Considering leaving group and going it alone.

adalove

Hi everyone,

I've been on SW for almost 3 months now and I've been really happy with the results- I've lost over 2 stone and still managed to have a life! Now that I've got the hang of the diet I'm finding the class to be really tedious; the same people sharing the same stories every week and nothing new in the way of tips and recipes. The consultant is ok but seems to really have her favourites and hasn't sent me one message of support/ info etc in the whole time I've been going. I just feel that now that I'm familiar with the plan I'm getting absolutely nothing for my £5 a week. I'm back at uni doing a Masters so money is quite tight!

Has anyone quit group and been successful going it alone? Any tips?!

I'm in the same boat as you. Been on the plan 10 months and lost 6 Stone so far and never struggled sticking to the plan. Just had the bombshell dropped today that next week will be the last class as my consultant has decided she can't run our group anymore. We've been given a list of other classes we can go to instead but if it's not my group i'm not sure I even want to go anymore. I scared if I go it alone I might end up falling off the wagon though so just sure what to do at all!

Wow, 6 stone is incredible!! Do you have much more to lose? My week of going it alone hasn’t been great, STS, though to be fair I had a big weekend that’s been planned for a while and wanted to enjoy it! I think I’ll see how I get on this week then maybe join a new group if I’m not seeing results. I think perhaps I need the motivation of someone else weighing me!

Why is your consultant leaving?

Those are some great losses between you!

I will say from my own experience that the second I stopped going to group, all went to ****.

I think you're right, I'm gonna be mainlining cake by the weekend! I've just messaged the consultant saying I'm having a bit of a wobble so hopefully she'll force me in to going next week. That said, she's never replied to any of my other messages!

I have been considering leaving the group to continue at home. I'm hating going. Considering it's supposed to be non judgemental, last week for example 6 people commented on my legs and clothes. It makes me feel uncomfortable (whether they mean well or not). It wouldn't be acceptable for a man to talk about a womans legs, so why do women think it's ok. I came home, and threw my skirt in the bin. Every single week, all I get standing in the queue is stares and comments. I know they aren't being negative, I just don't like it.

I have been considering leaving the group to continue at home. I'm hating going. Considering it's supposed to be non judgemental, last week for example 6 people commented on my legs and clothes. It makes me feel uncomfortable (whether they mean well or not). It wouldn't be acceptable for a man to talk about a womans legs, so why do women think it's ok. I came home, and threw my skirt in the bin. Every single week, all I get standing in the queue is stares and comments. I know they aren't being negative, I just don't like it.

It's really sad that people have made you feel self conscious and uncomfortable.
I've seen that you have lost a lot of weight, congratulations xxxx
Maybe change your group? A fresh start with new faces might help. Maybe have a chat with your consultant in private and tell her/him how you are feeling, that's what they are there for, help and support.

Oh, and get that skirt out of the bin young lady. I'll bet you look fantastic, and they are jealous, that's why they comment. On your fantasticness.xxxx

I had a great first 12 months with SW - lost 3st 3lbs. I have had a disruptive few months, travelling alot with work and taking up various sports which left me unable to attend class consistently. I made the effort to attend a class each week, even if it wasn't my normal class but I felt my progress stagnate. I went on holiday last month and I'm at 3st weight loss, 3lbs away from my lowest weight before holidays but I definitely think not being able to go to group has contributed to my weight loss stalling.

I knew I put on last week, and went to another of my consultant's group because I needed the routine again, I needed to go back to having that structure and just the feeling of knowing I would have to weigh-in each week.

My advice would be to stick with it as best you can, unless you're absolutely sure you won't fall off the rails - once you start to slip I would imagine it would be quite hard to go back to that group.

Are you far from target? You have done brilliantly so far - really impressive. Maybe worth trying to get to target so you have that luxury of only having to go once every 6 weeks!

It's really sad that people have made you feel self conscious and uncomfortable.
I've seen that you have lost a lot of weight, congratulations xxxx
Maybe change your group? A fresh start with new faces might help. Maybe have a chat with your consultant in private and tell her/him how you are feeling, that's what they are there for, help and support.

Oh, and get that skirt out of the bin young lady. I'll bet you look fantastic, and they are jealous, that's why they comment. On your fantasticness.xxxx
I would say, try it, it's always there to go back to if you need it. You will know enough to now to eat well and know your danger points. Personally ...for me... I don't want to be forever in a slimming group, I want to be able to manage food better and have a life...take the heat out of it...you have done a brilliant job so far, well done!!!

I would say, try it, it's always there to go back to if you need it. You will know enough to now to eat well and know your danger points. Personally ...for me... I don't want to be forever in a slimming group, I want to be able to manage food better and have a life...take the heat out of it...you have done a brilliant job so far, well done!!!

Thanks, I have been ignoring the comments and just getting on with it.

I hated my group so I've been an online member (which is pretty much going it alone) for the last year and have lost 3st in that year. That's with still having a life, meals out, holidays etc. Slow and steady but I'm happy with that. If you know what you want then getting there is just a state of mind. :)

Back