complete newbie please help

kelster

Hi Everyone,
Firstly i just want to say how amazing the amount of weight you are all losing i am so jealous and desperate to lose weight, i am 29yrs with a bmi of 47, i have been considering either this diet or lighter life, and advice to which is better or even the difference? i have tried ww and sw before but i have little self control and eventually go back to my old ways,i have also considered surgery because i can't seem to help myself and felt that way i wouldn't have a option. The amount of weight i have to lose is so high ( about 121lbs ) that i feel like i am fighting a losing battle, i take it everyone has felt like this before? I am defo going to get in touch with someone about trying this diet but really worried that i will be starving all the time and then i won't be able to control myself, i also hate milk shakes and milk so god knows how i will manage, any advice would be most welcomed. Kelly xxxx

Hey Kelly....
Welcome hon.... you have come to the right place..
We are all in the same situtation most of us started here overweight thats why we are here, some are on there journey.. some are nearly at goal and some are maintaining but yes we are all here for the same reasons and here to support each other.
CD is a fantastic diet if you stick with it.. I would be lying if I said to you its easy but once you get through the first few days it gets easier and once you see the weight coming off you feel really good and want it more and more..
If you decide to do cd.... go on the cambridge diet website and go to find a councellor and you can find one in your area..
I cant help you with the difference betwen this and lighterlife as I have never done it but I am sure someone else will be able to..
Good luck hon and if you need anything just shout x

Hi Kelly, as curlywurly says its a great diet, if you stick to it 100% you will see really good losses

I know what you mean about milkshakes, i was in the same boat as you, didnt like them, but now i can honestly say i really like them, i never thought id get though the first week, but here i am 12 weeks on, good luck to you.

Having done both i know a few of the differences.

Cost: LL starts at £66pw when you are in abstinence. Generally the shakes are more expensive than CD but you undergo group CBT. As you go through the route to maintenance then it gets cheaper as you reduce your number of packs. CD is definitely cheaper though by about 25%'ish from recollection.

Variety: You have far more variety with CD with flavours. There are no tetras on LL, no mix-a-mousse etc. Its simply shakes, soups and bars (from week 2 and they are gross). I have not tried the CD bars yet.

Counsellor: In LL it is group sessions (closed though so new groups are started and you stay with those people until you complete abstinence), with CD you do not have counselling as such but your CDC is there as a support for you and you go on your own.

The plans after solesource/abstinence are similar but have certain minor differences.

On LL you MUST have a medical check up and have your doc fill out a medical form before you are allowed to start. You must also have monthly checks on your medication and blood pressure.

On CD if you are on medication then you must see your doctor first.

Thats all i can think of at the mo.

HTH

Lemma

Hi Kelster,
I felt exactly the same as you. I'm 29 and have around 120lb to lose. It's really daunting to think of the next few weeks/months without food but is a hell of a lot easier once you start. The only differences I know between CD and LL are the ones Lemma stated (I've heard the LL shakes are vile!)
As for being hungry, I'm on day 3 and have just had my 1st soup of the day as I really didn't want it til now (drank loads of water this morning mind!)

If you need friends to support you through it, you've come to the right place x x x

ive just started CD and it is hard,but people have told me it gets easyier after a few weeks,so just give it a go there's nothing to lose

Echo what others have said about the ease of the diet. Additionally I detest milkshakes (including ones made from icecream, which I also detest), but I cannot get enough of the chocolate tetras!

At my heaviest I weighed almost 17 stone. I started this diet at 16 stone. I'd tried SW and calorie counting with loads of exercise but nothing really worked. I was desperate when I discovered CD.
Originally I set my goal weight at 10 stone-the 6 stone I had to lose seemed totally daunting. Within 2 weeks I had revised my goal to 9 stone as I could see that it would actually be possible. There's no denying it's hard at first. At the end of my first week I was in tears when I couldn't stand having to cook food for the family any more, but after a couple of weeks when I could have the bars it's just got easier. I'm now at the start of my 7th week and have lost just under 24lb and about 18 inches in total. I have a long way to go still but I know that I will manage it. When you next look at everyone's great losses-that could be you soon!

Kelster, you have definitely come to the right place. We're all at various stages as was mentioned in a previous post, and it's reassuring to know there is a wealth of advice and encouragement to draw on within this forum.
I've done the CD once before, albeit 20 yrs ago, but i know it does work when it's followed correctly, as daunting as it might seem when you're about to start. I'm on day 9, and haven't felt hungry since days 2-3, and that was mainly psychological due to the last of my store of carbs being depleted. I'm on the SS+, which is 3 shakes per day and for tea, a chicken breast with a few grams of the recommended veg, and even then, i sometimes struggle to finish it, which is unheard of, until you learn about ketosis and why it works so well, and completely banishes the hunger pangs you feel when you're taking in a lot of carbs.
I'm the same as you as regards milk, i can't stand it! making these with water is fine tho (banana is def my favourite) and there is such a lot of variety as regards flavours.
I wish you all the best if you take the plunge, and you've definitely got the support of everyone on here :)

Hello hun

Same here at my heaviest i am embarrassed to say i was 18st 2. I lost a stone on ww but took me almost a yr!

I then had my daughter a year ago now and decided in February 09 to get rid of this weight.

I started CD on 16th Feb weighing at 17st 3. I am hoping to hit the 13's end of the 1st week of May and i have lost almost 3 stone in 10 weeks on CD.

I too did lots of research on CD and LL but as others have said CD is cheaper, much more variety of flavours plus the mix-a-mousse and apparently CD is better tasting than LL.

I cannot lie and say it is easy but it has worked so well for me and i cant recommend it enough as long as your commited to loosing weight.

I cant wait for the summer now rather than dreading it.

Good luck with whichever you decide.

honestly it's the best thing you'll ever do i umed and arhed about doing cd for quite a while now i kick myself that i didn't start it sooner, this site has been i god send too and the people of lovely we're all here for the same reason, you may find you like the shakes you make with water better than the tetra drinks, personally i have them both. all you can do is give it a go. but decide what best for you! good luck!

Back