cost cutting

jezebel

hi just wonderd if anyone has any ideas on saving on our food bills ,
i thought i would try buying frozen bags of veg rather than fresh, and im going to buy whole chickens as someone sugested on here because then i get the breasts and can use the bones for soup ect.
any ideas ?

Planning your weekly menu so you only buy what you need and will use - no waste or throwing away food because it's gone off.

Batch cooking, particularly when things are on offer.

Slow cooking so you can buy cheaper cuts of meat and dried pulses.

Bulking recipes out with pulses and root vegetables.

Planning your meals around fruit and veg that are in season because they are cheaper then. Frozen soft fruit rather than fresh when out of season.

Good old home-cooking rather than pre-prepared packets and ready meals.

Taking a packed lunch to work instead of nipping out to the local shop/cafe.

Making your own yoghurt instead of buying it from the shops.

I buy most of my fruit and veg at my local market, i have large family so it all gets used but if not you could blanch it, the freeze it.
plan your meals
look out for special offers and look out for reduced items which can be frozen.
frozen chicken breasts are cheaper than fresh or as you mentioned by whole chicken and use the bits.
use shop brands rather than named ones.
hope this helps

Hi Jezebel,
I have a large family - including 3 teenage boys!!! So you can imagine how much my shopping bill is each week!!
I've found that i have to shop around. I buy some of my shopping from Asda and then walk across the carpark (i'm lying there i drive across the carpark:D) to get my bits from Iceland. They have 4 pints of sk.milk for only £1 and do bags of frozen diced chicken 800g for £4. It's great for chucking into a curry or for kebabs.
This week however i'm trying out my local small veg shop - they seem to be alot cheaper than the supermarket and the smell OMG it smelt so fresh. The apples and onions - mmmm! Then i'll nip to Iceland just across the road (and i'll have to walk to this one) then i'll nip into Aldi and morrisons to see what's on special. I know it'll take more time than just buying everything in one go but you do save money and i love to bag a bargain.
I think buying frozen fruit and veg helps. Bulking foods up with pulses and beans. Cooking food frm scratch and buying the shops own brands.
HTH
Kerry

Hi,

I do that as well, try and get as much as I can from Aldi/Lidl and then anything else usually from Morrisons. My OH always moans (he has to drive me about) but I don't think he realises how much I save a week by doing that. I am going to try a farmers market on Saturday and see how much cheaper that is :D

I have just had a leaflet put through my door for Farmfoods. They are selling 1kg packs of chicken breasts or mini chicken fillets at 3 for £10. I am going to get some of these, as they are frozen individually they will be great for popping in my steamer for my lunch or for making a soup. Will be paying a visit very soon. I also use their bags of frozen peppers, leeks and stir fry veg for soups etc. They are always in when I need them and are great for using small amounts!!! Happy days ..................:)

just started buying packs of frozen veg it lasts longer and is cheaper, will check out the milk and chicken from iceland thanks girls x

Back