considering giving up group, please help

hi all, first time posting here, iv been a sw group member since july 2014 i got my 2 st award before Christmas, i put on 8lb after was ok with that moved on and lost 4.5lb the following week, i had a positive attitude and aimed to lose that 8lb by end of jan so i would be back just 7lb away from target.

i missed group the following week i went into hospital and had 3 wisdom teeth removed under general anaesthetic. i reacted pretty badly and suffered with dizziness, headaches, and awful pain, horrible mouth taste. i developed dry socket and lock jaw and surgeon cracked my front tooth.

iv struggled to eat properly since and what i have eaten has been soft foods and easily digestible, nice tasting all the things i really shouldn't eat on sw iv fallen totally off plan 2 weeks post surgery im seeing little improvement. only good side is ive successfully give up smoking but that's also led to appetite increase too.

it making me so miserable generally id love to be able to snack on apples, salad healthy things that have to be chewed but i cant chew anything i cant even open my mouth far enough to bite anything :( top it all off my uncle died fairly suddenly last week too so as well as health personal issues are affecting me too and im a emotional eater.

generally not sure my hearts in this right now but i don't want to sabotage all my hard work. ive a holiday booked for august that i so want to be at target for and im still looking in the mirror thinking iv got a way to go. im just struggling at the moment and i really don't know if i should quit for a bit see how i get on or continue to go and continue paying even though i cant follow plan totally

sorry to rattle on just don't feel i can discuss with group leader just yet

any advice appreciated thank you

Hi iwillbslim

So sorry for your loss...seems like you are going through hell and back at the moment!

I can only tell you what i would do and hope it'll help you make the right decision for yourself!

It seems like sw at group worked well for you up until recently. I would carry on going...just speak to your leader, tell him/her that you are struggling at the moment and need time to work through it...danger is, once you stop going you won't go back!

Really wish i could help you more xx

Take it slowly, maybe just go for weigh in, rather than staying for the entire group meeting, explain to your consultant about what you have told us and just do your best. You have done fantastic so far but life can be so unpredictable that these things do happen, don't beat yourself up about it, take your time to heal.

After the birth of my daughter last year I found it really hard staying on plan and most weeks I'd gain or lose a small amount only to gain it again next week, but I kept going to group and when I felt ready I got straight back on plan. If I'd of stopped going don't think I'd of gone back and would of put a lot more weight on.

Sorry for your loss and everything you are going through at the moment.
You have done so well to this point i would echo what the others have said and keep going either just to WI to keep yourself on track, or stay to group to listen and get tips etc but you can always explain the situation privately to your consultant and ask to be missed out in Image Therapy, we have a couple of members in our group who do this, are happy to get weighed and stay to take part in Image therapy but asked to be skipped on their turn as they dont feel ready to discuss their circumstances yet. It has to be what works for you and your con will understand this!
You have done so well, keep going and maybe aim to maintain at the moment and then when you are in a better place personally you can look to start on the plan properly again rather than undoing all your hard work!
Good luck x

Keep going, i've had 6 months of struggling with sw due to lots of stuff in my life (moving house, family deaths etc) but i kept going to group whether i gained or lost, things have now settled down and im back on it, but i know if i'd stopped going to group i would have given up altogether

Hello I am sorry for all those things you are going through.
I agree with all the above responses u had a really difficult time if it emotionally in 2013 but didn't stop going to group that meant I lost a few pounds that year but most importantly didn't put it all back on. Therefore I didn't feel like I was wasting my money as it got me through that year

Have a word explain to your consultant and she: or he can take that into account when they are speaking to you.
Good luck in the rest of your journey

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

I'm really sorry for your loss, clearly you've had a pretty crap time of it.

All I can say is only you know what you want, and we can't tell you what to do, but I would advise you to keep going to group. Definitely have a little chat with your consultant and she/he can help you with plans and emotional support too. My mum stopped going to group during my dad's cancer treatment and has now said that going back to group now has helped her so I hope it can help you.

thanks everyone for your advice and kind words very much appreciated.
taking on board all of your advice im going to brave group today though not my usual on ive decided i would sooner go tonight to one where nobody knows me (i have friends at my usual group who have probably done well this week and i know i will just feel worse that i have not as it will be nothing short of a miracle if i even maintain) it is however the same consultant and i have messaged her to explain im struggling but not gone into detail as yet though she is aware of things that have happened recently.
i have asked to speak to her alone though as yet shes not replied, she can be a little unsupportive at times and sometimes it feels shes just there for the money. she has a little 'click' group shes got all the time in the world for but other members not so much x

Just wanted to let you know i am thinking of you and hope yesterday went well...i hope your consultant was as supportive as she should have been and you feel more positive now xx

Hi. Sorry for your loss and struggling but a few food ideas could be things like curry loaf which is quite squidgy, scrambled egg, omelette, tomatoey pasta - really overcook it so it's squidgy, jacket potato in microwave with beans. I know how you feel in the past I've had wisdom teeth out under general anaesthetic both sides so struggled to eat and my jaw broken so pretty much liquid. You could make some soup. I'm also a comfort eater but you don't want to undo your hard work and the massive achievement you've already made. Good luck whatever you decide

well i made group last night consultant had not got my message before i got there so, i weighed in 1.5 on not so bad i guess then she asked if everything ok to which i replied no not really waited around for a bit, she was distracted so i told her i would catch her next week she insisted i talk to her and was really nice actually. i explained to her how much im struggling and how i was on verge of quitting, i did get a little upset which i felt a bit silly for after (though im quite emotional at the moment) think it was mostly because she said she knows how much this means to me and she doesnt want me to leave and undo all my hard work. she reminded me how well i have done so far and then hugged me, she was just so nice and understanding.
shes going to ignore me in image therapy till im feeling ready to be included again and obviously if i gain or maintain it will go more unnoticed by her because she knows my reasons.
peachy - thankyou for suggestions, thats pretty much what im eating most days at the moment

thanks again for replies xx

I would buy the SW Little Book of Soups if they still sell it and make up loads of soups. I would also do smoothies for breakfast with greek yogurt in to make it filling and syn the fruit- think 1 banana works out at 4 syns. Keep up, you can do this! good luck xxxxxxxx

So glad you went, iwillbslim. I really feel for you. You've definitely had a tough time of it, all round. Surely now, the only way is up. I'm really glad you plucked up the courage to speak to the consultant and, as a result, found out what a nice person she actually is. Hopefully, she gave you extra ideas of things you can eat while you are healing. Don't forget, even when you've come through the other side of this awful time, we'll still all be here so, don't be a stranger, even when it's only a natter or a laugh you're after.

Take care and all the best.

Kathy xx

hi again :) thanks all again for the messages things are improving ive been able to eat normal things for the last week:), funeral still not happened not until first week of march RC availability. I'm not yet back on track 100% just feel like im not getting into it like i should be i gained a further 3lb last week!! :cry:(absolutely mortified) 4.5 altogether.
Not sure what's going on really im a danger to myself i cant help but munch things i really shouldn't yet i keep telling myself every week this is the week i claw things back, i do try and i just keep sabotaging myself.
I'm really am trying to stay focussed this week though with half term could be a challenge in itself. Eldest DD whos 5 is coming out in chickenpox so swimming, play centres and everything else we had planned has gone right out the window traded for staying in until they start to clear then no doubt 2yr DD will also get them.

Back