Congratulations everyone born in the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s.

westhills

I STILL mean it!
Thought I'd share this with you....
Congratulations to all the kids who were born in the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's......
First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.
They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a tin, and didn't get tested for diabetes.
Then, after that trauma, our bay cots were covered with bright-coloured lead based paints.
We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention the risks we took hitch-hiking.
As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.
Riding in the back of a van - loose -was always great fun.
We drank water from the garden hose-pipe NOT from a bottle.
We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO-ONE actually died from this.
We ate cakes, white bread and real butter abd drank pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight ( well maybe we were!) because....
We were always outside playing!!
We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.
NO ONE WAS ABLE TO REACH US ALL DAY. AND WE WERE O.K.
We would spend hours building our go-karts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.
We did not have Playstations, Nintendos or X-boxes. No video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no text messaging, no personal computers, no internet or internet chat rooms -----we had friends and we went outside and found them!
We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accisents.
We played with worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.
Made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not poke out any eyes.
We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell - or just yelled for them.
Local teams had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!
The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law.
These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever.
The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom. failure, success and responsibility - and we laerned how to deal with it all.
Congratulations if you were one of these children.

Makes you think doesn't it????

Ann xxx

Certainly think we were happier and more contented kids .... and had great imaginations as not force fed ideas from computers or tv's ............

God now I sound like my nan and mum rolled into one!!

I don't think there were as many paedophiles then!

Some of the health & safety things these days are mad... did you hear they're trying to ban the sack race from school sports days as it's dangerous?!

I love this! It reminds me of how daft we can be about molly-coddling our children. I'm always worried that social services will be round my house if I get the kids to make their own sandwiches!

Interesting that there was that news report yesterday saying that British kids are the unhappiest in Europe (or something) - makes you wonder if the apparent lack of parental boundaries plus the apparent paradox of us wrapping the kids in cotton wool is just not a good thing for our offspring!

Re the paedophile thing - I reckon there were just as many nutters around when I was young, it's just that sexual abuse wasn't reported as much - it was something that was swept under the carpet! But of course, the internet has a lot to answer for in allowing these evil lunatics to communicate with each other.

Having said that, there's no way that I would allow my children to play on the streets as IF something appalling did happen, I could never forgive myself in such a judgemental society. Does that make sense?

xxxx

Gosh Ann, it certainly does make you think and wonder where it's all heading with our kids.

We weren't allowed to play on the street either as we're on a main road but we always were at friends houses or they were at ours...

I think the main problem these days is lack of discipline and respect. If children are taught what constitutes naughty, what the boundaries are, that adults should be respected and that no means no then there shouldn't be a problem. We were smacked when we were little, but we were always told not do something, why not and then warned that we would get a smack if we did it again. It was always our choice if we then chose to do it. We also got sat in the empty hall with nothing to do, or had treats cancelled or taken away. This doesn't seem to happen these days. Also my mother never stopped a tantrum by giving in... a tantrum in our house usually meant that not only would you not get what you were asking for you might also lose a planned treat or day out because of your bad behaviour... now that teaches you more than they ever learn now.

Since bad behaviour is often rewarded these days and "Mummy and Daddy aren't allowed to smack me" rules now there is no respect for hard work, saving, parents, teachers, the elderly and others and we are bringing up a generation of truly selfish, obnoxious bunch of kids with some exceptions.

Blame the Labour Government with their equality drive, the lack of corporal punishment, the lack of a parents right to bring their children up the way they want, the fact that if everyone wins no-one has any reason to go out & work hard for a living as you can get handed it on a plate for nothing. Self-improvement is not rewarded, getting ahead is impossible as if you win, someone else loses and that can't be allowed to happen.

Strong opinions held. My parents disciplined me but I was taught to know right from wrong, that they did what they did because they love me and want me to be the best person I can. I respect them and I respect others. That's not going to be the case with future generations in this careless society in which we now live unless something changes drastically.

Oh gosh that was a rant! Sorry folks!

Isobel - you do the best for your kids, you teach them right from wrong and care about them. This is not you that is the problem.

The ones that depend on benefits for generations, have 15 kids, let their 11 yr olds smoke & drink etc., the feral kids are the problem.

I agree with you, Anja re the lack of parental discipline and the feral kids.

Bringing up kids is such hard work - mine regularly wear me down and it takes an effort to remain consistent and to teach them citizenship - I guess some parents just can't be bothered.

It's as if they don't realise that having children is not just something you do, it's a lifelong responsibility and an enduring struggle to produce well-balanced adults who are an asset to society.

I can't believe the number of children who have no grounding in basic manners. At the dining table especially!!

I believe that little things like using a knife and fork properly, and remaining seated until everyone's finished - even just eating together as a family - seem to be viewed as old-fashioned!

But if kids can't eat in a civilised manner in a restaurant, what are they like in a playground?

My mum never smacked me - I was too scared of the "look" she would give me if I stepped out of line! Bet she wanted to a few times, but it just wasn't necessary as I respected her authority. I didn't like it, but hey, you're not supposed to when you're a kid!

I try, try, try to raise my children so that they will be at home in the company of royalty (you never know!) as well as their peers - but it is exhausting!! lol

Back