial colours and sweeteners. (yes i know LL has sweeteners, but the diet is a means to an end).

This is what LL has done for me. It has stripped me of all of my old bad habits and if I was to allow even one of those bad habits to sneak back in I may as well not have bothered.

Look at everyones diff opinions. Lighterlife means diff things to diff people. Its about your own individual journey. If at those moments i feel weak, i can have a coke zero and not fall off the wagon im gonna do it. To say im never gonna drink fizzy drinks again would be a total lie. My problem was with food and not drink. Im strong enough to allow myself just 1 can a week on a friday night and not have anything else, I have ALOT of weight to loose and well maybe its my rebellious child and i should fight against it, but i really hate every single foodpack, i only have the chocolate and i really dont like them either. I know very well how the diet works, i actually worked for lighterlife for 2 years as an admin assistant, I went to their head office for training and learnt everything i needed to know. Im actually just about to be employed by them again. Which is why I said i dont recommend it. You pay alot for this diet and should stick to it 100% however, for me, myself and only I, i have the odd coke zero when i want one, what ya gonna do ? lol its not affecting any of you and its not harming my weightloss journey. I started on the 3rd Jan and in 16 days I have lost 17lbs. The other people in my group have sugar in their tea and all sorts so i wont be made to feel bad about it x

Claire - please don't feel like anyone is ganging up on you. that really isn't the intention. To be honest - everyone is on their own journey and you get through it how you can. I am pleased that you have found something which works for you.

we all have own path to go and I wouldn't want to make you feel bad about how you approach the diet. I am truly sorry if my comments offended you at all.

Thats ok, it did a bit to be honest, lets just forget about it yeah ? I joined this site to find people in the same situation as me. Maybe I shouldnt of mentioned that i drank it, because i really dont want anyone falling off the wagon. The truth is, having anything thats not allowed is wrong because your not following the programme 100%. I dont actually buy the coke zero, my mum brings me round a few cans every now and then (because she knows it wont knock me out of ketosis)and i dont wanna hurt her feelings, so i put them in the kitchen cupboard, most of the time i say to myself "your not gonna have that" but im a chef and surrounded by the food that I am cooking all day long. After working a long shift having just 2 shakes during the 5 min breaks i get, picking the kids up and getting them sorted for bed, i sit there with my stir fry and glass of water and am good 99% of the time, then on my naughty friday i have a coke zero. it could be a lot worse couldnt it ? Im on LLL by the way x

Of course it could be much worse! I admire someone like you who works around food all day. it must be really tricky.

One of the things we discussed in our meeting last week was this idea of "having a treat". Lots of us said how we always used food as our way of treating ourselves. The counsellor suggested that maybe using food as a treat was a dangerous thing to do.

I am in two minds about this. Sometimes it is good to have something to look forward to (like your Friday night drink), but also it would be nice to have other things to look forward to which were a bit more exciting. lets face it a night in front of the telly with rubbish food is always going to make us feel crappy eventually.

I still see food as a treat and even now look forward to eating out with my husband or enjoying a birthday cake once this is all over. But I am trying to put it into perspective and realise that food isn't actually anything special. it is the occasions which I look forward to and the food just comes along with that.

You have already done brilliantly and seem to have found a system which works for you. Good luck with it all!

Back