contraception and weightloss?

loolahoop

Silver Member
does anyone on here find it harder to loose weight while usuing hormone based contraception?
i lost weight years ago (albeit not very healthily) and it seemed to come off so easily, but i had the implant put in last year and since then my weight rocketed, and it is comin off but quite slowly, and my doc told me that the implnt does not affect weight but a few people have said they have put on more weight since usuing it and other contraceptives.. so i just wondered what every1 elses experineces were? x

I found i didnt gain any weight on the injection, however i couldnt drive back then and did alot of walking. Im on my second implant now and have piled 2stone on...but i passed my driving test 3yrs ago..go figure! Lol. My doctor told me plain and straight that weight is calories in vs calories out and hormone based contraception should not be blamed for weight gain, your food/exercise intake is to blame. It made me feel better because i want to keep the implant (even though my periods are abit of a pain in the ass!!) and it meant o could do something about my huge butt, lol.x

I have a mirena coil, and I keep blaming it (and giving up smoking) for me having put on 2.5 stone in 18 months. In reality it's probably nothing to do with the coil at all...although because my hormone levels were a bit screwy before I do think that the increased hormone levels have affected my appetite. The problem is what I choose to shove in my gob when I get an attack of the munchies...cake is bad, fruit is good! Haha! ;)

I have had almost every hormone contraceptive over the years except depo. The best one was mirena, lost with that but every other one has contributed half a stone which has been hard to shift. Interestingly the one thing which has had the most adverse effect on my weight and ability to lose was doing the Cambridge diet. Only vlcd I've ever done. I lost all my weight very quickly but put it back on very quickly and I suspect a number of other medical problems were also related to doing it. It's awful what we do to our bodies! Am hoping SW is my apology to my poor body and what I've expected of it over the years.

The only thing that affects your weight is how many caloriws you consume compared to how many calories you burn!

Some people find that when they have any form of hormonal contraceptive they have a tendency to eat more food & crave certain foods, but YOU are the only one who has control over what you put in your mouth! Something with 100 calories in it still has 100 calories in it when you're on the pill! Just don't eat it!

I had the mirena coil fitted last October, having joined SW the month before. I've had no problems losing weight. I have had the mini-pill in the past and put on weight with that, though that was probably because I had just had my daughter and basically sat at home and ate biscuits!

Unfortunately in my case and I suspect in many other people's case it is not a simple mathematical calories in calories out equation. I understand what you are saying kingleds but weight loss and gain is not always equal for all people as metabolism etc will have a bearing. Someone weighing 20 stones and consuming the recommended daily amount of calories will almost certainly lose weight whilst someone at 10 stones may maintain. I suppose we aren't all working from a level playing field.

peacelily said:
Unfortunately in my case and I suspect in many other people's case it is not a simple mathematical calories in calories out equation. I understand what you are saying kingleds but weight loss and gain is not always equal for all people as metabolism etc will have a bearing. Someone weighing 20 stones and consuming the recommended daily amount of calories will almost certainly lose weight whilst someone at 10 stones may maintain. I suppose we aren't all working from a level playing field.

Absolutely hun. Probably didn't explain myself very well! What I meant is if I eat something which is 100 calories in it, and I'm not on the pill. It's got 100 calories in it. If I go on the pill, that same bit of food has not changed its calories. So in reality, being onthe pill should make no difference, IF you stick to plan.

The pill & a whole.bunch of other things are used as excuses why people don't loose on a variety of Slimming Plans. The fact is, they all work, to varying degrees of success, if you stick to them!

Last edited:
When I first started the pill many moons ago I put weight on and was convinced this was the cause.
However, it also coincided with me being in a relationship with someone who loved eating out and getting takeaways on a regular basis - go figure!

This is really interesting...

I was on the pill from 16 until I was 26 so 10 years...I came off it last summer as I had just had enough of it, i went on it for medical reasons with very heavy painful periods, and wanted to see if I had 'grown out of' such painful periods (Good news is I seem to have done). I did put all of my weight on from about 20 but my lifestyle also changed as I went from an active teenager to an adult who spent 40 hours a week stuck at a desk working very unsociable hours so I cannot blame the pill for this however when I decided to come off this I didn't tell anyone other than my boyfriend (who wasn't very impressed, but I went with the tough it's my body stance) and within a few weeks of having come off this I had people asking if I had lost weight as I looked different. I hadn't lost any weight but I think whilst on the pill I must have been retaining water but that had gone so I did look different enough for people to notice.

Plus, and this I do blame the the pill for this, I used to have bad/grumpy moods and generally have days where I felt like a complete b*tch and felt pretty rubbish about myself, I did hide this really well so most people would never have known how I felt inside but it was like I was a stroppy teenager at home which was the total opposite of how my personality had ever been before I went on the pill and my poor boyfriend had to put up with my eratic moods. However within a couple of months of being off the pill I feel like a different person and back to my old self, my boyfriend has even commented on how unbelieveble the change has been and much more he likes living with me now haha One year on I can say that coming off the pill was the best choice I have made for years for me!

So whilst I don't know if hormonal contraception can be blamed for weight gain or slower losses it is interesting to see how this impacts 'real' women rather than test cases for the medical profession. My personal feeling is is does impact everyone differently so there are probably people out there who have gained wait because of this due to how it can change your appitite x

Last edited:
I'm on the cerazette pill. Used to be on mycrogynon but it gave me acne, then used dianette but when I changed doctors the nurse said I shouldn't be on dianette for so long as my bmi was over 30. So changed to cerazette which is fine. I've had pretty good losses, and don't feel as if its stopped me.

My cousin has lost 2 stone she joined the same time as me, she has the implant and has polycystic ovaries and still managed to lose that.

Back