Confession of a scales addict...

I thought it was just me that was hooked!!! Since getting back on SW I've made a promise to myself that I won't and will just do once a week. It's hard! But it's also helping as it's keeping me more motivated somehow as I know that every single day counts towards weekly target and I look forward to seeing how well I've done. Sounds the wrong way round but somehow it's working so far. I think doing it daily I just started getting slack and figuring I stayed the same even though I'd been off plan and just plateaud. X

I seem to be weighing every other day, although this morning i weighed myself and i was so pleased to be another couple of pounds down then this evening a few pounds back up again so i had my self convinced i was even lighter due to weighing on an empty stomach and its WI day for me at group tommorrow. i have lost at least a couple of pounds but i do think i might feel dissapointed tommorrow, i dont know why, i just have to stick with it... although i really do miss some of the food i use to eat, but then it made me fat, so i must remember what it feels like when my weight upsets me and imagine how great i will feel when im at target!!!

You're not alone

I've weighed myself everyday for years and don't see a problem with it.

I'm lucky I don't seem to get fluctuations (apart from alcohol dehydration!), if I'm good I lose, if I'm bad I put on. I like to know where I'm at and I know my body so well because of it.

It's only a problem if what you see really depresses you I guess.

x

this is the first time I have not weighed myself at home or on SW style scales at work, Tomorrow is my official first weigh in, eeek !! The reason I stopped was the fact that I would not eat as much if they showed a gain and even if it was only momentarily, I felt sad for those couple of minutes. I also read some interesting research looking at how long it takes the body to register a gain after eating more than your body required. It all depends on what you have been eating, hormone levels and base metabolic rate. No two people are the same but they did say on average it may take a week before that 3500 calories extra converts to a pound. So for people who are just starting out, your weight loss may be really tiny the first week whilst waiting for catch up the following week.
It has been hard not weighing but I feel free of not having those up and down emotions twice a day xx

every single day.
maybe even twice.
but i just do it to get a rough guess of where i am, i don't really pay attention until i hit those scales in class. although my house mate in uni did it every single morning religiously, and would come and moan at me when she'd mysteriously put 3lbs on overnight and then she didn't want to go to class. i suppose that's just control freak to the upper level as much as i love her :)

think it would be interesting to see what happened one week where i don't weigh myself every day...

Very interesting to read all your responses! Seems we fall into two distinct groups - those of us who do it but don't mind and are quite happy with it...and those who do it and wish we could stop!

With me I don't mind - like today I am 1lb up from yesterday. I know it's just a fluctuation, a reflection of what I ate and drank yesterday (well, at least that box of Ferrero Rocher is gone now!) and things will be on the move again later in the week. In fact, I'm even more determined to have a healthy day today with lots of water and speed foods.
I do think it's interesting to see which foods cause me to bloat/retain water/have a general reaction in my body. A lot of people think they react to carbs that way, but for me it doesn't seem to be that way...thank goodness!

Goodness...at least I am not as bad as when I did Atkins at uni (ooh about 13 years ago!) and I used to weigh myself 3 times a day!! 3 Times! And I used to chart the weights and see the patterns and stuff. Now that was obsessive.

Last edited:
I weigh myself on my scales before I go to class (for comparison) and maybe a couple of times throughout the week.

I like to leave a 2 day gap between, so i weigh on Wednesday, Saturday & Monday. I get too obsessed when I do it daily, and not obsessed enough if I don't weigh at all, lol. Fine art it is!!!

Oh I have to weigh myself daily when I'm trying to lose weight. Its the only thing that keeps me going. Fluctuations don't bother me.

I haven't joined a group yet and I'm not sure I want to. You should try weighing yourself before and after going to the loo. Makes some difference! See, I've never liked the idea of some stranger telling me what weight I am in the evening with all my clothes on, when I know if I weighed first thing after going to the loo I'd be lighter. Plus my weight balloons before my period and I know this myself.

When I was 21 (11 years ago, sigh) I weighed myself every day, despite not being overweight. I was a size 10-12. By weighing myself every day I could see the effect that a bad day was having on me and without even trying I started to lose weight, until I was suddenly size 8. I ate what I wanted, but just kept portions sensible.

I don't want to be size 8 again really (not that I would say no), but wish I could get back to that way of thinking.

Absolutely, every morning after I have had a wee!!
This does help me though as I know I am losing the weight and it gives me confidence, also keeps me on track until official weigh in on a Monday. Have lost 3 stone already before going back to SW last week so I know it works!
Julie x

Yep and me - only from about Sunday onwards (WI is Wednesday evening) every morning after I've been to the loo and stripped off to go in shower and before my brew and brekky lol
And then I have a quick sneaky weigh just before I go to class lol

Throw them out then...:)

Back