Cooking carbonara & porridge on the hob?

SammyB

Hiya, I am thinking of buying a winter warmer bumper pack to give me more choice in the evening but my microwave went bang a few months ago and we never replaced it. Can the carbonara & porridge be cooked on the hob and taste okay?

Hiya, I am thinking of buying a winter warmer bumper pack to give me more choice in the evening but my microwave went bang a few months ago and we never replaced it. Can the carbonara & porridge be cooked on the hob and taste okay?

Ok this might not be terribly helpful since I haven't tried it on the hob. However, the porridge shouldn't be a problem at all, you make the mixture with cold water anyway so you could mix it straight in the pan you're using. Then slowly heat and stir I'd say, very much like ready brek.

The carbonara could be a bit more tricky just to get the pasta soft. But I read in an older thread that someone cooks the pasta bits separately and the sauce mixes nicely with hot water and then you can just combine the two again. Wouldn't take two secs to put the mixture through a sieve to do that.

Hope this helps :)

If you get the carbonara nice and hot on the hob and then leave it to stand for a couple minutes it should give the pasta chance to soak up the liquid. Needs a little patience (not always easy when hungry lol) but it works ok :)

Back