Coke Zero

Ah didn't realise you were on lite! That makes a difference to me making my point ;) god don't know how you stick to this being a chef! I'd be inhaling half the food AS I was making it lol x

it is tricky, but as soon as i got into ketosis i wasnt hungry so it wasnt so bad. I literally just have meat n veg for my dinner, and have it in a small bowl to try and finally get my head around portion control. The worse thing is, that I still have to try everything i make, but i just have to spit it back out again lol. Although i really hate doing it x

Nobody is trying to gang up on you at all. We've all had experiences with LL and lord knows I've been trying to keep the weight off since 2008 when I lost 172lbs. And when I did it I stuck to it completely for the whole time. If I had a weak moment, I cried about it, got angry or dealt with whatever other emotion I thought a fizzy drink or a piee of cake was going to help solve.
The point is that you ARE falling off the waggon if you drink coke zero. It's not part of the programme for a reason.
I really don't want to be the person to say 'i told you so' when you come back here in two years saying you lost loads of weight in 2012 but have piled it all back on again (which happens alot)
LL is trying to help you deal with serious underlying psycholigical issues....yes, that's what being obese is. It's an addiction. And we all need help to stop killing ourselves with food...or fizzy drinks.
Hopefully during your sessions you will deal with the reasons you feel it is ok to drink coke zero on LL. And you'll come to learn to ive without it too. And long term that's a good thing.
It's early days for you but please belive me as the voice of experience when it comes to LL that the people who stick to the rules are the ones who reach their goal, and keep the weight off. The people who 'adapt' the programme to suit their odd craving for a fizzy drink or a packet of nuts at the pub are the ones who either never reach goal, or go straight back to old eating habits as soon as they reach goal.
I may sound harsh but these are the kind of very honest conversations you should be having in group. And if people are having sugar in their tea in your group, that's not your problem, it's theirs. 'Getting away with it' will come back you to bite you on the bum long term.
We're here to support you through your journey but if your inner child (which you will learn about) doens't want to listen and wants to rebel then you need to address that in your own time.
All the best with the rest of your LL journey but please, when you're ready...step away from the coke zero!

Im not in the early stages at all. And am also a voice of experience. I did LLT 6 years ago and lost 9 and a half stone in 6 months, I stuck to it 100%. The only reason I put alot of weight back on is because i fell pregnant 1 week after abstinance, and then had my 2nd immediatly after my 1st. I know exactly how the diet works having worked for Lighterlife for 2 years. You added in a few extras there, like having nuts or any other food which i am not. And just because I have 1 can of coke zero once a week on a friday night with my meal. It certainly does not mean I will gain ANY of the weight I loose. I understand this diet better than most. So know that will not be the case. I will continue to drink coke zero afterwards aswell. Because it is calorie free. And i like it, so shoot me ? lol. As I said before, every single persons journey is individual, and I have found something thats works for me and keeps me from eating anything that will bring me out of ketosis. Im 23 years old, and when i go to a friends on a friday night and they are all getting sloshed im quite happy with my coke zero. Im fine with it, im not telling anyone else to drink it, infact I have advised against anyone else drinking it. Because I know its the old "one wont hurt" thing and one usually leads to another etc. I went to lighterlife head office for training and know anything and everything about LL scientific wise and other. So I know i'll be ok. But thanks ever so much for your concern. Im going to stop justifying myself now x

Fair enough, you know what you're doing. I'm the voice of experience too but you're entitled to your own opinions about how you want the LL programme to work for you. And if you feel that not sticking to the programme works for you then that's fine.
Having met seven LLCs over the past five years, all of whom are still overweight, knowing about the programme and actually dealing with the psychological reasons your eating is out of control yourself are very different things.
In all sincerity I wish you all the best with your weight loss journey.

What I mean is, I learnt from working alongside a lighterlife councellor, who has won many awards and is absolutely my saviour, not just my colleague but a dear friend, and from learning the scentific explantions behind LL and ketosis, that having the odd coke zero will not harm you. Your just not supposed to do it because you need to learn to respect boundaries. And I have done that with food, which you are implying i havent, what works for one, will not work for the other. Im not eating a single thing I shouldnt be. So i dont consider myself to be "not sticking to the programme"

So why does LL say you can't have it on the programme?

Because whilst you are on the LLT programme you are meant to abstain. From everything, obvs other than the drinks they tell you, to learn to respect boundaries. Which is why i will say again that I dont reccommend it because one could lead to another etc. If you look at other diets similar to LL, they allow coke zero. I think its pretty much the only drink that wont bring you out of ketosis because it contains no citric acid x

Coo, I thought Harry Hill had snuck on here for a moment there Mr G! Lol!

THe simple truth is, Diet COke, COke Zero, etc., AND Diet drink promotes weight gain!!! GOOGLE effects of Diet Coke or something and you will see that it actually causes you to put weight on - it increases cravings, ruins your bones, it is toxic stuff.

I was ADDICTED to it big tie - loved it - but did LL in 2008 and have not had a drop since then. It is what it does to you health and nody that puts me off it.

Too each their own, but you cannot say you have done LL 100% faitfully if you drink it. ;) IT is cheating. :)

Hi everyone,
I am going to be weighed tonight so after having one can of coke zero everyday in the last week i will keep you posted and let you know if i have had the weight loss.

jaqui.x

Good luck Jacqui!

Good luck! I haven't started yet, but I am a huge diet coke drinker and it is the main thing I am worrying about giving up! I have been cutting down over the last 2 weeks in preparation for my first meeting tonight (I will start tomorrow) and do intend to quit it completely while on the programme.

I must get around to posting an intro thread but I don't seem to have the option yet

THe simple truth is, Diet COke, COke Zero, etc., AND Diet drink promotes weight gain!!! GOOGLE effects of Diet Coke or something and you will see that it actually causes you to put weight on - it increases cravings, ruins your bones, it is toxic stuff.

I was ADDICTED to it big tie - loved it - but did LL in 2008 and have not had a drop since then. It is what it does to you health and nody that puts me off it.

Too each their own, but you cannot say you have done LL 100% faitfully if you drink it. ;) IT is cheating. :)

Sing it sister!! Not affecting your weight loss is not the point. It's the fact you can't go without it that is the long term problem that will result in weight gain again in the future unless you address the issue while you have the golden opportunity to do so.

I used to drink gallons of diet coke but can't stand it now. It makes me physically ill which proves just how bad it is for you. Look at the ingredients. It's gross. A nice cool glass of sparking water is so much more satisfying. And no, I never thought I'd find myself saying that either!

Hi everyone,
I am going to be weighed tonight so after having one can of coke zero everyday in the last week i will keep you posted and let you know if i have had the weight loss.

jaqui.x

'getting away with it' defeats the whole purpose of LL. You might as well do exante and skip the groups if you're not going to stick to the plan that is designed to help you keep the weight off. Getting to goal is the easiest part of the diet. The hard bit is fundamentally changing who you are and your eating habits in order to maintain your weight. LL isn't a magic cure. Changing your eating (and drinking) habits is the magic cure. And there are plenty of people on here who can speak from experience that it is most definitely the toughest part of the diet!

Well just been weighed and i have lost 6lbs this week so i guess coke zero does not make any difference pleased about that.
Jaqui x

Well done on your weight loss Jaqui but I can't emphasise strongly enough how important it is NOT to drink fizzy drinks while you're doing LL. It is about addressing psychological issues and dependencies. Otherwise you will just pile the weight back on again. I've been there. I've done LL again and I've finally changed my eating habits forver. And diet fizzy drinks don't ever feature apart from the odd slimline tonic with a gin once in a blue moon.
Please, just try and have this week without your coke. You don't need it. LL isn't about reaching your goal. It's about staying there

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for your post i must admit it really bloats me unlike before i have deffo changed the way i feel about diet drinks where as before i could easily drink 2-3 a day i know i could not do that now.
I do think it is really important to stay for the meetings as well it all starts to make sense.

Jaqui.x

Sorry if it sounds like I'm ranting, I just feel really strongly about it and have learned the hard way about not following the LL plan to the letter. Just see if you can go a day without coke zero. It will help you so much in the long run

Back