compulsive overeating

And KD, I will take action, not just read and think about it, I promise.

pleased to hear it :clap: And you just have to keep working at it. One mishap doesn't mean you've failed, or it's not working.

When I worked on each technique, I didn't expect to be perfect at it, I expected imperfection and made sure I was satisfied with that :)

Sounds bizarre doesn't it, but it worked for me.

Just aimed to get the various techniques right, more often than wrong...to swing the balance and it all became easier.

Scary stuff,

Yep, but I remember feeling some relief too. That light at the end of the tunnel.

KD you are very wise. (And very patient!!!) This thread has made much clearer some of the stuff we were exploring on the 'emotional eating' thread. I think there is a part of me that wants this to be the end of it, as if facing what I am doing should be enough, but I know this is just the start. Like you, i want to do this myself, without 'professional' help. I guess I want to prove I am strong enough. But I also wish I could just buy a book and that would sort it... not that easy, though!
What you've said about not expecting perfection really helps... I can be very all-or-nothing. And I realize I may seem to fight against your advice/experience at times but you have changed the way I see this and given me alot of hope. And I do NOT want to fall into a well of self-pity, I want to change my patterns and put the past behind me where it belongs...
Light at the end of the tunnel... that's it exactly.
xxx

KD you are very wise. (And very patient!!!)

That's very sweet. Thankyou. I was a bit concerned about how I might be coming across on the emotional eating thread.

Just wanted people to be sure they think things through. Didn't want anyone to think I was trying to dismiss what they had found out about themselves.

Who am I to know anyway. Can only relate from personal experience.

Just keep exploring. Keep reading. Find what you can, and don't necessarily stick with one book. find the right way for you.

I used many of the techniques from the Gillian Riley book, but before I read the book :D I also used other things that I had found elsewhere...on the net, talking to others.
By putting them together (discarding stuff I knew I couldn't do!) I had my own 'cure'...made to measure especially for me :D

That's what I'd like too... a solution has to make sense to you, be right for you, or it won't work, I know. I feel very positive at the moment and three books, including the Gillian Riley one, are on their way to me by post right now... so looking forward to seeing what I can find out from them. For the record, on EE thread you come across as the voice of reason, just that I don't always want to hear reason! But it does sink in eventually, and I am very grateful for it, and I know others will be too. I've never known anyone who beat something like this before... I'm pretty much in awe. Great too that you will still take the time to give feedback, advice and experience to those of us just working out where we are & why we are with the whole binge eating thing. THANK YOU!!!!
xxxx

For the record, on EE thread you come across as the voice of reason, just that I don't always want to hear reason!

LOL. I know that feeling :D

I've never known anyone who beat something like this before.
No, I hadn't either LOL. Attempting to sort it was on blind faith, but things were very different for me this time compared to other abysmal attempts.:eek:

I can't say for certain that I am 100% 'cured'. Don't suppose I'll ever know that, because it can suddenly jump up on you, but I'm pretty confident.

For one thing, I'm so practiced at the techniques, it would be really hard now to go 'wrong' for long.

For instance. Once upon a time, if a binge started, I just couldn't stop it. Or should I say I didn't have the technique.

Once I started working on it, I could only stop it sometimes as each time it was throwing up new stuff that I didn't recognise. So I could do it if some connections matched, but not others. So I worked on the others too, finding the right answer for each one.

Now I know so much about what makes me tick when it comes to overeating/binging, and the answer....including what to do when I don't want to do it :D

If I went into a binge now, I would have difficulty continuing it, because the techniques are automatic. I'd have to force myself, and not just for that one binge, but for every item of that binge as each item would be a conscious choice.

Does that makes sense?

.. I'm pretty much in awe. Great too that you will still take the time to give feedback, advice and experience to those of us just working out where we are & why we are with the whole binge eating thing. THANK YOU!!!!
xxxx
Thankyou so much. You don't know how much I appreciate the appreciation. Not sure that makes sense either, but it's getting late and I need a coffee :D

LOL. I know that feeling :D

No, I hadn't either LOL. Attempting to sort it was on blind faith, but things were very different for me this time compared to other abysmal attempts.:eek:

I can't say for certain that I am 100% 'cured'. Don't suppose I'll ever know that, because it can suddenly jump up on you, but I'm pretty confident.

For one thing, I'm so practiced at the techniques, it would be really hard now to go 'wrong' for long.

For instance. Once upon a time, if a binge started, I just couldn't stop it. Or should I say I didn't have the technique.

Once I started working on it, I could only stop it sometimes as each time it was throwing up new stuff that I didn't recognise. So I could do it if some connections matched, but not others. So I worked on the others too, finding the right answer for each one.

Now I know so much about what makes me tick when it comes to overeating/binging, and the answer....including what to do when I don't want to do it :D

If I went into a binge now, I would have difficulty continuing it, because the techniques are automatic. I'd have to force myself, and not just for that one binge, but for every item of that binge as each item would be a conscious choice.

Does that makes sense?

Thankyou so much. You don't know how much I appreciate the appreciation. Not sure that makes sense either, but it's getting late and I need a coffee :D

Thank you for the insight about making a concious choice about every item of a binge!..bit of a lightbulb moment there for me I think ;):D

Thank you for the insight about making a concious choice about every item of a binge!..bit of a lightbulb moment there for me I think ;):D

Good good :clap:

Hi all,

My suggestions:

1) like someone said - ask yourself why you want to eat;

2) Boreness leads to weight gain - find something to do. Get busy!! This one works like a miracle! I was so fat when studying, and as I found a job, got a family and a house, it started to get better :)

3) If your still hungry, get something healthier, not the sandwiches or sume junk food - get an omelett, some fish or meat, some light soup or some steamed veggies.

4) If you think healthy food is not delicious (that`s what I was thinking when I was fat :D) - you better learn to prepare it good :p that`s my personal experience :)

Good luck!
Jesse

Back