Contraception causing weight gain..

laurenmay

Gold Member
I'm currently on the depo provera injection and have been since July 2011. I find it's giving me really bad cravings for junk food and sugar, as I was told it would, and I was also warned it might cause weight gain..

Well, I've gone from 9.10 stone to 14.12 stone in months, and I admittedly haven't been eating great so I understand my drastic weight gain could be down to this.. But I was wondering if anyone else has gained a lot of weight from being on a certain form of contraception?

Hi,
I do sympathise with you. I had an impanon fitted in July last year and I wouldnt say that it made me crave anything but my appetite did increase and I have found weight losses to be slow and small when ive tried calorie controlled or healthy eating. The only thing I found that shifted the weight was a VLCD.
Im not saying its all down to the implanon but in the past when ive done slimming world I have lost more weight at a quicker rate then now..... but then that could be down to me changing eating habits too and not eating so much rubbish.
Do you write down what you eat? I presume you follow a diet or healthy eating plan of some sort?

I have been having the depo provera injections for around twenty years! This is the first i have heard about it causing cravings. I certainly didn't experience any problems with it in the early days, or since. My weight has never gone over 11st10 (my heaviest ever) which was a recent thing and as soon as i had seen the damage on the scales I started dukan and the fat is coming off very quickly. Previous to this my weight has gone from 8st to 10st throughout the depo years, and only I am to blame!! Depo is fantastic for me NO PERIODS!

Charlie Woo Woo said:
Hi,
I do sympathise with you. I had an impanon fitted in July last year and I wouldnt say that it made me crave anything but my appetite did increase and I have found weight losses to be slow and small when ive tried calorie controlled or healthy eating. The only thing I found that shifted the weight was a VLCD.
Im not saying its all down to the implanon but in the past when ive done slimming world I have lost more weight at a quicker rate then now..... but then that could be down to me changing eating habits too and not eating so much rubbish.
Do you write down what you eat? I presume you follow a diet or healthy eating plan of some sort?

I've done a lot of research into it and apparently one of the main side effects is weight gain, and
I read on a few sites that the depo provera is actually an anabolic steroid?! When I went for my last shot in June the nurse was concerned about my weight gain & told me the depo can do that and if I'm heavier at the next appointment I'll have to come off it -- and I'm half a stone heavier since June.

I think all women respond differently, some will get no side effects & it'll work really well for them and others will react quite badly! So I'll be coming off depo and switching to the pill again.

I didn't have the injection. But I had the same issue with the arm implants. I put on a lot of weight

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I had trouble with the implanon, gained a lot of weight! Couldn't go on the pill as fell pregnant while on the pill so got the coil, lost weight fine with calorie counting and JUDDD so no problems with the coil for me :)

Emilyx said:
I had trouble with the implanon, gained a lot of weight! Couldn't go on the pill as fell pregnant while on the pill so got the coil, lost weight fine with calorie counting and JUDDD so no problems with the coil for me :)

The implanon is my last resort because every other contraception makes me depressed except this one. The Coil gave me severe stomach cramps and I just bled non stop. The things us woman have to do hey :)

Im on the depo jag and found it made me crave sugar constantly. AND i bleed for 8 or 9 weeks out of the 10
Ive just started slimming world and am doing well so far, and am not getting another jag when its due next week so I hope to put the cravings back to their 1 day out of 4 weeks..thats the plan anyway... :)

Lynds1980 said:
Im on the depo jag and found it made me crave sugar constantly. AND i bleed for 8 or 9 weeks out of the 10
Ive just started slimming world and am doing well so far, and am not getting another jag when its due next week so I hope to put the cravings back to their 1 day out of 4 weeks..thats the plan anyway... :)

jag? lol Id stay away from one of them too!!! ;-)
hope your body adjusts back soon :)

I'm really lucky as the depo injection made me lose my taste for sweet food and so actually helped me to lose weight! I've tried loads of methods of contraception though, and have had really big problems with the pill etc, so maybe keep trying things till you find something that suits you.

The injection is not causing you to gain weight, contraception is messing with your hormones which will affect your body chemistry and how it deals with insulin as well as your moods which may be causing you to comfort eat slightly more than you need (just a few calories like 1/2 an apple daily over a year can cause a real issue). It's a really unfortunate situation to be in and requires extra will power and determination to take control over both your body chemistry and your sexual freedom.... But you can do it :). Ask your GP to refer you to a dietician (GP's unfortunately are unsympathetic to weight gain until it's a huge problem - I know as I have been there). Speak to your dietician about your issues and they will help you find the right eating plan to fit with your contraception choice.

I really hope you find the solution and balance you need. Stay strong x

The implanon is my last resort because every other contraception makes me depressed except this one. The Coil gave me severe stomach cramps and I just bled non stop. The things us woman have to do hey :)

Oh I know! Should put something in the men! Lol, I had bleeding non stop with the implanon, so much 3 weeks out of 4 I was bleeding, was horrible & was told it was a hormone imbalance. No problems so far with the coil & I've had it in for just over a year :) xx

Back