Cooking for One

Pollywotsit

Silver Member
I don't know if anyone else lives alone like me, but I started SW 4 weeks ago, and I've been freezing stuff like mad till my freezer is just about jam packed. I've been making casseroles, shepherds pies, hotpots, all things that are much too big for one, so has anyone got any ideas please apart from jacket pots? Thank you :)

I do the same. I also buy the bags of fresh salmon and freeze those, taking out a portion at a time. Were you looking foe further ideas on things to freeze, or single meals that you don't need to freeze?

Start weight: 17st 7lbs
Week 1 -4lbs
Week 2 -2lbs
Week 3 -1.5lbs
Current weight: 16st 13.5lb
Total loss: 7.5lbs

I think it is more economical to make big meals and freeze in portions.....but if your running out of space....

Pasta is also a meal you can serve for one, fresh veg and chicken. Yum

Or Omlette

I make a great pizza using a weight watchers wrap. Cheese as hexa. Lots of veg, meat and tomato based sauce.

Potato wedges are another favourite of mine.

Stirfrys. Buy a pack of dried noodles - they usually come in nest shapes. Boil up one portion and throw the noodles into your meat/veg and soy sauce to make a tasty stir fry

Hi, yes more like making things to eat the same day so that I get a good variation. All the recipes I've looked at are usually for 4, but that means freezing at least 1 portion again if I only use half the ingredients, and I've filled the freezer with blanched veg, and the excess meals I've already cooked. duh!
Oh, I'd forgotten omelettes, so they will go on my list, :thankyou:

Or noodle soup - with stock and veggies of your choice - could add prawns, some chicken, spices etc to taste. That's pretty quick too.

I get bags of mixed frozen fruit and take a small bowls worth out a few hours before - great for part of a breakfast or dessert.

I quite often have a good breakfast and lunch these days then make a juice (with veg and syn the fruit) for tea, more filling than you'd think. Smoothies are good too for that, especially if you're struggling with your HEa.

Small risottos....

I buy bags of ready to go salad leaves. Handy superfree accompaniment to most dishes. They're bulky though, but stay fresh in more manageable portions. New potatoes are another handy one to have in in that respect.

I'll be interested to hear other's ideas too thinking about it. :)

Week 1 -4lbs
Week 2 -2lbs
Week 3 -1.5lbs

My fridge and freezer look like a market gardeners paradise, I MUST be buying too much fresh stuff! I was looking at all the different berries this morning, but after buying the "necessaries" I had no where to put them. I didn't think of buying a bag of frozen mixed fruit, actually didn't know you could get them...I was outside Iceland too! When some bags of broccolli and cauli have gone, I'll get one of those, thank you. :eat:

Well done on breaking your first stone number Pinkie...I'm hoping to do the same this week! x

Good luck Polly! Do you have a diary on here?

I buy the Sainsbury's basics mixed berries. One bag does me two breakfasts. Bargain.

Week 1 -4lbs
Week 2 -2lbs
Week 3 -1.5lbs

Hi again, no I don't have a diary on here, I'm having enough problems doing the diary for my group ...first 3 weeks everything was in the wrong columns. then again, I'm new to SW and to this forum. I don't make any adventurous meals...yet, just plainold fashioned cooking, cutting ot all the naughty bits...but give me time! ;)

Well if you decide yo keep one on here let me know. How much do you want to lose? Any goals?

Week 1 -4lbs
Week 2 -2lbs
Week 3 -1.5lbs

5 stones.....groan! I started at 15st10, and am down to 15st 1.5, it's all down the left hand side same as yours. Have never been so big in my life, but I blame my hobby, I'm a card-maker and have put this on since I started sitting making them. 10 years now, and I've just spread!:(

Oh right, I don't have any sort of smart phone so no idea how they work. I don't know what's worse, seeing the weight in lbs or stones ! I checked my ideal weight last night (according to something online, and it was 8stones 1lb...........I'd be positively anorexic, haven't been that size since I was about 13!! 11stones makes me a size 12, at least it used to, so that's my target, same as yours. xx we'll get there!

Hiya,

When I was 17, I got down to 9st 10lbs, and to do that I was eating hardly anything - a sandwich and an apple a day. People said they could see my hip bones through my trousers. That was about midway on my healthy range. Lowest was 8 st something. I'm aiming for 11st 7lbs this time as it's near the top of that range (I dream of being classed a medically healthy weight. Remains to be seen if I make it or not. It's tough hey!

Week 1 -4lbs
Week 2 -2lbs
Week 3 -1.5lbs
Week 4 -2lbs
Current weight: 16st 11.5lb
Total loss: 9.5lbs
74.5/84 to go.....

I don't really take any notice of these pre-conceived ideas about what you should weigh for your height. My daughter is 5ft 6 and weighs 10.2 and she's in proportion and a size 12, she doesn't need to be a stone and a half lower than that. When I used to get weighed at work, I was 11st. 6lbs, and the nurse said that seemed perfect for me. I've always been "well covered!!":)
I did put a post on for my first diary....but not going to do it daily, I would bore the pants (or knickers) off of everyone!!:hide:

Hi Polly just looking through some of the suggestions - you could do SW quiches in muffin tins which would give you 12 mini quiches and they would be free you could have them with beans or salad they are quite filling because you can fill them with lots of veg.

On the fruit/berries/smoothies front - you would have to syn these so be careful

I'll take a look. Mine consists if all sorts of ramblings. I'm sure I do bore the pants off everyone.

I agree about the weights. But even if it's a case of just sneaking in, it'd be nice to do it, just once in my adult life. Personally I suspect that 12 stone is more comfortable for me, but who knows how I'll feel when I get down to that weight. Time will tell.

Did you try any new single person meals out? I cheated tonight and just had a packet of ryvita minis as my second HEb (I've find my first ever proper red day today). Just don't want anymore, and am not about to eat for the sake of it.

Week 1 -4lbs
Week 2 -2lbs
Week 3 -1.5lbs
Week 4 -2lbs
74.5/84 to go.....

a good one is 100g of pasta with some whizzed up spinach,basil a small garlic clove and a dollop of fat free yoghurt and a handful or so of roasted veggies. on the SW website the other one is mushroom tagliatele, another good one is a chicken breast a tin of tomatoes some onion garlic ginger 2 tbsp curry powder and 1tsp cinnamon then have frying off the chicken, onion garlic and ginger, cook out the powder then a tin of tomatoes nice with a packet of batchelors rice ALL FREE

You could make chicken pizza - slice a chicken breast almost in half and open it out like a butterfly. Then coat with tomato puree, add and topping I use mushrooms onions and peppers pop it in the oven and when almost cooked sprinkle grated cheese over the top (hexa) and put back in the oven to melt. Lush with salad

You could make chicken pizza - slice a chicken breast almost in half and open it out like a butterfly. Then coat with tomato puree, add and topping I use mushrooms onions and peppers pop it in the oven and when almost cooked sprinkle grated cheese over the top (hexa) and put back in the oven to melt. Lush with salad
Ooh someone was talking about that on group the other week. I imagined the chicken being a bit tough though. Is that not the case?

Week 1 -4lbs
Week 2 -2lbs
Week 3 -1.5lbs
Week 4 -2lbs
74.5/84 to go.....

No not at all it only takes about 20mins to cook and is lush. You could also use a warburtons squarish wrap the white have less syns than the wholemeal. Same principal smother with puree and add toppings

Back