Couch to 5k challenge

I did week 7 run 2 yesterday and had to pull up at the 3.3km mark - around 25 mins so I was 5-mins short of my target. My hip started really hurting so I thought I'd walk for a bit, to let it go off and then run again as I was miles from my car. Unfortunately it didn't ease at all and just carried on throbbing so I have made an appointment to see a physiotherapist in about an hour to see what on earth I've done. From reading on t'interweb, it might be hip bursitis - which could scupper my plans for Race for Life on 14th July :(

I did week 7 run 2 yesterday and had to pull up at the 3.3km mark - around 25 mins so I was 5-mins short of my target. My hip started really hurting so I thought I'd walk for a bit, to let it go off and then run again as I was miles from my car. Unfortunately it didn't ease at all and just carried on throbbing so I have made an appointment to see a physiotherapist in about an hour to see what on earth I've done. From reading on t'interweb, it might be hip bursitis - which could scupper my plans for Race for Life on 14th July :(

Hi All,

Hope its not too late to join this challenge. Jst found the forum and i am quite new to this site.

I am working through C25K at the moment and i am at week 6 Day 1. I complete this last night and i have found it really tough. Planning on staying with this week for a while until i find it easier to complete.

Hope everybody is getting on well. Planning on logging in daily for some great inspiration. I have just finished reading the entire thread and find ye all really inspirational.

Hope there is still people completing this challenge.

Chat soon.

I fell off too! I get to about 15 mins and then get ridiculously bored and stop :(

Good luck tomorrow - let us know how you get on - you may tempt me back! x

Same here lol. I got to the start of week 7 then was totally demotivated at the thought of just running 25 mins plus every time - its so boring! Have had a couple of weeks off plan anyway but am back on it tomorrow - think Ill just stick to doing week 6 for now though so I can keep doing the intervals.

Did you end up going after work aw_bless? x

Phew, Hazie - glad it's not just me who hasn't been transformed into the world's most enthusiastic runner! I liked the intervals, but the big blocks of running didn't seem like any kind of 'fun' any more, which is when I drifted off it! Good luck back on plan xx

I forgot my bloooooody gym kit - got out of the habit of grabbing it every morning! Ended up having to meet someone after work anyway to sell a spare Bruce Springsteen ticket I had for Sat.

The kit is already in my car! It has to happen tomorrow girls, I don't want to be unfit even if I do continue to lose weight - back to it - no excuses!!

I stopped running a fortnight ago to rest my hip and thankfully it helped because I was able to do my 5K Race for Life on Sunday. I did have to slow down between the 3 and 3.5K markers to a walk/run, walk/run due to a hill (beginner's nightmare!), the heat, the stitch and - I suspect - the two weeks of rest, but other than that I ran and came home in 35 mins and 39 seconds. Not bad for a 50yo who had never run in her life until 11th May. 20lbs lighter too! My hip has been a little sore but not as bad as it was a fortnight ago. I'm going to give it a few days to recover from the shock of 5K :p and than at the weekend I'm going to re-commence C25K, probably back-tracking to week 5 or 6... and pick it up from there. I've really got the running bug now and I'm already planning my next 5K :D

Hi all, I hope I'm not too late to join this challenge... I downloaded the 5k running app a while ago and have attempted it many times! However, I joined slimming world last Wednesday and this time I AM determined to run 5k!!! So starting tomorrow, I'm on it! I will run 5k! Any tips?? X

Believe in the programme! It really does prepare you to be able to run the distances listed each week... even in week 5 when you leap from 2 x 8mins with a 5-min break to twenty mins non-stop!! Believe you can do it and go out with a positive mental attitude. Also accept that occasionally you WILL have a "bum run" where you have to stop and don't feel like you can continue. We've all had those and it doesn't mean you should give up or become down about it. Put it behind you and try again. And DO have your rest days in between running, your body needs it to build muscle and adjust to the new regime. Most important - go out and ENJOY! I'm told it DOES get easier... although I'm not there yet! But I do enjoy it :)

ETA: You'll be amazed how your training and fitness will affect your stamina in daily life within a few weeks, like running up the stairs and walking uphill! All very good...

Thanks for the tips! I'm going to start tomorrow so will see how I get on! When you say rest days? Do you generally do a day, miss a day etc?

Yes, if you follow the C25K programme, you only run three days a week... See this page and tab down to see the schedule...

The Couch-to-5K ® Running Plan | C25K Mobile App

If you have headphones and want a "personal trainer" in your ear to let you know when to run and when to walk, you can download various free podcasts for each sesh. You can either get "Laura" off the NHS website, Robert.... here... Couch to 5k - C25K Running Program Or if you don't want talking and prefer music, this one has beeps when to walk and run... Podrunner: Intervals - Free Workout Music for 5K Training

:)

PS Also download a free tracking app like Endomondo as this will show you how far you've run, your speed (and how many calories you've burned! :p) It's a great record and you can watch yourself progress. Sometimes you may think you've run really slowly and badly and feel miserable then when you look you may see that you were actually faster than you thought you were and it'll cheer you up.

Hey - guess what??? I "graduated" last night. I set off with the intention of running 3K but I felt really good and in the zone, so I extended my loop and actually ran solidly for just over 5K!!! :) Pretty elated to be honest. I feel like I have achieved something like passing my driving test, now I can run how, when and where I want, rather than having to obey a podcast. I have another 5K fun run next month and then I may possibly think about the Bridge to 10K programme (yup, I'm not just a glutton for food, I'm a glutton for punishment too! :p)

Hey - guess what??? I "graduated" last night. I set off with the intention of running 3K but I felt really good and in the zone, so I extended my loop and actually ran solidly for just over 5K!!! :) Pretty elated to be honest. I feel like I have achieved something like passing my driving test, now I can run how, when and where I want, rather than having to obey a podcast. I have another 5K fun run next month and then I may possibly think about the Bridge to 10K programme (yup, I'm not just a glutton for food, I'm a glutton for punishment too! :p)

Woooo well done! I bet its an amazing feeling! I never got past week 7 & would have to go back again now but maybe one day lol x

I am doing this but following Jog Scotland programme. I got to wk 6 or 7 but had to give up due to shin splints. I am on w3 again but shin pains kicking in again. I have physio on tues again so,I will see wot they say, I will be devastated if I need to give it in. It is the one thing I thought I would be able to see through and keep it up.

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Oooh *winces* Shin splints HURT! I started developing those quite early on so did a week or two of stretches two or three times a day. Stretched before I ran and again afterwards (leaving heal on floor and stretching toes upwards) and thankfully that did the job and they went away again! Don't give up.... keep stretching....

Yay!! Well done Domane! That's fab!!

I haven't been focusing on distances yet, still just doing the minutes! My 5 min warm up and cool down today along with my 27 min run amounted to just over 3 miles though so I'm on the right track!!

It's so good to see this thread buzzing a bit again!

I reckon I could definitely run 5k on Friday!

Well done Domane! That's fab news! I'm about to do week 2 day 2 tomorrow and have done well so far! It still kills me at the moment but have visions of my motivation when I'm finding it hard and just go fr it! I WILL get there haha! X

Back