Commuting by Rail - where do you get ticket/pass??

Blonde Logic

Yes. You can.
I have never used the rail system here, and will be using it to commute now.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction on how and where to find cheap fares? Can I buy a months pass? Or something like that? Do I do that at my little local station, or online?? Whats the cheapest way?

CLueless!!!

:)

Thank you.

x

Taking the train in the UK is educational! I bet you never knew there was 'right' type of snow and 'wrong' type of snow. Same with leaves!

Of course, the 'wrong' type of snow and leaves are the ones that bring the UK rail system to a grinding halt. The 'right' ones, don't.

Apart from that rather useful tidbit of information, I can offer you no other practical advice as I use my car to go everywhere - sorry!

:-D

Hi BL - congrats on your new job!

Yes you can buy weekly, monthly and annual train passes. You'll find monthly are cheaper than 4 x weekly. You just go to the station to buy such passes.

For season tickets/passes you usually need a photocard too, so you'll need 2 photos too (double check first when asking about your pass at station but that's usually the case).

So I suggest a trip to your station first and take it from there. It's no cheaper to buy on the internet for passes.

Have fun on another UK experience!

With your new job being off peak travel times would it work out cheaper buying them daily I don't know but worth looking at all options

Just been into all this

Just put TRAINS into Google. You'll get all the info. and price comparison.
Weekly, monthly, annual, all available from any train station. You will need passport size photos. 1 or 2 not sure. I did mine yesterday in the machine at Tesco/M&S Holmbush £4 for 4 pics.
M used to do it so gave me some tips.
Do it weekly rather than monthly, although it costs a little more it gives more flexibility for sick,holiday,flexi etc.
Could be cheaper if it's off-peak times, don't know, but you may well get the chance of overtime there if you want it.
You can use your ticket as much as you like, evenngs and week-ends too.
Don't buy it on a monday morning, there's always a Q.
you can buy them during the week-end B4.
:7600: Nearest thing to a train we've got here!
Could you go on your bike and put it in their car park?:character00201:

Welcome to the joy of commuting!!

You can all sorts of season tickets, the longer the period the cheaper it works out on a daily basis but obviously can be alot to pay out in one lump. It would be worth speaking to your employer as most will offer season ticket loans whereby they buy the ticket and take it out of your salary on a monthly basis.

Gxx

Back