Come dine with me

Browneyesblue81

Hi all I'm not too sure where I should be placing this thread! Basically myself and hubby are doing come dine with me with 3 other couples and I'm lookin fir some help on menu ideas! It would be easier to take a night off from d plan but as iv just started back into it I really don't want to do this! Now all d ladies on the group are doin sw aswell so I no they wud be all for this idea but I'm not actually goin to tell them I'm cookin d sw way! Our partners all refuse to eat any of our sw creations so I'm hopin to fool them into eaten it and then revealing that it's all sw!! Only problem is that we have to do a starter, main and dessert and the main has to be chicken dish! No cheese peanuts r garlic can be used as 3 in the group have allergies so ANY advice wud be extremely appreciated!! Thanks xx

omg, I am addicted to come dine with me, when will the show you are doing be on tv?, I will look out for it.....xx

chicken wrapped in parma ham with a cheese filling usually goes down well.

Also for a twist I tweak a Jamie Ovliver recipe where you gently fry cooked new potatoes in garlic and rosemary, they're so yummy.

Soup is a good starter, you can put cream in the mens if you like.

For dessert what about a pavlova/meringue dish?

Good luck!

Sorry all not on tv no way cud I do that!!! D whole no garlic, no cheese has me stuck on ideas ESP with it bein a chicken dish as I'd always put either of them in chicken!!

How about a crab salad to start. Fresh picked crab, spring onions, chopped gherkins and mix with a light mayo dressing. For the dressing mix 1T light mayo (2 syns) with 3T plain low fat yogurt (I love Rachel's, 1.5 syns per 500ml pot!) serve on a bed of rocket leaves and SW sunblushed tomatoes. You can dress the green leaves with balsamic vinegar and a touch of EVOO.

For main you can have grilled chicken breasts stuffed with mushrooms and onions, wrapped in parma ham. Serve with rosemary roasted jersey potatoes some balsamic roasted tomatoes on the vine. A side salad could be good here as well.

And for dessert you can go for something light and summery like fresh strawberries steeped in sugar and fresh chopped mint and you can put a tub of whipped cream and a tub of light Greek yogurt on the table and everyone can help themselves. That's what I did when we had friends over for lunch!

You could make a spicey tomato soup to start (there's an extra easy & cheap recipe in this section, think its superspeed tomato soup??)

Main - I would do a stuffed chicken, or maybe even a curry???

For desert I would make the hartly's jelly & yogurt pudding, make it in mould that you can slip it out from & display nicely on the plate with some fresh berries & even some home-made ice cream maybe???

Oh u's r makin my mouth water just readin the suggestions! :0) thanks I must definitely try them out and see how I get on I'm not the best cook in d world so fingers crossed

Sio said:
chicken wrapped in parma ham with a cheese filling usually goes down well.

Also for a twist I tweak a Jamie Ovliver recipe where you gently fry cooked new potatoes in garlic and rosemary, they're so yummy.

Soup is a good starter, you can put cream in the mens if you like.

For dessert what about a pavlova/meringue dish?

Good luck!

The op said she couldn't use garlic or cheese! :)

How about a jambalaya......

Pete’s Spicier Creole Jambalaya-2

Serves 4 – 2 syns per serving

Ingredients

1x 175g chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
2 tablespoons Cajun spice
1x medium onion, chopped
2x garlic cloves, crushed
½ tspTurmeric
1x fresh red chilli, deseeded and chopped finely
1x yellow and red pepper, deseeded and chopped
500ml chicken or vegetable stock
4x Sainsbury’s Spicy & Succulent mini Chorizos=80g 2 Syn each.
1x 400g can chopped tomatoes
200g long grain rice
Parsley, chopped roughly
Bay leaf
* Tabasco, if you like it hotter!
lemon wedges

Method

Mix the Cajun with a small amount of water to make a paste, place the chicken breast in a small bowl and toss it to cover it with the sauce.

Spray a large frying pan with low fat cooking spray. Add the chicken and stir fry for 4 minutes.

Wash rice under cold water several times until the water runs clear, put to one side.
Stir in the onion, garlic, chilli and peppers and fry for another 4 minutes until they are slightly browned and softened.

Add the stock, chorizo, tomatoes, rice and the bay leaf, then bring it all to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes until the rice is cooked and has absorbed all the liquid. Drizzle with the lemon juice

* Add Tabasco, if you want it hotter

Serve with a salad.

For starters.......................

Pete’s Salmon & Watercress

Serves 2
Ingredients
1 pack of salmon slices
1 bag of watercress
2 eggs
Tub of dried dill

Method

Wipe and dry the salmon, place on a piece of cooking foil, drizzle lemon juice on the salmon, sprinkle with dill and place cut slices of lemon on the salmon. Wrap the salmon with the foil, sealing the sides to maintain the juices, fold over leaving space along the top for the salmon to swell while cooking.

Per-heat an oven to 170C (fan oven) (180C (standard oven) and cook on the middle shelf for 20 mins.

Share out a bag of watercress between two plates and cook the egg as you like it, fried or poached.

Remove the salmon and place on the watercress, add the egg and serve with a salad bowl.

Enjoy!

Pudding..............

Pete’s Strawberry & Grape layered Jelly

Serves 4
Ingredients
Hartley’s sugar free blackcurrant jelly 10Cal per portion
Strawberries
Grapes

Method

Cut grapes in half and cover the base of glass dishes.
Sprinkle the packets contents into 285mL/.5Pt of boiling water, stir, then add
285mL/.5Pt of cold water
Pour into the dishes & float the cut strawberries to cover the top, put into a fridge until set.

Attachments

• Spicier Jambalaya-2 (Large).JPG
    Spicier Jambalaya-2 (Large).JPG
    224.8 KB · Views: 122
  • Salmon & Watercress (Large).JPG
    Salmon & Watercress (Large).JPG
    196.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Pud-1 (Large).JPG
    Pud-1 (Large).JPG
    226.7 KB · Views: 142
bilsat said:
How about a jambalaya......

Pete’s Spicier Creole Jambalaya-2

Serves 4 – 2 syns per serving

Ingredients

1x 175g chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
2 tablespoons Cajun spice
1x medium onion, chopped
2x garlic cloves, crushed
½ tspTurmeric
1x fresh red chilli, deseeded and chopped finely
1x yellow and red pepper, deseeded and chopped
500ml chicken or vegetable stock
4x Sainsbury’s Spicy & Succulent mini Chorizos=80g 2 Syn each.
1x 400g can chopped tomatoes
200g long grain rice
Parsley, chopped roughly
Bay leaf
* Tabasco, if you like it hotter!
lemon wedges

Method

Mix the Cajun with a small amount of water to make a paste, place the chicken breast in a small bowl and toss it to cover it with the sauce.

Spray a large frying pan with low fat cooking spray. Add the chicken and stir fry for 4 minutes.

Wash rice under cold water several times until the water runs clear, put to one side.
Stir in the onion, garlic, chilli and peppers and fry for another 4 minutes until they are slightly browned and softened.

Add the stock, chorizo, tomatoes, rice and the bay leaf, then bring it all to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes until the rice is cooked and has absorbed all the liquid. Drizzle with the lemon juice

* Add Tabasco, if you want it hotter

Serve with a salad.

For starters.......................

Pete’s Salmon & Watercress

Serves 2
Ingredients
1 pack of salmon slices
1 bag of watercress
2 eggs
Tub of dried dill

Method

Wipe and dry the salmon, place on a piece of cooking foil, drizzle lemon juice on the salmon, sprinkle with dill and place cut slices of lemon on the salmon. Wrap the salmon with the foil, sealing the sides to maintain the juices, fold over leaving space along the top for the salmon to swell while cooking.

Per-heat an oven to 170C (fan oven) (180C (standard oven) and cook on the middle shelf for 20 mins.

Share out a bag of watercress between two plates and cook the egg as you like it, fried or poached.

Remove the salmon and place on the watercress, add the egg and serve with a salad bowl.

Enjoy!

Pudding..............

Pete’s Strawberry & Grape layered Jelly

Serves 4
Ingredients
Hartley’s sugar free blackcurrant jelly 10Cal per portion
Strawberries
Grapes

Method

Cut grapes in half and cover the base of glass dishes.
Sprinkle the packets contents into 285mL/.5Pt of boiling water, stir, then add
285mL/.5Pt of cold water
Pour into the dishes & float the cut strawberries to cover the top, put into a fridge until set.

That sounds lush, but again the OP said they can't use garlic! :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Just leave it out!

i was thinking of writing to C4 and asking if they had plans to do a SW episode! How cool would that be?!

They should use 1 vegetarian, 1 overweight vegetarian, 1 meat eater and 1 overweight meat eater all SW members each of a different ethnic origin! that would create a good programme.........

bilsat said:
They should use 1 vegetarian, 1 overweight vegetarian, 1 meat eater and 1 overweight meat eater all SW members each of a different ethnic origin! that would create a good programme.........

That would make for an interesting show, but would also probably be very hard to accommodate everyone's food! :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back