Confused Newbie

tartanpaws

Hiya,

I joined slimming world last week, going for weigh in tomorrow! I've found it OK so far but I'm a little confused.. In the food optimising book it mentions cakes that are 5-5.5 syns per slice, but whenever I check individual ingredients in recipes they seem to come out much higher! Where can I find the recipes for the cakes that are 5 syns a slice?

Thanks in advance!

Does this help? Recipe's usually need adapting to be that low.

1/2 syn cake recipe, which is this:
1. Whisk 4 egg whites in a bowl until they reach soft peak stage
2. In another bowl, whisk together 4 egg yolks, 4tbspn sweetener, half tub a quark, 1 tsp baking powder (1/2 syn), 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. Then whisk in half the egg whites.
3. Fold in the remaining egg whites with a metal spoon
4. Tip the mixture into a sandwich tin, lined with baking parchment (2 if you want to make a double cake with filling, or on a tray if you're doing swiss roll style)
5. Bake in oven (180c) until well risen and brown (approx. 20mins). It will sink when you first take it out, dont worry.
6. To make topping/filling- mix other half of quark tub with 1 tbspn of sweetener, as well as vanilla/fromaige frais/orange zest if you'd like.
7. Spread that or use as filling, as required and add fruits of your choice in filling/as topping.

9 syns for whole cake;
6 eggs
2 ounce's self raising flour
8/9 tablespoons granulated sweetener
2 teaspoons vanilla flavouring
Whisk up egg whites until stiff
Then in a separtae bowl beat egg yolks with almond flavouring & sweetener, add a 1/4 of the egg white & beat until pale yellow.
Add the flour gradually & fold into the mix carefully, when done add the rest of the egg whites & fold in.
then pour mixture into your tin & bake in the over on 180/gas 4 for about 10 to 12 mins, or until golden & firm to the touch.
To make chocolate cake replace some of the flour with coco powder

Yeah that helps thank you! Just wondered where they got those syn values from seeing as I can't find anything that fits that!

What's it like with the quark? Nice?

I don't know - haven't tried it - just found from searching. I don't like quark on it's own, but mixed with vanilla/orange should be ok!

Another here;
http://www.**********.com/content/almost-syn-free-cake-0 (replae asterisks with ********** - don't know why it doesn't work!) or google low syn cake

Generally it looks like most ingredients are free except baking powder/flour (and of course sugar & butter in 'normal' baking)

C xx

Back