Extra Easy Confused!

holiday-dieter

Silver Member
I joined group last night, so got the 'proper' info on Extra Easy and it looks like I'd been doing it wrong... The consultant said every meal has to be 1/3 super free, so does that mean I can't have beans on toast for lunch?

Also, if I made a bolognaise with veg in (toms, mushrooms, peppers, onion, celery etc) would that count as super free, or do I have to serve salad with it? I don't think I could eat salad with it...

Sorry if this sounds silly, just after some advice from someone experienced! Also, if I struggle to eat fruit/veg would I be better doing red/green days? :confused::confused: Thanks

Hi! I have Jacket Potato with beans for lunch and have a salad with it to count as the superfree part. However sometimes I have a portion of fruit afterwards, so I might have jacket potato and beans and then a few grapes!

I would think the veg in your bolognaise is counted as the superfree part but I think you'd need to make sure there was loads of beg in it.

I hope this makes sense! Keep up the good work....

Kate x

I joined group last night, so got the 'proper' info on Extra Easy and it looks like I'd been doing it wrong... The consultant said every meal has to be 1/3 super free, so does that mean I can't have beans on toast for lunch?

Also, if I made a bolognaise with veg in (toms, mushrooms, peppers, onion, celery etc) would that count as super free, or do I have to serve salad with it? I don't think I could eat salad with it...

Sorry if this sounds silly, just after some advice from someone experienced! Also, if I struggle to eat fruit/veg would I be better doing red/green days? :confused::confused: Thanks

If you struggle with fruit and veg then yes i'd say switch to Red/Green because the 1/3 isn't a rule on those plans just a recommendation.

In response to above. You can't just have beans on toast for lunch on EE you have to have 1/3 SuperFree with it, e.g. tomatoes or mushrooms.
But for the Bolgnaise, if the veg in the sauce equals 1/3 of the ingredients on your plate then thats fine you don't need to have a salad with it.

xx

Poster above beat me to it, but I would say that if you have your SF not on your plate instead of on your plate you eat it before the main meal. E.g. the grapes before the beans on toast as the SF rule is there to limit your intake of Free foods - so there really is no point eating it after the meal unless you specifically take a third of the food on your plate away in preparation for the fruit afterwards. If that makes sense...

xx

I struggle with EE (although most seem to cope quite well) because of the 1HEXB and I like my 2 HEXBs - I like to get some toast and cereal in!!
Plus as the members mention above the 1/3 plate superfree is key to the plan and I just cant stick to it
So for those reasons I stick to red mostly with the occasional green.
May I suggest you try a red day and try a green day this week and see what suits you best... we are all different ;)

Thanks guys makes more sense now! I've planned green and red days this week, all meals look yummy and I'm not worrying about 1/3 superfree, although I will try and add veg/fruit. I only really like salad! Katy x

Yes you should aim to have a 1/3 superfree at every meal, unless you are super good with portion control.

Unlike the previous green and original plans, extra easy allows us to mix both proteins and carbs together. While on extra easy these are free foods, they are the higher in calorie ones, so if you start piling your plate with just those foods, you will possibly end up consuming far more than your body physically needs in a day, which may result in no weight loss.

However if you put a 1/3 superfree on your plate first, you have less room to put the other free foods, which naturally controls your portions, without the need to weigh and count calories.

Many say have a bowl of fruit after your meal, for your superfree, and while you can have the bowl of fruit after, it isnt really a 1/3 superfree with your meal, as it wont limit the other free foods you had before. So with that in mind, if you are having a meal where you really dont think you can include the superfree, then have a salad, bowl of superfree soup or fruit BEFORE your meal and then wait a few mins before having the meal you intend, to give the superfree a chance to digest. You can then see if you really do need that huge plate of pasta. You may discover you only want half the portion you intended.

For things like bolognese and chilli everything that is added that is superfree is included.

Hope that makes sense :)

Last edited:
I think this is where I have been going wrong. When I realised why 1/3 had to be super free and not just for health, it really makes sense.
Thankfully I do not have a problem eating fruit and veg. But I do find it hard on ocassions to have a 1/3 superfree on every plate full.
i.e the example the original poster mentioned- beans on toast. But needs must and it is a very small price to pay to be able to eat so well and get results on the scales at WI.

Good thread.....thanks for asking, and for all the advice from the others, makes more sense to me now too!

For beans on toast you could add stuff to the beans. I think it was Shrimpy on here who has'exciting' beans where she adds veg to them. Much nicer than having a very out of place side salad imo!

Often i will have beans on toast for brekkie - in which casei have a bowl of fruit before hand.

For beans on toast you could add stuff to the beans. I think it was Shrimpy on here who has'exciting' beans where she adds veg to them. Much nicer than having a very out of place side salad imo!

Often i will have beans on toast for brekkie - in which casei have a bowl of fruit before hand.

For beans on toast, where I would previously have had a full 400g tin of beans and 2 big slices of toast, Id now have a small 200g tin of beans, mixed with mushrooms or something on top of some smaller 400g slices of toast.

Its easy once you get going :)

If I was going to have beans on toast, instead of having a mullerlight afterwards, I'd go for a fruit salad or something instead - we were discussing this in group, and I'm fairly sure it still counts!

Or, like Ermintrude suggested, add some mushrooms/onions etc to it to make it EE friendly and even tastier. Trust me, baked beans with chopped onion, mushrooms and 2 x babybel as a healthy A mixed in is gorgeous on toast or on a baked potato if you're like me and don't like using all your HE's in one hit :)

I eat my "side salad" while I am preparing the rest of the meal, if it isn't one which is going to have vegetables with it anyway. I eat tomatoes and cucumber and lettuce while I am cooking, or waiting.

Back