combining w8 & low carb

tan1

Hi everyone i am currently into my second week of the w8 vlcd, have found it hard at times and lost 6 lbs in my first week. But iam going away skiing at the end of the week and don't think (or even want to) cope with shakes and soups on holiday.

I am thinking of trying to combine the w8 with other low carb foods and if i still loose weight i may swap over to low carb completely .

One thing which is a bit of a problem is i don't eat meat but i do eat fish. Any advice on how to go about it would be much appreciated.

Also i have seen lots of products on the low carb online stores such as pasta, tortilla wraps and sweets, has anyone used these, are they ok to use. I am a bit clueless to the whole carb thing but when reading labels what should i look for, how many carbs per 100g are acceptable.
many thanks x

Its the net carb figure you want to focus on and its the Carb count minus any fibre :)

You could have some lovely meals with fish and veggies too, some of us even have kippers for breakfast :) My fave fish meal is grilled Sea Bass with buttered leeks and cabbage. x

Hi tan and welcome, I'd steer clear of the s/f and l/c products for the first few weeks and yes fish is fine on Atkins.

You might want to have a look at Rose Elliot's book The Vegetarian Low Carb Diet. Unlike other veggie lc plans, she manages to give recipes etc that can keep the carbs down to 20g in the first phase. Added to that the fact that you eat fish and you'll have plenty of variety.

Hiya, just reading through old posts.

You only subtract the fibre in america/ on american made products. Food labels in the UK do not count this as part of the total carbs, so you just need the total carb figure on the packet.

I swapped from w8 yo atkins pretty easily, still use the spag bol packs as low carb easy lunches every now and again.

xx

Rainbow Cookie is spot on. Some people can subtract the polyols (sugar alcohols) from the total carbs as they pass through the body undigested. Other people find the polyols cause them to stall.

Thanks for the rose elliot info that sounds great. But i am still a bit confused about carb amounts etc!

I other question How about the low carb products that you can by like dreamfields pasta and the sugar free sweets does anyone have them or are they a bad idea? thanks x

Anything which is sweet, but claiming to be low carb or sugar free will have been sweetened by artificial sweeteners rather than sugar. These act like fibre in two ways.. they are not absorbed by your body, and too much of them gives you the ****s.
Some people find that sweeteners slow down their weight loss, some get on fine with them. The best way to find out is to give them a try, but be warned, you should have no more than 15-20g of these polyols (sweetners, sugar alcohols) or you will know about it. Atkins bars have 10-15, thorntons diabetic bars 22, boots diabetic toffees 6 each sweet.

As for the pasta/ bread etc, most of it tastes fairly vile.
The idea of not having bread, pasta, rice is worse than the reality, try having a go cutting them out completely, then only have these products as a last resort if you really cant do without them.

xx

Anything which is sweet, but claiming to be low carb or sugar free will have been sweetened by artificial sweeteners rather than sugar. These act like fibre in two ways.. they are not absorbed by your body, and too much of them gives you the ****s.
Some people find that sweeteners slow down their weight loss, some get on fine with them. The best way to find out is to give them a try, but be warned, you should have no more than 15-20g of these polyols (sweetners, sugar alcohols) or you will know about it. Atkins bars have 10-15, thorntons diabetic bars 22, boots diabetic toffees 6 each sweet.

As for the pasta/ bread etc, most of it tastes fairly vile.
The idea of not having bread, pasta, rice is worse than the reality, try having a go cutting them out completely, then only have these products as a last resort if you really cant do without them.

xx

Thanks for all that very usefull! Perhaps the polyols are just what i need! i have always struggled in that department!!!

Also just wanted to say i bought some dreamfields pasta as i was going on holiday and relaxing things a little bit and it is amazing tastes just like normal pasta! def reccommend it!x

Back