Couch to 5k challenge

After my epic fail the other night, I'm going to repeat Week 5 day 2 tonight and then attempt the biggie on Tuesday instead!

After my epic fail the other night, I'm going to repeat Week 5 day 2 tonight and then attempt the biggie on Tuesday instead!

Hope you dont have any more kitchen incidents like last time lol!

I was meant to start week 3 yesterday but had an awful hangover & still felt rough today so gonna repeat week 2 day 3 tomorrow & start week 3 on weds. We'll get there eventually :) x

Phew, was feeling a bit crap for repeating, but I guess we're even more committed for doing more than we needed to, right?! Don't blame you for not wanting to run with a hangover! Good luck with the next one x

Phew, was feeling a bit crap for repeating, but I guess we're even more committed for doing more than we needed to, right?! Don't blame you for not wanting to run with a hangover! Good luck with the next one x

Haha thats a great way of looking at it!

Im currently sat at home pondering whether to go to the gym or not :-/ I want to go but am really bloated & windy at the minute - Im sure it would help to go but I dont really want to let one rip by acccident whilst on the treadmill haha. Think Ill give it half an hour & see how I feel then! x

:D glad you went, hope you're feeling less bloated (and windy!) now - it's always the initial thought of getting out there and doing something that is worse than actually doing it! It was my aqua aerobics/swimming night tonight, I love it but mainly because it gets me out of doing my boys' bedtime! Tomorrow I'm meant to be facing Week 5 Day 3 (again) but already have a mental block about it...

I'm not doing the NHS podcasts but using an app on my iPhone called "ease into 5k" - think I may have paid a little for it too.

Just finished week 6, day 1 today which consisted of the usual 5 min warm up and cool down with 8 mins running either side of 3 mins walking.

Sneak peek at the next day ups the 8 to 10 while day 3 is running for 20 mins straight!! Ahhhhh! Scary!!!

Did week 3 day 2 this morning & I LOVED it! My legs not hurting anywhere near as much as it used to - Ive realis

Did week 3 day 2 this morning & I LOVED it! My leg isnt hurting anywhere near as much as it used to - Ive realised it was hurting more because I was tensing up, & the more confident Im getting the more Im relaxing into it. Yey :) Plus Ive managed to get my breathing right which I was struggling with before. I even turned up the pace towards the end!

The thought of running for more than 3 minutes at a time is still daunting but if I look back on how far Ive come Im sure I can do it :)

How is everyone else doing? x

Was planning in getting back to running Monday but have been told I'm working and have to get up at 6am so no running for me....
So planning on Wednesday x

Did week 3 day 2 this morning & I LOVED it! My leg isnt hurting anywhere near as much as it used to - Ive realised it was hurting more because I was tensing up, & the more confident Im getting the more Im relaxing into it. Yey :) Plus Ive managed to get my breathing right which I was struggling with before. I even turned up the pace towards the end!

The thought of running for more than 3 minutes at a time is still daunting but if I look back on how far Ive come Im sure I can do it :)

How is everyone else doing? x

Yay! Great to hear how well you're doing :) You'll be saying that about 5 mins, and then 8 mins soon enough, I'm sure!

I've just done Week 6 Day 1, and feel really good (and really red-faced). Still on the treadmill, but pushed myself to run a little bit faster and covered 4 k today (today's 'run' was 34 mins in total, so longer than usual, but it definitely felt like a milestone getting to just 1k off the big 5k!)

Yay! Great to hear how well you're doing :) You'll be saying that about 5 mins, and then 8 mins soon enough, I'm sure!

I've just done Week 6 Day 1, and feel really good (and really red-faced). Still on the treadmill, but pushed myself to run a little bit faster and covered 4 k today (today's 'run' was 34 mins in total, so longer than usual, but it definitely felt like a milestone getting to just 1k off the big 5k!)

Well done youre doing really great!

I got quite excited before as I had a look in a couple of sports shops & realised I can get some running trainers for £30 - I assumed theyd be a lot more expensive. I havent got the cash spare yet but am definately gonna get some when I next get paid :) will look & feel like a proper runner soon lol x

I still haven't got running shoes and I'm 2 weeks out of C25k! I must get this sorted before race for life. My trainers are very good and comfy but proper running shoes will look good :) I was thinking of getting the running Sketchers shapers??!! £40 in Sports Direct

I still haven't got running shoes and I'm 2 weeks out of C25k! I must get this sorted before race for life. My trainers are very good and comfy but proper running shoes will look good :) I was thinking of getting the running Sketchers shapers??!! £40 in Sports Direct

Oooh are they the ones that shape your legs & bum?! X

Yeah, they're called Sketchers Go Run. They're also on eBay brand new ranging from £35-£45. Definitely buying a pair on payday!

That sounds really good - do you think theyll make running much harder work though?

Ive just done week 3 day 3 & am so proud of myself as I did it outside! I last ran outside in week 1 & it was awful - I just ran around a field which was boring & I really struggled with it plus I was hungover which didnt help! So this time I started on the pavements but felt a bit self conscious so went off track down a public footpath which was much better.

I only went outside as the gyms are closed today but I think Ill start doing it more often for a bit of variety. Im going to do week 3 day 3 again on weds at the gym & then start week 4 on saturday. Im gettibg more & more confident each time its great :) x

Glad to hear your confidence is building! I've ran outdoors all the time, it's tougher on the legs and also mentally, much better reward than the gym, plus it's freeeee =D

I think they make your run more comfortable, I hope so anyway, perhaps need to go try them on in a shop and see how they feel! Quite expensive in stores though, about £60!

Hey everyone,

I've just signed up to do a 10k in May 2014 (so quite a while away) but I'm unfit and very overweight.

I'm also going to Thailand in Nov 2013 and I'm aiming to be 3 stone down by this point. I currently go to the gym (although I've fallen off the wagon big time) and I'm starting 1 swim a week.

So, really interested in this COuch to 5K program - can it be started on a treadmill? I'd like to complete the first 9 weeks on a treadmill then build on it by including outdoor running/jogging.

Very apprehensive as I've never been a fan of running, it's well out my comfort zone which is a good thing!

Nice to meet you :) I'm on week 6 and still going strong on the treadmill - just can't find time to fit in an outdoor run, whereas I can do it here in the evening or early morning and not have to worry about childcare etc (I have a treadmill in my kitchen which has been used as a clothes horse for about 5 years!). I still am not a huge fan of running, but now I know I can do it (in short bursts) it's definitely a good feeling every time you last a little bit longer! 3 stone before November is definitely doable - especially if you're running as well, so good luck! I've lost very very nearly 4 stone since January and it's definitely been helped by following the Couch to 5k programme!

Back