Cooking with Quorn mince

Trash

Still fighting
I bought some of this today but have my doubts that i'm going to like it!

What are your thoughts / experiences with using it?

I was told its always better if used in a chilli or spag bol to let it rest in fridge to take on the flavours of the dish?

I tried it once but was violently sick after eating it! :( By bro in law was the same. So never had it again, we must have some sort of intollerance. I remember it seemed a bit dry. Shudder to think of it but dont let that put you off, probably just us. Lots of people really like it

We like it in my house and use it in spag bol/shepherds pie. We never leave it in the fridge or anything like u said, just use it like we would normal mince. I'm a convert as I don't like normal beef mince urgh

We like it in my house and use it in spag bol/shepherds pie. We never leave it in the fridge or anything like u said, just use it like we would normal mince. I'm a convert as I don't like normal beef mince urgh

Ahh thanks it was the SW host that said to cook it in with the passata or what ever and then leave it over night in fridge - he said it makes it much better? lol

Sorry wasn't finished! :-/

As I said I use quorn mince a lot, just the same way as normal mince, I don't intentionally let it sit to take in flavour but it's always good the day after too! :)

My favourites are spag bolognaise, mince & tatties and cottage pie

Im vegetarian so only follow the green plan. I use quorn mince to make a chilli dish, quorn pieces to make Quorn Pilau. The list is endless. I also think the flavours are better the next day.

I'm a veggie so plenty of quorn for me! I don't leave it overnight but I do try to let it cook down for a good while if I'm doing chilli or spag bol so it soaks up all the flavours nicely :)

Eeewwww nope not for me couldn't eat it - the texture was too hard and the taste was yukkkk even though I added loads of garlic/spices/herbs!

Just going to stick to the extra lean mince

Trash said:
Ahh thanks it was the SW host that said to cook it in with the passata or what ever and then leave it over night in fridge - he said it makes it much better? lol

I make a lasagne with it using tomato purée, garlic purée (needs to be syn'd) onions mushroom and two tins of chopped tomato. I use one 430g jar Tesco white lasagne sauce. I make 8 decent portions and it works out 3 Syns. I add herbs - oregano and basil

You could use chopped garlic instead

I leave it in the fridge uncooked overnight then cook it the next day and it doesn't taste much different than beef mince as the flavours have infused

Trash said:
Eeewwww nope not for me couldn't eat it - the texture was too hard and the taste was yukkkk even though I added loads of garlic/spices/herbs!

Just going to stick to the extra lean mince

What did you end up doing?

Maybe try Tesco meat free mince, very different taste and texture from Quorn and only 1 Syn per 100g which is plenty

I did make lasagne with mine and it was still yukk but might give the tesco's meat free mince a whirl ;o)

Trash said:
I did make lasagne with mine and it was still yukk but might give the tesco's meat free mince a whirl ;o)

It is different so I'd recommend that before giving up on vegetarian mince. I made 8 portions of lasagne out of one 454g bag, making it 1/2 Syn a portion

Back