Coped better in the Summer

Brightonrosie

I want to be fitter again
I have so much more difficulty sticking to plan in the winter. I'm wondering if anyone new has any ideas for one pot meals that do not include tomatoes or yogurt/fromage frais and with minimal syns x I have completely exhausted all ideas. I dug out my SW winter comfort recipe book and so many of them have tomatoes in

I made beef stew tonight!

Celery, carrots, onion. Dice, fry in frylight.

Add beef, fry until browned. Season with salt and lots of black pepper.

Add beef stock and 250 ml (8.5 syns) red wine.

Bring to the boil, lower to a simmer and simmer for 2-3 hours, til the stock reduces and thickens and the beef is tender and falling apart.

Serve with roast new pots and butternut squash mash, or any other veg of your choice.

My other fave is:

Hearty chicken soup/stew

celery, onion and carrot dice, fry then add:

Skinless chicken thighs, with or without bones.

Add chicken stock, oregano, garlic, 2 bay leaves and the juice and zest of a lemon.

Bring to boil, then lower and simmer for 2 hours.

For the last 20 mins of cooking, add a couple of handfuls of pearl barley. If you want, add some white wine and syn accordingly, but this dish doesn't need it whereas I think the beef is made amazingly more delicious with it.

For an alternative flavour, take out the oregano and lemon and add tarragon instead. Not too much as it can be very strong. Start with one level tablespoon of dry tarragon and add more to taste.

They're my two favourites, my dear Rosie. I'm not much of a tomato person myself!! xxx

I find it easier in the winter.
Soups:
superspeed (carrots, broc & cauli, onions, black pepper, garlic & stock)
Pea & Mint
Butternut squash
Carrot & coriander

Also love on a green day - SW cheese onion & potato pie

Back